PM evasive tactics

Teal Smith

14 minutes ago, CreX said:

so even though they may still be moist, they are ready to be trimmed and jarred. first few days you may beed to monitor the rh closely as they will make the rh climb high

Just checking - I can take put fresh harvested buds straight into jars with no drying at all?? Just monitor RH for 1st few days? Sorry. Thanks

Seems @CreX has already give you all the info but that is not nutes and appears to be some type of mold.

The plants are not like a storage tank where they keep the nutes just like that, I have harvested plants without ever doing any flush and never had that happen. It is not nutes. It is also not PM... PM looks very different and usually starts on the leaves.

Doing a budwash before drying can help as it may get rid of spores already on the plant as well as other shit too.

You always need to and want to hang the plants up to dry and lose majority of their moisture before you put it into the jars. Best is to use a hygrometer to monitor the RH once in the jars and ensure the Integra / Boveda maintains the RH in the correct region, if it is too high then you can "burp" the jars by leaving them open for a while and then closing them again and then monitoring the RH - if its still too high then you continue this process until enough moisture has been released that the Integra / Boveda is able to maintain the correct RH.

As for the Integra 62% being lower, it could be your hygrometer is not that accurate or perhaps the lid on your car does not seal properly.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Seems @CreX has already give you all the info but that is not nutes and appears to be some type of mold.

Nice one Psyclown. I've read over a few times but to me, it was still unclear whether I can take the buds straight from harvest to jar, no drying at all. or only that it's fine now because they've been drying a while... Sorry, sometimes I need it to be spelled out as there is not much room for error in this, LOL, but thank you for clearing that up :) 

Also, good to know it cannot in any way, ever be nutes coming out the stems.

Budwashing sounds like a good step to add as a preventative and after a little reading, it looks like it's a good practice anyway, will do in future. Thanks

I still think the packs could problematic though. I left some weed in a jar over 2 days now with a 62% pack, and it's way too dry in there now, like under 50%.  Ambient RH is higher than what's in the jar. The lids and rings are new, no leaks. I've tested now with 4 different mini-hygros. But the proof is in the pudding -the weed is too dry, not nice to work with. Also has become a little harsher..... IDK. I think I'll use the packs like a desiccant to bring RH down inside jars, then remove them once at 60% and monitor. If they get over 65% I'll put the packs back in again 

They are old packs also, about 3 years but don't know if they can expire. There aren't an exp dates on the packs. 

Edited by Teal Smith
  • Like 2

Perhaps a better question, then, is:

Since drying is always requirement, but is not necessary to be dried all the way, at which point do I know that the buds are ready to go from their minimum dried state into jars?

I do read all your answers I promise, just learning here and want to be sure. I am grateful for your time. Thank you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teal Smith said:

Perhaps a better question, then, is:

Since drying is always requirement, but is not necessary to be dried all the way, at which point do I know that the buds are ready to go from their minimum dried state into jars?

I do read all your answers I promise, just learning here and want to be sure. I am grateful for your time. Thank you

So most people like to use the bending of the stem to tell how far it is with regards to being dry.

This is a decent guideline but I have jarred bud where the larger stems did not snap. I also use the RH inside the drying area (I used a tent) as a gauge.

I compare the RH inside the tent to the RH outside the tent and I have a PC fan blowing air from inside the tent out to ensure there is air flow and its not just stale.

As the bud dries, it will release moisture and increase the RH inside the tent - as it dries up there wont be as much moisture being released and this will lead to the RH inside the tent ending up very close or the same as the RH outside the tent. This can be used as a guide to further assist in telling how much water the bud has gotten rid of.

With time and experience, you will get better at telling when its ready to be put into jars. Lots of factors to consider - a big, dense bud will not dry out as quickly as a big, airy bud or as a small dense bud for example. So drying times may differ between plants, even if they are harvested at the same time.

I have never used Integra packs, I assume they're pretty much the same as a Boveda. If so, then as the pack dries out it will turn from liquid into a crystaline like powder (at least this is what it feels like). Maybe get a Boveda pack to compare.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your detailed answer @PsyCLown :)

Will def take all those things into consideration. I've known the Integra packs to work well in the past, not sure why it's doing this now, but it is still very much gel inside, feels new, no crystaline powder at all. Weird. Like all the other little things, I'll just keep monitoring and make adjustments as I go along. 

I actually have a CVault including a bigger Boveda pack it came with so will give them a bash soon. Just wanted to keep harvests separate in the beginning as I've been experimenting with early & late harvesting, plus now, some might get mold and I'd like to keep those separate anyway.

Thanks again

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I have never used Integra packs, I assume they're pretty much the same as a Boveda

Pretty much, except Integra provides those little red dot indicators which is made from using cobalt chloride, which is a carcinogenic. So Integra can kindly fuck themselves. 

Boveda all the way. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Pretty much, except Integra provides those little red dot indicators which is made from using cobalt chloride, which is a carcinogenic. So Integra can kindly fuck themselves. 

Boveda all the way. 

Never knew this, this is good to know.

Boveda have been easier to find anyways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teal Smith said:

I've read over a few times but to me, it was still unclear whether I can take the buds straight from harvest to jar, no drying at all. or only that it's fine now because they've been drying a while.

So to be blunt - yes you can definitely harvest - trim - and jar on the same day

do you want to? no.

the reasons are as follows.

