Potassium Bicarbonate, where to buy???

Prom

Where do you buy Potassium Bicarbonate in SA?? Get it in any European Supermarket.. just not in South Africa 😁

The weather in CT is shit.. and we really call it shit.. got the first time in 11 years hassle with my outdoors.. powdery mildew, just started, but can't find Potassium Bicarbonate.. as strange as it may sound hehehe

Can PLEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE somebody point me to a shop I can buy that quick and give my Ladies a cleaning shower????

357247117_mildewsmall.thumb.jpg.25c6c0256de94d1f68b574b96d5963bd.jpg

Edited by Prom
can't speak english ^^
  • Like 1

I need one shower.. is very very early. Never had taste issues with P Bicarb.. but can always bubble the plant if unhappy. Right now, only goal is to get rid of the fungus.

I even would apply Serenade on the spots by hand.. but that product is a zero find either ^^ How do you guys survive down here? 😁 Right now I use home made apple vinegar.. but the weather is not looking to get better.. so I have 2 options. Go a bit radical or dump the plant... so the others have a fair chance to finish clean.

329887345_infectedladysmall.thumb.jpg.5d4a69a430e782625e191af2e5b80d39.jpg

• Like 1

@Prom I must apologize, the Calcium Bicarbonate is better used as a prevention and follow up, had my wires crossed, P Bicarb is super effective during the veg stages, not sure about the buds.

I wonder why some products seem so unavailable in SA. 

Dudes are budwashing quite a bit this year for the PM, not sure if that is a option, how far does she still have to go?

I have been lucky with the PM, my little breeding spot is sheltered, leaves do not receive mist from ocean (or the dew), really helps a lot I think. 

Edited by Dank

Is due end March... so painfully long. Before I bud wash, I make a braai with the plant 😂 only thing mattering to me is quality. 

I might lose my full outdoor harvest is it spreads.. just the 5k fertilizer i blew into the babies is giving me a sour taste. Somewhere upwind is a badly infected garden... only explanation I can find. Only plant having the issue is standing also in the most windiest spot. Sometimes strange things happen 🙄

• Agree 1

I see P Carbonate is available in SA but for some reason difficult to get P BiCarbonate.

And for sure there are infected gardens everywhere, worst outdoor season ever for many.

Edited by Dank
added - worst outdoor season ever for many.

I start to get the idea to get some proper gear to SA ^^ Is like the fertilizer.. only real pro option is Bio Bizz.. and that is double the price as in Europe. My first choice isn't available either.. nobody down here imports Plagron! Why?? Don't know. Is like with Serenade .. import. Cant be that hard to get some good products in one grow shop inside SA.. legal growing. Perhaps time.. after 21 years of living in retirement 😁 to start working again.

Perhaps I am also just a bit grumpy because one of my babies has Coronavirus issues 😁 So please nobody take any of my ranting personal.. but I miss so many products down here.  

Edited by Prom
31 years retirement would have been nice hehehe is 21.. i retired with 30
  • Agree 1

Hello Prom, Check distilique out. They sell little baggies of potassium carbonate. Alkalising powder from the chemist will contain bicarbonate . The way this stuff works is to raise the pH too high for the PM to survive. Milk works on the same principle. 

Try these okes. They might have what you need

https://shop.aquaponics.africa/product/potassium-bicarbonate-100g-2/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oros da boss said:

Hello Prom, Check distilique out. They sell little baggies of potassium carbonate. Alkalising powder from the chemist will contain bicarbonate . The way this stuff works is to raise the pH too high for the PM to survive. Milk works on the same principle. 

Try these okes. They might have what you need

https://shop.aquaponics.africa/product/potassium-bicarbonate-100g-2/

Thanks man! I was on the website yesterday and just got scrambled code. Wrote a email to the admin and hoping it reaches a mailbox ^^ must have. You are a super star. ordered!

Edited by Prom
star ... the word is star

@Prom 

Greetings buddy. 

Have you tried spraying with a milk/water mix 50/50 ratio?

Since I joined 420sa I've come across a few guys mention spraying milk to fight PM. I brushed it off cos I didn't see how it could work... up until about 2 weeks ago... a few of my more susceptible outdoor strains had some PM appear on them. I was kind of happy cos I got a chance to try the milk method. If it was to work I could adopt this method indoors if ever I have PM issues. 

