Fridgedoor's super stealthy grow

Fridge

Hi fellow growers,

It’s rainy and cold in the Cape and it seems like the next outdoor grow is still eternities away. So I decided to do a little write up about my first outdoor grow in South Africa (used to do indoor in my home country). I think it might be beneficial for a first time grower. I hope it’s fine to post it here as this is a grow from 2016.

I want to start off with a little background story. After 4 years of not consuming cannabis I decided that it’s about time for cannabis to be part of my life again. I didn’t have connections whatsoever in SA and buying from strangers wasn’t an option for me. I started to do some online research hoping to find seed vendors within South Africa because I didn’t want to risk being caught importing seeds. By that time the only online vendor I could find was Green Smoke Room but I was still very hesitant to order some seeds from them. By coincidence I found a guy on Gumtree who sold San Pedro Cacti and Salvia plants. I figured that he surely knows where to find some cannabis/seeds. My plan was to meet him to buy a San Pedro and then casually ask him if he also has some weed for me. That’s what I did and it all worked out as I hoped it would. I went home with a San Pedro cactus and a little bag with seeded weed. I was so happy to finally have some seeds even though these were bag seeds.

Next thing I did was getting some good soil. I went to Stodels (yes I know what you think) as Freedom Farms either didn’t exist back then or I just didn’t have them on my radar. I think I was very lucky to find some awesome soil in a garden center with a PH of 6.3 I think. It might have been the soil from Floragard but I am not too sure about that.

As friends and family had some funny ideas about cannabis I decided to do an extra stealthy grow… On our roof 😁. I didn’t fertilize a lot before she went into flower. Only the last weeks of veg I fed her with some Seagrow and in flower I fed her only Biobizz Bloom. The total costs for that grow were something like 300-400 Rand.

Below you’ll find some pictures. I only started to document my grow around week 3 after germination. As I was growing on the roof I needed to train the plant quite a lot so she’ll have a low grow profile. The plant got camouflaged by the grapevines pretty well.

1.thumb.JPG.8fa357848749b888666fc68d3a44ace1.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.b6a79965127c5bc16a598ce599745592.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.4b134c7283338d7fec6e6c7c7717da39.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.9d5adfdd5cfbb26ef771275b06f139e0.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.aea93e27bd9cbdfe2c760aff3bd21874.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.e96f20868284b59aab7f44f050a582ff.JPG

You see my growspot evolved slowly to counter problems like gale force winds or to keep it invisible to our neighbor. I even watered the plant before the sun came up to make sure nobody sees me.

7.thumb.JPG.14f5d8334bdcbb9e5f7c231bae831bc8.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.b5d5b8d38e6bc8ef4af3c46f80515566.JPG

Once the buds fattened up I decided to play it save and build a little cover made from Plexiglas to ensure that rain won’t cause bud rot.

9.thumb.JPG.de5c572bedb0bc3e0b6dc86ea6d0cec7.JPG

10.thumb.JPG.e12b16b9016deae4938dd8dc4d1493c0.JPG

Unfortunately the picture below is the last pic I made of the whole plant. This lady actually continued to grow another two weeks before I chopped it.

11.thumb.JPG.9cecca99a9578676762aced20547316d.JPG

As I harvested more than I expected I had to make a plan where to dry the buds. I figured the attic would be the safest place to dry my plant unnoticed. It worked out quite well, but if you can don’t dry it up there. It can get hot in there which will cause the plant to dry too quickly and also the heat is bad for the terpenes.

12.thumb.JPG.66b8d42dd660a1780668013af2b4c27b.JPG

13.thumb.JPG.4830df43f0868e7d037dfcc83b7df9e9.JPG

This plant must have been a Sativa dominant hybrid. I can remember the first time I smoked it I was so full of energy that I had to mow the lawn. It was an awesome high.

I decided to post this to show that it’s possible to grow some decent bud even on a very tight budget. I have to add that I was lucky the plant turned out to be female and that she was such a beauty. Bagseed is always a lottery and I think I won the jackpot that summer.

I hope you enjoyed my little write-up and I look forward to start a proper grow diary this season.

• Like 16

Thanks @SkunkPharm. By now I have convinced the people around me that this plant has many benefits besides just getting you high.

So I don't need to sneak around anymore. My plan is to grow a few autoflowers and two photoperiod plants. I'll try my best to stay within the limit 😉

The two photoperiod plants I grow are:

Purple Moby Dick - Dinafem

Simple Wedding Cake - Pheno Finder

I'm really looking forward to see how they'll turn out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

They should start flowering in the next 3 weeks anf then they must go outside.

Hopefully spring will be here soon. I'm afraid some coldfronts are still to come. I plan on germinating my first few seeds on the 1st of October. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...