Making feminized seeds

SAgrower

Man! I think you opening a can of worms here.
I've been reading up on feminizing seed and the process involved. It was out of curiosity and I was not thinking about doing it. Definitely leaving that process to the professionals now.

Depending on which route you take is gonna involve a bit of horticulture doing it old school to a bit of science going commercial.

May be wrong, but hey, blame google. That's why this site is so informative.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, SAgrower said:

I have been meaning to ask this for a long time but when breeding, how do you ensure you only get feminized seeds?

By crossing two females. Plants under chemical influence grow viable male flowers, even though the plant is still a female with two X chromosomes, the pollen has only female chromosomes. Controlling airflow and keeping outside pollen out is hard. Its better to make feminized seeds in winter indoors when there are no males outside and the risk of getting pollinated is relatively low.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DamDave said:

But you guys are using chemicals, correct? What would the procedure be naturally? You would need a dedicated grow environment for starters, then some manual labour.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Why are chemicals an issue? 

Only natural way is rhodelization. Thing is though, well with the genetics I choose to work with, rhodelization is one of my selection criteria. Ie, selecting for females that resist it, and go into reveg mode instead. I don't want to breed with females that throw bananas at the end of their cycle... 

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 2

Why are chemicals an issue? 
Only natural way is rhodelization. Thing is though, well with the genetics I choose to work with, rhodelization is one of my selection criteria. Ie, selecting for females that resist it, and go into reveg mode instead. I don't want to breed with females that throw bananas at the end of their cycle... 
I'm coming across wrong. I'm trying to understand the difference between the way feminizing seeds naturally to doing it commercially.
Commercial I sort of understand but old school must have been a labour of love.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@SAgrower 

what's good bud, 

I think this might be the easiest way to explain it, though there are many layers of variables to consider.

you have 2 fully fems, right, you treat one with Silver Thiosulphate Solution or Colloidal Silver and it pushes pollen that carries the female genetic, use that to knock up the other fem and there you go, fem seeds. 

now, you can't just go all willy nilly and do this where ever and whenever you like. you'll need to consider few things such as the space you doing it in... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks all for the valuable inputs. I am not planning on making or breeding my own, was always just a thought in the back of my mind.

Also never knew they used chemicals to achieve this, not that there's something wrong with it, just interesting.

So thanks for scratching that itch guys, really appreciate it.

STS (Silver Thiosulphate Solution) is probably the most common way to get feminized seeds.

Colloidal Silver is also rather popular, however finding it in the correct PPM strength locally can be a bit of a challenge. I have heard that gibberellic acid can be used as well, never really looked into it though.

I have personally used STS with great success.

• Like 3