Long story short... 2 sprays over 4 days has seemed to work better then I expected. The milk leaves a shiny residue on the leaves and seems to have kept the PM at bay. Today was really hot and now's its pouring with rain and is quite cool... I'm expecting to see some PM appear and I'm already mentally prepared to spray again.

The part I love the most about the milk spray is it doesn't turn white pistils brown compared to spraying with things like bicarb, h2o2, etc.

Edited by Mambawana
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Mambawana

Thanks for the advice, bru!

I was considering milk.. but decided due to the weather not to go that way. Is very humid and I fear I battle suddenly bud mold too (even I would boil the milk before using it).

I need a week of warm dry weather or I really see no way to get rid of a fungus. Friend down the road has bud mold and is fighting a rather loosing battle. CT weather is very very humid this season. 65% and cloudy as we speak.. little fungi must have a rave on those leafs right now 😂 might even rain a bit.. then the party should turn orgy.

No answer from the Aquarium shop yet ^^ i have my hopes on the P Bicarb.. worked good in my few experiences. Serenade is the best of the best.. a fungi eating bacteria and dies off when there is no food anymore. Told a friend in Germany to send me a bottle... might take a bit to reach me, so more a nice to have bottle for the next case. 

Eskom just had us 3.5 hours down too... 😁 growing in SA keeps you on your toes.

• Like 2

Lol fucken worms... 

Moths are a real problem for me... So I had to put this up in my bathroom. 

Whoop now only little little moths can get in... 

Sheesh what a nightmare they were... I'd have like 100 of the fuckers in my bathroom, on my toothbrush, on my towels... In the shower... Everything everywhere it was nuts... And then the worms followed. 

Iv found the only way to get past this is a religiously thorough inspection of all the plants.... 

You need to become theee worm hunter 3000 to get them all haha

IMG_20200227_205210.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/10/2020 at 1:35 PM, oros da boss said:

Oros.. you saved my plants 😁

Aquarium shop is not the best communicator hehehe but they did send the stuff right away. Got the Potassium Bicarb yesterday, instantly gave the whole outdoor crop a soaking.. 10L for 9 plants.

Today looks already waaaaaaay better.. winning this fight 😎 Gave a second light shower right now and have a very good mood 😄

The stuff is as effective as I remember it.. but still can't wait to get the Serenade ☺️

Have a fun week growing!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, oros da boss said:

@Prom Thats great news. You must be stoked. Can you tell me how you diluted it? Will you keep spraying, or is twice sufficient?

Touch wood, but the only pests I've had so far, are mites and whitefly. I grow regular blueberry from Dutch Passion and my keeper mom is very mould resistant. 

Putting all on the P Bicarb would be to much of an honor ^^ I used apple vinegar before for 3 days (5ml per liter water) .. the areas where it reached the flowers, I used 15ml per liter and gave it a local harsh flush, soaked the flower as good as I could.

The P Bicarb i mixed 1 tea/spoon (6.5g) per liter water. 

Checks I just did with the microscope on a few spot.. all tests look rather dead to me 😁 

I will not spray for 2 days now and see what is going on. If the weather stays as humid, yes, I will spray them lightly every 2 days, but stay with the P Bicarb for now.

Rather funny how your mood swings with the condition of your plants.. 😆  

Edited by Prom
table spoon, tea spoon.. imperial measurements are not my best hehehe
  • Thanks 1

@Prom I also bought potassium bicarbonate from these guys sprayed my crop like 15 plant for pm and all the pistols burner. What do I do know any advise? Can't understand why it happened. Read that potassium bicarbonate is the best to use when plant are in flowering???

Sorry ^^ Eskom got a bit in my way 😁 

Can't add much.. I just want to point to a simple fact.. if you use Ph as a weapon, always check that your soil stays in the right Ph region. 

And just that I get my imperial stuff right.. Ounce = 32g and a gallon is 3.8 liter. Is a little more as I take as ration (6.5g per liter water) and should be ok to use.

But as Mambawana said.. you are good 😉 you most likely checked in the morning and at lunch time it already looked a bit better. 

They are a bit stressed now.. so they will drink a bit less.. don't swamp em