Spaidan

Hello growers

Would love some advice from an experienced indoor grower. 

For the past year I have been growing cannabis indoors using a Mars Hydro tent ( 80cm x 80cm x 160cm) with the mars hydro 48 reflector led light. ( bought the combo and light is 100w blurple led) I've gotten good grows however I felt like I wasn't getting enough light coverage and intensity during the later phases of my growth. 

Recently I bought myself a 120w quantum board, which has a HLG meanwell driver and Samsung lm301h diodes. There is also a dimmer attached to the quantum board. 

I would like to know if I should start off the grow with both lights on? Or should I start off the grow with the mars hydro and then turn on the quantum board  when the plant hits veg stage. 

Was thinking of starting off the grow with both lights on (Mars hydro 48 reflector + 120w quantum board) and dimming the quantum board to around 50%. 

Would really like some advice, not sure if I should be dimming the quantum board at all? Am I safe to run both lights at full strength? Should I only go full strength with the 120w quantum board for flowering? Please help P. S  with regards to distance of both lights, they are maxed out at the top of the grow tent and I can't raise them anymore. Plan on growing one single photo period and vegging it out to fill the tent before flipping to flower. Will include photos of lights and tent

Thanks guys happy growing🙏🏻

IMG_20210119_200438_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG_20210119_200427.jpg

IMG_20210119_200451.jpg

100 watt for 0.8x0.8 isn't much. Depends a bit how full your tent was. If you plan to use the full area, use both lamps. I use 440 watt on a 1x1 area.. friend prefers his 600 watts (His plants get in general taller).

See no problem to mix.. you might want to add another 120 QB, but for now, worth a test run, just a little less as what I use. 😁 

When you add light, you add heat.. just check that your ventilation also gets a upgrade. Those blurple's produce very little heat, the QB's will add a bit more.

You also do not want to place the driver on your QB.. hang the driver up separate or put spacers in between, point a fan on it, the Mars didn't need that, the QB does like air flow to keep it hand warm. 

😄 Have fun, run a diary..

• Like 3

Hey!

So firstly remove the power supply from on top of the heatsink - it is not a good idea.

The heatsink is hot and the power supply is hot, the power supply will be restricting airflow around the heatsink and this will lead to your diodes degrading quicker than they should - try keep the quantum board heatsink as cool as possible. If you can have a fan blow over it a bit, that would be great.

I prefer having the LED driver outside of the tent, otherwise if you want it inside then I use cable ties to attach it to one of the corner poles so it is out of the way.

I am going to assume you do not have anything which will actually tell you the watts which you are dimming your Quantum Board to? So it will be a bit of guess work as to where 50% actually is, or any other percentage.

If it were me, I'd have sold the Mars light and purchased a 240W Quantum Board which would have been a perfect fit for your tent!

Anyways, what you have is still good and will work well. I would start the grow with the Quantum Board only and have it dimmed down to around 40W (use a multimeter to work it out, otherwise consider purchasing a power meter or kill a watt, the power meters are cheaper but the kill a watt can be used for various devices), I would then have the Quantum Board around 50cm above the seedlings and as they grow move the light up and start to increase the power going to the quantum board.
When you flip to flower then you can consider turning the Mars light on - you could actually turn the Mars light on after the stretch I reckon.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Prom said:

😁 way more sexy as my way 😎

16111318128005407453863463915998.thumb.jpg.5a081e134dabcdcdbaf176bea0d1ba18.jpg

Hahaha, why not just put the power supply outside the tent?

Looks like a bit of a mission to tie everything and get it hung like that, but it works!

I feel the way @Totemic has done it is one of the better ways and very similar to the way I hang mine.

It also allows you to "tilt" the light if you want it at a slight angle for whatever reason - maybe you want to run some side lighting or want less reflection off the wall of the tent.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Hahaha, why not just put the power supply outside the tent?

Looks like a bit of a mission to tie everything and get it hung like that, but it works!

I feel the way @Totemic has done it is one of the better ways and very similar to the way I hang mine.

It also allows you to "tilt" the light if you want it at a slight angle for whatever reason - maybe you want to run some side lighting or want less reflection off the wall of the tent.

😁 outside doesn't work with my setup. I have 2 QBs on one driver, the other is easy to hang as you wish and at what angle. The driver lamp is set to more or less point down. Both QB's hang on a 1.2m top hanger I can easy lift out and use in a different tent. Depending how many plants I have inside, I hang more light in or take out. If the driver would be outside, I would have to disconnect wires. Now I just lift them out and in as I like.

But yeah, if the light would be fix for a tent.. I would do the power supplies outside.. just because it looks nicer too 😂

Should add.. all my tents have 1.2 hanging distance, so all my lamps work in all my tents.

Edited by Prom
Last sentense

Have to agree with that. Removing the power supply from the tent completely is next level getting rid of excess and unwanted heat. 

I first had my power supplies mounted onto the lights even with spacers and after @PsyCLown advised against it, it made absolute sense not to have it that way.