• the bud has way too much moisture in it - if you jar right away, RH would hit 100 in a few min, yes... minutes, so you would need to leave the jar open anyways to wait for the rh to drop to an acceptable level, which will be in a good 3- 4 days minimum.
  • if you neglect the rh even for a moment... mold and pm and budrot will set in like wildfire! so not ideal
  • the buds may feel dense on harvest day, but even the densest buds get all soft and squishy the first few days of drying and water loss, so jarring them will likely end up squashing the buds in their moerin.. 
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CreX said:

So to be blunt - yes you can definitely harvest - trim - and jar on the same day

do you want to? no.

• the bud has way too much moisture in it - if you jar right away, RH would hit 100 in a few min, yes... minutes, so you would need to leave the jar open anyways to wait for the rh to drop to an acceptable level, which will be in a good 3- 4 days minimum.
  • if you neglect the rh even for a moment... mold and pm and budrot will set in like wildfire! so not ideal
  • the buds may feel dense on harvest day, but even the densest buds get all soft and squishy the first few days of drying and water loss, so jarring them will likely end up squashing the buds in their moerin.. 

Thanks @CreX :D, so with my current situation, it's best then to keep them drying as long as possible and make an educated call on when they're dry enough to move over to jars. Less chance of mold setting in on the buds that way, even though there is mold in the dry tent. Got it. :D

Edited by Teal Smith

yeah it has to be salt buildup - no other explaination - taste wont be neccesarily salty just because the compound is in its salt form, so the taste will vary greatly on what makes up the salt.

I Think we got this one busted hey, hopefully one of the heavy hitters will confirm the theory

(this reply was meant to be posted directly after my last but data kakked out)

Edited by Psylecta
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CreX said:

do you want to? no.

The more I think about this, I feel as though there may still be a little misunderstanding here. I mean, I know under normal circumstances one definitely wants to dry before curing. To explain better, I mean in my current situation where I already have mold inside the tent on the drying pieces, I was unsure of whether I should, as an emergency tactic, skip the drying phase on the newcomers to the dry tent to avoid the mold spreading to them, and wanted to know if that's what you meant. But since then, that had already been made clear to me by PsyClown earlier. They still need to be dried. 

Thanks, though. Cheers

Edited by Teal Smith
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Teal Smith said:

Screwit, I just went ahead and tasted a tiny little bit of Flora Bloom and Grow. They are salty, but subtle. Shit, IDK it could still be nutes on the stems...

I'm wiping it off with copper soap solution and paper towel just in case it is mold of some kind (very careful not to get close to buds). Putting it back in the dry tent and getting RH low as possible... Best I can do for now I think

@afternoon blazer LOL by the reactions I take it this is the wrong thing to do.

Figured since I have to wait for some to become drier before I can put them in jars, I may as well wipe off the mold where it has started colonizing to try curb the spread of it, and why not wipe it with copper soap, as long as it gets dried immediately after, was my thinking... " Oh well

Unless you're referring to the tasting of the nutes... LOL that was to see if a theory of the white stuff being salts from nutes could be true.... Was thinking if they were salt they'd be salty.... But no, it is mold and surely does not taste like salt ;)

Edited by Teal Smith

5 hours ago, Teal Smith said:

@afternoon blazer LOL by the reactions I take it this is the wrong thing to do.

Figured since I have to wait for some to become drier before I can put them in jars, I may as well wipe off the mold where it has started colonizing to try curb the spread of it, and why not wipe it with copper soap, as long as it gets dried immediately after, was my thinking... " Oh well

Unless you're referring to the tasting of the nutes... LOL that was to see if a theory of the white stuff being salts from nutes could be true.... Was thinking if they were salt they'd be salty.... But no, it is mold and surely does not taste like salt 😉

It was definitly for the tasting of the nutz bro. Had me 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Teal Smith said:

The more I think about this, I feel as though there may still be a little misunderstanding here. I mean, I know under normal circumstances one definitely wants to dry before curing. To explain better, I mean in my current situation where I already have mold inside the tent on the drying pieces, I was unsure of whether I should, as an emergency tactic, skip the drying phase on the newcomers to the dry tent to avoid the mold spreading to them, and wanted to know if that's what you meant. But since then, that had already been made clear to me by PsyClown earlier. They still need to be dried. 

Thanks, though. Cheers

It needs to be dry, but do NOT dry it in the same tent as the mold before you thoroughly clean and sanitize that tent.

Get some bleach and wipe it down fully and ensure anything which may have mold spores on it gets cleaned properly too.

• Like 2

@PsyCLown Yes absolutely, I've been using H202 to sanitize the tent and stuff inside. I'd imagine there are spores everywhere, but with a bit of luck the mold was caught early enough in it's life cycle for it not to sporulate just yet.... Hope so, but no harm in taking all the measures.

I cut off all stems at the base too, and wiped down with copper soap solution (grateful it's going for the stems at the base and not higher up towards the buds, or the buds themselves). I also dropped the RH to 48/49% for just over 30 hours now, and I don't see any more mold colonizing. It's back up to 51/52% now. On the lower end of the sweet spot.

So far so good, knock on wood, things seem to be under control.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/11/2020 at 11:56 AM, Teal Smith said:

On burping, would you or anyone care to share a good baseline technique that I can finetune with time. Like how many burps per day, how long for week 1 , week 2 etc etc. There are 5 trillion different opinions online, hoping experience can give me a better answer. Thanks!

The burping is a release of excessive moisture. If you use bags, you do not have to burb.. the bag absorbs the moisture, opening disturbs it more. I prefer to be more on the dry side before I jar and put a bag. And when a bag risks to get dry, it goes in a separate vac jar with a cotton ball of water to refill again. That way your bags last till they end in a contaminated jar.. and go dumpster (shouldn't happen to often ^^). 

• Like 1