Mycelium bags

ORGANinc.

Hello friends!

Been wondering what these CO2 bags contribute to your room in terms of CO2, so I did a bit of digging.

Without having a CO2 meter and the proper means of testing the output, I just pulled some variable from common knowledge and I think this might be helpful to some.

Exhalt (if that's the correct spelling) one of the people from the US who started doing this.  So keep in mind these bags secrete progressively higher amount of Co2 until the bags are fully colonized, So you will have a progressive burst, which is not a huge problem if you ideally running them per grow. 

But anyways back to the the info I found. So the lucky number for CO2 in the grow room is around 1500ppm, I wouldn't say anymore than that. But then taking into consideration everything else needs to maxed out anyways.     

The guy did a video with a CO2 reading which caught my interest largely! Looks like to video was filmed when he started the brand, he had 2 very very large bags, maybe 3 times the size of the smaller because nature bags. So maybe average 6 small bags total in a 4 x 4 tent completely closed off, no extraction.

He had to have walked into the tent, and while talking smack for about 5 minutes his readings climbed from 930ppm - 990ppm - 1060ppm at which point he switched the thing off because it kept buzzing. Spoke more smack for about 5 minutes and turned it back on, took 30 seconds to reboot and he was at 1260ppm and still climbing...

So they work, but no way near as well as I thought. Instead of spending 3,2k per grow on mushrooms. I would like to know if anybody would understand or maybe have an idea of what the DYI could look like. 

Any Shoomies on the forum?

Wait, you lost me.

You want to know about growing some mushies in your tent to increase CO2 and want to do this yourself because of the costs involved in purchasing the bags?

Well, firstly growing mushrooms isn't hard per say, but you need to be very sterile and have additional equipment to pasteurize / sterilize the medium(s) you are working with and you do not want any trich at all as that will fuck you over big time as trich is a very aggressive colonizer and will cause tons of issues for you.

Trich is something which is not uncommon for cannabis though, it is contained in a few of those mixes which are promoted as helping improve plant health etc.

It is included in that black liquid, forgot the name at the moment... Will come back to me in a while and a few other products.

Unless you have a separate room to get the bags started in which you can thoroughly clean and let the mycelium fully colonize the medium before putting it in your tent.

Growing mushies isn't necessarily expensive once you have the equipment, really just the medium which will be required to be replaced. Not sure if all strains give out the same amount of CO2.

What about cooling as you want to keep the air exchange to a minimum from inside the tent to outside the tent and that makes extracting hot air out pretty much impossible. Got a link to the video?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Wait, you lost me.

You want to know about growing some mushies in your tent to increase CO2 and want to do this yourself because of the costs involved in purchasing the bags?

Well, firstly growing mushrooms isn't hard per say, but you need to be very sterile and have additional equipment to pasteurize / sterilize the medium(s) you are working with and you do not want any trich at all as that will fuck you over big time as trich is a very aggressive colonizer and will cause tons of issues for you.

Trich is something which is not uncommon for cannabis though, it is contained in a few of those mixes which are promoted as helping improve plant health etc.

It is included in that black liquid, forgot the name at the moment... Will come back to me in a while and a few other products.

Unless you have a separate room to get the bags started in which you can thoroughly clean and let the mycelium fully colonize the medium before putting it in your tent.

Growing mushies isn't necessarily expensive once you have the equipment, really just the medium which will be required to be replaced. Not sure if all strains give out the same amount of CO2.

What about cooling as you want to keep the air exchange to a minimum from inside the tent to outside the tent and that makes extracting hot air out pretty much impossible. Got a link to the video?

Yes money is something we need to consider, maybe one day we can approach a more permanent solutions. But for now,  we scrape pennies. think I need to re-answer your HOW MUCH YOU SPENDING question.

Anyways i'm actually fortunate to say the least. 

All the pasteurize / sterilize equipment you've listed above leads me to think this is nowhere near as simple as I thought it was. I did some forum searching and this particular topic had many people in stitches as to the costing modeled by something so simple ''they claimed'' (in the US) . Excuse my ignorance. Shouldn't believe everything you hear right.

But then there are other methods but i have no clue as to the amount. But a good indication of how long it would last.