Now they run cold to the touch even at 150w/160w Which I don't think i've gone over, now please correct me if i'm wrong but is that correct if that my dial turned to around 2 o' Clock??? but yeah working great.

As you can see the power supplies hang at the very top of the tent conveniently next to the extraction.

IMG_7168.PNG

16 minutes ago, Prom said:

😁 outside doesn't work with my setup. I have 2 QBs on one driver, the other is easy to hang as you wish and at what angle. The driver lamp is set to more or less point down. Both QB's hang on a 1.2m top hanger I can easy lift out and use in a different tent. Depending how many plants I have inside, I hang more light in or take out. If the driver would be outside, I would have to disconnect wires. Now I just lift them out and in as I like.

But yeah, if the light would be fix for a tent.. I would do the power supplies outside.. just because it looks nicer too 😂

Should add.. all my tents have 1.2 hanging distance, so all my lamps work in all my tents.

So why not get those waco quick disconnect connectors - the ones @Totemic has with his QB.

That way you can quickly, easily and safely disconnect your lights from your power supply and move them around or swap them out. They are not that expensive either.

5-way-block.png.b347ed21969ec8bf6fc86e0ebce2478b.png

The above is a 5 way connector, but just to give you an idea of what I am talking about. Although if it works for you, that is all that matters, these quick disconnects might make it easier though.

@ORGANinc. Not sure about the pot being set to around 2 o' clock, the best would be to get a power meter or kill a watt type of device, alternatively you could use a multimeter or 2 to confirm the watts and power going to your Quantum Boards.

I personally have 1x power meter per LED driver, so I can accurately monitor the power coming out from each power supply. My power supplies are on top of my tent, on top of a cardboard box (for weight distribution and heat). The power meter connects to the LED driver, then you take the output from the power meter to the quantum boards, no external power is required. The power meter is right there by the LED driver so quick and easy to see the watts as I adjust my LED drivers.

I see you have CPU heatsinks with fans, those works soo well in terms of cooling down Quantum Boards. Very nice DIY setup you have there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

So why not get those waco quick disconnect connectors - the ones @Totemic has with his QB.

That way you can quickly, easily and safely disconnect your lights from your power supply and move them around or swap them out. They are not that expensive either.

5-way-block.png.b347ed21969ec8bf6fc86e0ebce2478b.png

The above is a 5 way connector, but just to give you an idea of what I am talking about. Although if it works for you, that is all that matters, these quick disconnects might make it easier though.

@ORGANinc. Not sure about the pot being set to around 2 o' clock, the best would be to get a power meter or kill a watt type of device, alternatively you could use a multimeter or 2 to confirm the watts and power going to your Quantum Boards.

I personally have 1x power meter per LED driver, so I can accurately monitor the power coming out from each power supply. My power supplies are on top of my tent, on top of a cardboard box (for weight distribution and heat). The power meter connects to the LED driver, then you take the output from the power meter to the quantum boards, no external power is required. The power meter is right there by the LED driver so quick and easy to see the watts as I adjust my LED drivers.

I see you have CPU heatsinks with fans, those works soo well in terms of cooling down Quantum Boards. Very nice DIY setup you have there.

I just pull out the power plug and lift em out. I couldnt figure out a faster and more simple way... went with it. 😄 

If i would run the drivers outside, i would select the floor... like my battery charger is flat on the tiles, coldest spot in the room. If you run your driver at the hottest area, you will always run warmer and with more resistance. Take the drivers down to the ground, coolest spot keeps them coolest possible, what means most effìcient 😁 at least that would be my logic.

At one spot, people do it as they prefer and like. As long as the result is to your liking... many ways lead to Rome 😉

And i would say to @OrganicGrower_ZA, go with Totemics version... very sexy 😊 i fiddle with 7 different lamps for 3 different tent sizes, mobility helps me most.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Prom said:

I just pull out the power plug and lift em out. I couldnt figure out a faster and more simple way... went with it. 😄 

If i would run the drivers outside, i would select the floor... like my battery charger is flat on the tiles, coldest spot in the room. If you run your driver at the hottest area, you will always run warmer and with more resistance. Take the drivers down to the ground, coolest spot keeps them coolest possible, what means most effìcient 😁 at least that would be my logic.

At one spot, people do it as they prefer and like. As long as the result is to your liking... many ways lead to Rome 😉

And i would say to @OrganicGrower_ZA, go with Totemics version... very sexy 😊 i fiddle with 7 different lamps for 3 different tent sizes, mobility helps me most.

You are correct, it would make the most sense to have it on the floor which is cooler, especially if there are tiles. Unfortunately floor space is an issue for me, so on top of the tent they go.

I do have measures in place to assist with air circulation in the room and to control the temperature, so the temperature in the room is pretty consistent throughout the entire room and at all heights.

