new to growing , need help

moloko plus

Hi guys im new to growing going start with 6 clones , just wanted to know if the bulbs Im getting would work fine for growing please assist...

wanting to use these

https://www.takealot.com/exo-terra-sun-glo-neodymium-daylight-basking-spot-lamp-75w/PLID41124443?gclid=CjwKCAjw_LL2BRAkEiwAv2Y3SY2bjqJ5VOS8UXIiWeEjWaZAj_t1-y8H6NIxbXtCfQxDK9rhiLv16BoCAmAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

or this 

https://www.takealot.com/exo-terra-sun-glo-tight-beam-basking-spot-lamp-150w/PLID41124439

not sure if they are the correct type of bulb as i want to get 4 of them to grow 6 clones

For clones and early veg you could put together a 150w MH light.

https://www.acdc.co.za/products/150w-ballast-for-hps-mh-lamp-230v?variant=39944165644

https://www.acdc.co.za/products/35-400w-ignitor-for-hps-mh-lamp-3-wire-1?variant=30469680972

https://www.acdc.co.za/products/hqi-ts-metal-halide-lamp-150w-rx7s?variant=30481831116

Will be about R800

To grow them out as in flower them...you gonna need 400w minimum

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1

@adre I deleted your other thread as it was asking the same question you asked here and you've already received some feedback in this thread.

Rather stick to one thread for questions pertaining to the same subject 🙂 

If you want for clones and veg, ACDC have an LED light which @CreX is quite found of and has had good results.

If you want something which would work well for flowering too, perhaps speak to @Master_G for an LED option.

I personally wouldn't spend money on a small HPS.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, adre said:

You still need a ballast and reflector for that bulb. It wont work on it's own. Starting out a new indoor grower, a 600w system is going to cost a lot of electricity while going through the learning curve...

Youd be looking at something this as a start if you really want to go in at 600w

https://www.futurama.co.za/wing-reflector-grow-light-combo-600w/

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CreX said:

Yea, no offense Totemic, but you can get 2x 150w 6000k led flood lights that put out crazy lumens and are just under 400 a pop. 

https://www.acdc.co.za/products/220-240-150w-cool-white-led-alum-flood-light-ip65?variant=20859630485581

IMG_20200526_210516.jpg

I've always thought about doing this... Got a link to a journal or something I could read through with a grow using these? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CreX said:

Yea, no offense Totemic, but you can get 2x 150w 6000k led flood lights that put out crazy lumens and are just under 400 a pop. 

https://www.acdc.co.za/products/220-240-150w-cool-white-led-alum-flood-light-ip65?variant=20859630485581

IMG_20200526_210516.jpg

this is kinda exactly what I want to do .....But ok I'm having a hard time understanding lighting part because now that's only 300W in total.....How much watts or lumens do you need per plant, cause everywhere I look  I get a different answer so not really sure anymore.

this is what i want to grow https://cannaclone.co.za/product/gorilla-glue-6-pack-special/

5 hours ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

I've always thought about doing this... Got a link to a journal or something I could read through with a grow using these? 

No full grow... And I'm only using it in flower because I donr have anything else to supplement light haha. 

And these are for veg mostly... But still the most cost effective light for veg needs... I have a 2.4x1.2m tent.. And 2 of these will be plenty for the entire tent. 

1 hour ago, adre said:

this is kinda exactly what I want to do .....But ok I'm having a hard time understanding lighting part because now that's only 300W in total.....How much watts or lumens do you need per plant, cause everywhere I look  I get a different answer so not really sure anymore.

this is what i want to grow https://cannaclone.co.za/product/gorilla-glue-6-pack-special/

Light per plant is tricky to determine.... 

And it's not a usual straight forward answer... 

It's like asking how long a piece of string is. 

But! There are guide lines for area calculations.... 

Remember that veg and flower require different levels and spectrums of light. 

Veg needing less light and a more blue spectrum... And bloom needing intense light in a more red spectrum. 

So if you want a light that does veg and bloom... You gonna need to buy a light that can do both... And spend the money

But if you wanna speperate your rooms... Then as veg lights go... The Acdc light is my fav. 

@Master_G has used acdc lights as well without complaints. 

