Problem at harvest time - pls help

HappyGrower

The spores will not become active if humidity is to low. Indoor you can control it. So even your plants are covered in spores, will not break out, as long as humidity is not high enough. Outdoor you have no real influence on it, indoor you have the control.

Should make sense of CoolJ's experience. 😊

• Thanks 1

Yes, but coolj had the PM issue inoors it seems.

My take on it is to start over as suggested by others. Taking clones might make sense if it's aphotoperiod plants, but it's an auto, right?

There are a few different factors that come into play when it comes to PM, in my opinion.

Some strains are more resistant to PM than others. Also if a plant is healthy and strong or weak plays a big role. PM has a tough time getting hold on a plant that is happy and healthy. I only grow outdoors. In my garden PM showed up this whole season but my plants haven't caught anything yet.

Preventative measures are key outdoors. And as Prom stated, it's more difficult to prevent PM outdoors than indoors.

I did the following outdoors and it worked well so far (fingers crossed). PM doesn't like direct sunlight and good airflow. Keep that in mind, when you choose your grow spot. PM shows up on the lower parts of the plant, at least that's what it did when I had it. The sunlight and airflow is restricted in the lower parts of the plant. Defoliation of the lower part helps. Do not take off too much, but enough to allow good airflow.

I use AQ-sf as a preventative measure, as suggested by psyclown already. It's a fungy native to SA, which eats up PM. But it's used to prevent PM. And that's the keyword when it comes to pm: prevention.

Again, I would start over. The PM on your plants is in a very advanced state. As soon it's on the actual flower and no longer just visible on your leafes it's too late IMO.

You could use the plant to experiment with milk mixtures and so on to learn, maybe. But do yourself a favour and don't smoke it.

This is just my take on it, but I hope it helps.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, HappyGrower said:

The milk & water mix. It was mentioned to use a 50/50 mix. Application details - when, how often - how much? 
Psy: The residue you mentioned from using the milk & water mix - any good/easy ways to get rid of that?

I'd spray the milk and water mixture as often as needed until you see it decrease, then continue with a weekly or bi-weekly spray.

I have struggled to get it off however a bud wash helps but you may need to really get in there as milk can dry hard and needs a soak to soften up and come lose. Due to the residue it leaves and the fact that I struggle to get it off if left to harden and dry, I try and avoid using it.

As mentioned, your plant has some serious PM going on - however it's fine to use to experiment with and see how the milk and water works for you. Fresh, unpasteurized milk is ideal but not easy to find. Fresh full cream milk is 2nd best followed by long life full cream milk, but just go buy some fresh milk if you have to.

aq SF can be used to treat an outbreak, but it does take time to work and is therefore not ideal. Sulphur I believe works well, never used it myself but have had friends use it and seen the results and success they have had with it. So using Sulphur to get rid of majority of the PM and then using other sprays to keep it in check until harvest is an option - but you need to be careful in your case due to how severe the outbreak is.

Another thing to keep in mind, PM spreads spores which you cannot see with the naked eye. So best to try and clean out your entire grow and grow area before starting a new grow and/or carry out regular sprays with things which will help prevent the PM. Once you have PM, it can be difficult to get rid of and if there are other plants nearby the chances of them ending up with PM are very high so you need to treat ALL your plants.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

Yes, but coolj had the PM issue inoors it seems.

Is no issue, if the fungi isnt growing. You have PM spores everywhere. But yes, a desinfective spray or sulfer burner to clean out makes sense after that experience 😄 keep your humidity in range indoors, and PM is never your issue.

Edited by Prom

4 hours ago, Prom said:

The spores will not become active if humidity is to low. Indoor you can control it. So even your plants are covered in spores, will not break out, as long as humidity is not high enough. Outdoor you have no real influence on it, indoor you have the control.

Should make sense of CoolJ's experience. 😊

Yeah, that would make sense. 

It had no visable PM inside the tent. 

1 hour ago, Prom said:

Is no issue, if the fungi isnt growing. You have PM spores everywhere. But yes, a desinfective spray or sulfer burner to clean out makes sense after that experience 😄 keep your humidity in range indoors, and PM is never your issue.

I am sure you posted this before, but what is the RH limit before PM may become an issue?

32 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I am sure you posted this before, but what is the RH limit before PM may become an issue?

Over 68% you look for trouble, the more moist you get, the higher the risk.

Edited by Prom
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GreenGrow Garden Route said:

Does it not also set in with verry low and then very High RH... Fluctuations I mean..?

That weakens your plants... and chances increase. But if you fluctuate below 65%, PM shouldnt become a problem... potency might suffer, with to high temps in any case. Any high swings should get avoided. 

Germination you work with the highest humidity but also most sterile environment. (Why we always say... dont use your hands, use clean tweezers to handle seeds.)

Veg is were you pick it up, as veg likes 75%. I try to hover during light at 65% at veg. Higher and dehumidifier kicks in. Depending where you grow, you might not bother to much about PM at all.

When you fear PM issues, spray preventive, then go 12/12 and set system to start the dehumidifier at 55%.. just spores, no issue. You have still grown fungi on your plants... will survive, so you might very likely run into PM issue during flower. Check your plants regular.

Like seeds are triggered by humidity, PM spores are triggered to bloom when the humidity is right and the ground supports them. Some strains have a natural resistance... not immune! 😂 .. but that helps, if you grow in humid areas. Give a PM resistant strain a try.

• Like 3

Thnx for the reply bud.. I hear you.. My tent goes from 36-60 At night.. I'm a outdoor guy and never really bothered and was lucky enough to not have had it before.. 

I had a scare today... walked into a guys net house today and was verry excited to see such big luscious plants.. was like walking into a rain Forrest.. but when I turned around it was snowing... Male pollen, hermy pollen and PM... a major PM problem... I 💩ed myself... When I got home I saturated my clothes, shoes... ag.. everything in sanitizer... Bussy worrying about this shit and there I walk into a Forrest of PM...

Went on a chemical high...🤣

Edited by GreenGrow Garden Route
Spelling
  • Haha 1