Any advice or experience with tinctures

Shambles

Howzit, so I am looking to move past just burning my weed. Like not to never burn again but smoking is at heart bad for you. I make cannabutter and don't feel ready to move on up to making my own BHO so I was hoping to try out the tincture thing. I cant find much on it on any of the forums here and I've watched the youtube vids but are tinctures not a thing anymore? The only challenge I was having was finding the food grade ethanol cos vodka and witblitz didnt work too well.

Food grade ethanol isn't the cheapest as well...

What puts you off the idea of BHO? What about a rosin press - no solvents if that is your concern.

You also have the option of vaping your dry bud as opposed to burning it.

Take the cannabutter and put it into capsule as another alternative? Reduce the amount of butter for a more potent form of cannabutter.

Go BHO.. easiest extraction and very easy to get the right materials. Just do it outside and on a more windy day. I used over 16 cans and smoked beside 😁 and I didn't blew myself up... Cape Doctor always helps. 

Just use some brain cells before you start.. otherwise, I agree with @PsyCLown, get a press.. leave that chlorophyll washing old age stuff behind. 

Ok thank you for the advice. I understand where you're coming from. The reason I'm interested in tinctures is cos I really dig experimentation with edibles. At this point I can put cannabutter any place you can put a fat in food and make it taste nice and get you lit, but some things don't necessarily have the space for the fat, hence wanting to try the alcohol based tincture. Sure I can put cannabutter in a cap, but I'd rather have it in biscuit or a caramel or on a slice of toast. 

Whats BHO/dabs like to use as an ingredient? Is that something people do?

Ok thank you for the advice. I understand where you're coming from. The reason I'm interested in tinctures is cos I really dig experimentation with edibles. At this point I can put cannabutter any place you can put a fat in food and make it taste nice and get you lit, but some things don't necessarily have the space for the fat, hence wanting to try the alcohol based tincture. Sure I can put cannabutter in a cap, but I'd rather have it in biscuit or a caramel or on a slice of toast. 

Buy some Royal Vodka, its 96% alcohol. We use that to make tincture. There are many recipes on the net but they use Everclear, you can follow the same steps.

17 hours ago, Shambles said:

You need to decarb the bho / rosin before it can be used as an edible. It is like using a more concentrated form of oil / butter when cooking.

A quick google search and I found these guys, never ordered from them before though.

https://ethanolsashop.co.za/products/96-sugarcane-ethanol-rectified-un-undenatured-food-grade

https://ethanolsashop.co.za/products/botanical-extraction-96-sugarcane-ethanol-rectified-ena-fd

Food grade ethanol is not cheap, I looked into it a few months back and was put off by the price and considering it is a consumable as well.

I wanted to use it to clean BHO and help purge the butane, hoping the Ethanol would be easier to purge.

21 hours ago, SAgrower said:
On 2/3/2021 at 4:12 PM, Shambles said:

Whats BHO/dabs like to use as an ingredient? Is that something people do

Buy some Royal Vodka, its 96% alcohol. We use that to make tincture. There are many recipes on the net but they use Everclear, you can follow the same steps.

Yas, Thanks man, I didn't know Royal was such a high percentage. All the vodka's I checked were like 50-70%. 

7 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

You need to decarb the bho / rosin before it can be used as an edible. It is like using a more concentrated form of oil / butter when cooking.

A quick google search and I found these guys, never ordered from them before though.

https://ethanolsashop.co.za/products/96-sugarcane-ethanol-rectified-un-undenatured-food-grade

https://ethanolsashop.co.za/products/botanical-extraction-96-sugarcane-ethanol-rectified-ena-fd

Food grade ethanol is not cheap, I looked into it a few months back and was put off by the price and considering it is a consumable as well.

I wanted to use it to clean BHO and help purge the butane, hoping the Ethanol would be easier to purge.

Huh, thanks I will have to think about whether I'm willing to risk any of my dab on trying this out. Thanks I saw a link to ethanolsa earlier in the thread and was checking them out but was similarly given pause by the price of food grade ethanol.

On the BHO, thats the thing that makes me most wary. A bit bang I fuck around in a cloud of butane and blow my shit up. 

1 minute ago, Shambles said:

Huh, thanks I will have to think about whether I'm willing to risk any of my dab on trying this out. Thanks I saw a link to ethanolsa earlier in the thread and was checking them out but was similarly given pause by the price of food grade ethanol.

On the BHO, thats the thing that makes me most wary. A bit bang I fuck around in a cloud of butane and blow my shit up. 

If you in Cape Town check out East City Rosin, they have various Rosin and extraction services. They have a some machine that you can decarb your Rosin inside, they might be able to help you or definitely give you advice. They also make tincture with material you provide. 

I had coffee with decarb Rosin from them and it hit lekker. 

• Like 1

If you in Cape Town check out East City Rosin, they have various Rosin and extraction services. They have a some machine that you can decarb your Rosin inside, they might be able to help you or definitely give you advice. They also make tincture with material you provide. 
I had coffee with decarb Rosin from them and it hit lekker. 
That sounds really cool and convenient if they let you use their equipment.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

That sounds really cool and convenient if they let you use their equipment.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

They don't let you use it but more they do it for you. You can drop off your material or book a session with them and you see them do it all. 

The Rosin pressing services cost R15 a gram. Not 100% sure what the other services cost. 

My local farm yard pub has just opened again, yayyy. I annexed my tincture bottles day before yesterday from the display and busy making more to refill the bottles. I usually just use as high proof retail alcohol ( generally use white rum ) I can get my hands on, add about 30 grams of bud to a 750ml bottle. Mix it up and let it sit for a couple months. Then sieve through a stocking and bottle it. I often have a coffee and shot of cannacane.

Making something unique in the next couple of weeks with regards to tinctures. Will post it when I am done. The pineapples are almost ready for stilling!!! Hopefully going to get it tested in a lab, see what I am really drinking.

• Like 1

Food grade ethanol works out cheaper than Royal Vodka and extracts more - higher potency. A tincture is one of my favourite ways to consume.

Yeah for sure. After seeing the price on this site we will definitely go this route.

Thank you all for the info you're sharing here folks, appreciated. Ya that East City Rosin info makes me wish I was back in Cpt but maybe before long we'll see a JHB entrepreneur doing this. 

Aeradix. what can i expect re your Gauteng delivery turnaround times?

28 minutes ago, Shambles said:

Thank you all for the info you're sharing here folks, appreciated. Ya that East City Rosin info makes me wish I was back in Cpt but maybe before long we'll see a JHB entrepreneur doing this. 

Aeradix. what can i expect re your Gauteng delivery turnaround times?

African Smoke have rosin presses which clients can make use of and they can help you with extractions and such too.

Do not think they do tinctures though - rosin and hash I think it is.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

African Smoke have rosin presses which clients can make use of and they can help you with extractions and such too.

Do not think they do tinctures though - rosin and hash I think it is.

I was going to say the same. Starts at R420 an hour I think (as per the site) but that is for 'consultations'. So I don't know if they charge per G or if you can press X amount in the hour. I think they haven't defined it enough.

Might go see them, if I do I will report back