• Like 1

What do you want out of your 6 clones in terms of actual grams of bud? 

What is your budget for the light? 

What is your monthly electricity budget?

Answer those 3 and it's easier to decide / give advice.

Edited by Totemic
  • Agree 1

Don't waste your money like that my dude. Save up and buy a nice light. I spent 5k on a 240W blurple and not satisfied, feeling like an idiot, now have to save up again to buy something better.  Buying that cfl, even for one plant, will be the biggest waste of time money and energy. Stand back, give it some time, save up some more money. Learn from others' mistakes, being in a hurry and forcing things will not get you far.

Saw the ones @Master_G and would highly recommend that if you wana start off on the right foot and save yourself some head and heartache. 

Blessed!

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Totemic said:

What do you want out of your 6 clones in terms of actual grams of bud? 

What is your budget for the light? 

What is your monthly electricity budget?

Answer those 3 and it's easier to decide / give advice.

ok so the place im getting the clones from is minimum 6 clones

I was told clone general yield is between 60g - 80g per plant

as for budget on the light im not to sure , want to keep it as cheap as possible but also ensure i get a decent yield

its my first try at this so after first grow i will most likely add on to my growing space as I do have a whole room to make use of

electricity doesnt bother me as much either

Ok, so if you are going for a 300-400g grow @ 50g a plant, then have a look at a 480w LED from @Master_G, or a 600w HID. But that's just what I'd do. I myself am shopping for lights and it's a toss up between these 2 options for me at the moment.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@adre please consider the options we are suggesting...

We get people who are eager to learn, much like yourself, asking this very question, at least once a week

What light should I get? 

This is often after they have already bought the light they feel is gonna grow some bomb ass weed... 

You are in a position to heed our guidance and not fall prey to gimmicks and poor performing lights. 

Peace and love bro

1 hour ago, Totemic said:

Ok, so if you are going for a 300-400g grow @ 50g a plant, then have a look at a 480w LED from @Master_G, or a 600w HID. But that's just what I'd do. I myself am shopping for lights and it's a toss up between these 2 options for me at the moment.

I understand the problem with CFL lights and i can see everyone is pointing to LEDs...... but what about a MH bulb and HPS bulb combo with a ballast and all ? 

24 minutes ago, adre said:

I understand the problem with CFL lights and i can see everyone is pointing to LEDs...... but what about a MH bulb and HPS bulb combo with a ballast and all ? 

MH and HPS will also work, however they are less efficient - so higher electricity usage, more heat and less usable output (PAR) compared to LED's.

For example, 550W of LED is around equivalent to 1000W of HID. There really is not much going for HID's anymore and that is why majority of growers now a days use LED or are moving over to LED. You won't find many people using MH and HPS.

@Ill_Evan and @CreX have both switched over from MH & HPS to LED within the past year or so and I doubt either of them would consider buying more HID lights, they'd likely get more LED's if they need more lighting.

With that being said not all LED's are equal, think of LED's as tyres for a car.... You get different brands - Michelin, Pirelli, Good Year, Toyo, Nexen and many more.

Let's take Michelin for example, they have tyres which are cheap and considered budget tyres... now the grip and performance, as well as noise level, comfort and fuel economy you get out of such a tyre would not compare to a higher end Michelin tyre.

With LED lights it all comes down to the actual diode being used.

Now with plants, cannabis in specific, they use photosynthesis in order to grow - typically outside there is the sun which provides light. Without the sun, the plants would not grow at all as they would not be able to generate food for themselves. Lights are one of the most important factors to consider when you want to grow cannabis.

If you get shitty lights, your end result will not be good. You can have the best of everything else, but shit lights will lead to a shit grow and a poor yield. Simple as that.

Since this is your first grow and you want to perhaps expand on your grow later on, I would recommend you do not skimp on lights. Get some proper quality lights - you will not regret it. If your budget does not allow for 480W+ of LED's then consider getting just 2x QB288's (240W) and when you have more money you can buy more lights.

Alternatively, go and purchase a cheap light. Then on your next grow you're going to spend even more money buying proper lights and the cheap shitty light you purchased will be sitting in a cupboard somewhere gathering dust.

• Agree 1