As you said, many roads lead to Rome. If it works for you, then great! 😄 

5-way-block.png

• Like 1

We do DIY... 😄 how it fits best. Would love to build a proper lab environment for a grow room 😍 but... hehehe i scratch together money to replace my inliners to more silent ones. 10k down the drain... very far away from how i really would like it to be. 🤔

I add a interesting one. Friend measured his QBs with the quantum flux meter... he has after 3 grows done, boards losing 10% of strenght. Is a bit much to my liking for 50k hours diodes.... are the B version diodes. 

1 hour ago, Prom said:

We do DIY... 😄 how it fits best. Would love to build a proper lab environment for a grow room 😍 but... hehehe i scratch together money to replace my inliners to more silent ones. 10k down the drain... very far away from how i really would like it to be. 🤔

I add a interesting one. Friend measured his QBs with the quantum flux meter... he has after 3 grows done, boards losing 10% of strenght. Is a bit much to my liking for 50k hours diodes.... are the B version diodes. 

Remember that temps play a big role in terms of the diode deterioration. The hotter the diodes, the quicker they will deteriorate. Always best to try keep the lights as cool as possible.

Passive heatsinks are nice and all, although having a fan blow over them makes a big difference in keeping them cool. I have my fans for air circulation in the tent blow over my heatsinks as well. This is also why I suggest one removes the LED driver from the heatsink - you have at least lifted yours which is also good and will help with airflow and keeping them cooler.

I believe LED lights should be replaced after 3 years of use. So new lights every 3 years (or sooner).

2 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Remember that temps play a big role in terms of the diode deterioration. The hotter the diodes, the quicker they will deteriorate. Always best to try keep the lights as cool as possible.

Passive heatsinks are nice and all, although having a fan blow over them makes a big difference in keeping them cool. I have my fans for air circulation in the tent blow over my heatsinks as well. This is also why I suggest one removes the LED driver from the heatsink - you have at least lifted yours which is also good and will help with airflow and keeping them cooler.

I believe LED lights should be replaced after 3 years of use. So new lights every 3 years (or sooner).

he runs his lights on a dimmer... and just 2 boards having the loss. Same lamp, looks like same production line. The other boards are fine, hardly any loss. Is the lamp i hate most, has the biggest cooler on, one huge plate and the boards connected to it. I think he paid 18k for it. 

Thanks for the advice guys, if I simply cannot move the driver outside, how about I mount the driver with spacers nderneath and place it on top of  the mars hydro reflector, since it doesn't get hot and the fan inside the box of the light will blow directly up towards the driver. Is this advised? And I definetely am planning on buying a small fan to add inside the grow tent for airflow on the quantum board🙏🏻🌱

2 hours ago, Prom said:

he runs his lights on a dimmer... and just 2 boards having the loss. Same lamp, looks like same production line. The other boards are fine, hardly any loss. Is the lamp i hate most, has the biggest cooler on, one huge plate and the boards connected to it. I think he paid 18k for it. 

Ahh gosh, that is quite peculiar. Is it one of those Quantum Boards like what Spiderfarmer and Geeklight have? Just a silver aluminium plate without any fins?

1 hour ago, OrganicGrower_ZA said:

Thanks for the advice guys, if I simply cannot move the driver outside, how about I mount the driver with spacers nderneath and place it on top of  the mars hydro reflector, since it doesn't get hot and the fan inside the box of the light will blow directly up towards the driver. Is this advised? And I definetely am planning on buying a small fan to add inside the grow tent for airflow on the quantum board🙏🏻🌱

Yes, that should work well too - then the airflow from the Mars light can help cool the power supply.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

It's not just clever, it's sexy. 

Hey man I took your advice and added a small clip on fan insid my tent and I moved the driver off the heatsink. Stupid question but should I have the fan pointing directly on the side of the QB board, or should I have it under neath the QB board more directly on the diodes. I have included a photo please let me know if u think it's perfect where it is or if I should raise or lower it🙏🏻🌱😎

Sorry for rookie questions.  FYI the board use to burn my hand badly if I kept it on longer than 15 seconds. Now the board is cool to the touch, do u think my fan placement is optimalIMG_20210121_163608.thumb.jpg.5dc58bdc8a6fbd2c3caa317c4a05ab01.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OrganicGrower_ZA said:

Hey man I took your advice and added a small clip on fan insid my tent and I moved the driver off the heatsink. Stupid question but should I have the fan pointing directly on the side of the QB board, or should I have it under neath the QB board more directly on the diodes. I have included a photo please let me know if u think it's perfect where it is or if I should raise or lower it🙏🏻🌱😎

Sorry for rookie questions.  FYI the board use to burn my hand badly if I kept it on longer than 15 seconds. Now the board is cool to the touch, do u think my fan placement is optimalIMG_20210121_163608.thumb.jpg.5dc58bdc8a6fbd2c3caa317c4a05ab01.jpg

I reckon it is optimal, you will get airflow on top and below the QB therefore cooling both the heatsink and diodes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1