This one involved 5 gallon bucket (closed off system) airstone in -airtight pipe out for distribution of CO2

4 - 6 cups sugar 

1 1/2 Gallon water

2 tablespoon yeast

last 20 days, how effective, who knows.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Fascinating concept, but I wonder if one would maybe rather use yeast do generate CO2 in their grow room.

There's a ridiculously over-priced product that does this kinda thing: Link

09-400-350_09-400-350_1.thumb.jpg.44e2f5b595a1d5fa7220b7ecdbcf8c2d.jpg

I bet one could make a DIY CO2 generator of this kind at a fraction of the price. 

Looks very interesting bud! 

27 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Yes money is something we need to consider, maybe one day we can approach a more permanent solutions. But for now,  we scrape pennies. think I need to re-answer your HOW MUCH YOU SPENDING question.

Anyways i'm actually fortunate to say the least. 

All the pasteurize / sterilize equipment you've listed above leads me to think this is nowhere near as simple as I thought it was. I did some forum searching and this particular topic had many people in stitches as to the costing modeled by something so simple ''they claimed'' (in the US) . Excuse my ignorance. Shouldn't believe everything you hear right.

But then there are other methods but i have no clue as to the amount. But a good indication of how long it would last.

This one involved 5 gallon bucket (closed off system) airstone in -airtight pipe out for distribution of CO2

4 - 6 cups sugar 

1 1/2 Gallon water

2 tablespoon yeast

last 20 days, how effective, who knows.

Will watch the video later when I get a chance to.

Is this for the mycelium or for using yeast?

Pressure cooker is one of the pricier pieces of equipment, this can be used to sterilise the medium, a smaller pressure cooker will simply take longer to sterilise all the medium as you wont be able to fit as much inside.

If the mycelium is sufficient to get upto around 1500ppm CO2 then it could be a cost effective way to achieve this as I believe purchasing and using a CO2 canister is not cheap and does not make financial sense.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Will watch the video later when I get a chance to.

Is this for the mycelium or for using yeast?

Pressure cooker is one of the pricier pieces of equipment, this can be used to sterilise the medium, a smaller pressure cooker will simply take longer to sterilise all the medium as you wont be able to fit as much inside.

If the mycelium is sufficient to get upto around 1500ppm CO2 then it could be a cost effective way to achieve this as I believe purchasing and using a CO2 canister is not cheap and does not make financial sense.

Yeah, i'm going to blush up on the mycelium knowledge before I decide which route i'm going to take.

Na man, yeast was just another option. Its nice because the 5 gal bucket can be left outside the tent and pipes fed into the tent, distributed evenly at the top.

• Like 1

I did research awhile back regarding CO2 in the grow room, what I gathered was that if VPD (stomata rated) and Temps ( 28-34) not in range you just wasting money. CO2 enrichment comes last after we able to control all other factors. However I have no experience.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GGG said:

I did research awhile back regarding CO2 in the grow room, what I gathered was that if VPD (stomata rated) and Temps ( 28-34) not in range you just wasting money. CO2 enrichment comes last after we able to control all other factors. However I have no experience.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Yes you right bud. Looking at running through summer. But that’s just 1 hurdle

Hi All,

My partner and i have a small scale(24m²) fruiting chamber in which we produce gourmet(only) mushrooms. Growing mushrooms is quite an easy procedure, BUT.... the capital input is high, it is super time consuming and your are fighting against contamination which is EVERYWHERE!!!  I have no doubt that the CO2 a bag can produce is viable, but i don't believe this is the best method of CO2 application. also, it seems you would need to turn the air exchange off(exhaust etc) to achieve the adequate PPM . I wonder if you would be able to build a "box/Tote"' with the bags inside that feeds directly into the tent with the cool CO2 rich air drawn in to offset the volume pushed out of the exhaust.  

Edited by felix2000
edit for Typo!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

I played with co2 generators. Gas, yeast and dry ice... my final result was rather simple. If you do not have a closed environment, where you cook your climate and have all sorted from air intake humidity and temp control plus gas sensors for venting, you just waste money over all. I think i had to vent way to much due to moisture. In a dry environment, makes more sense... in any case you have to run a big ass AC. I PAR my light and got bigger plants... before you invest into a co2 generator.. get a quantum flux meter. There you get bigger plants for sure.

• Like 2