First ever grow

SAgrower

2 hours ago, SAgrower said:

Yes I saw the hairs are brown and curling in, its the trichomes Im asking about as Im not sure if its the sun that burnt them amber or if they turned amber due to being ready to harvest.

If it was the sun I can leave them longer, if its due to age I would want to cut them now already so not sure how to differentiate between sun burnt and being ready to harvest.

Well, I wouldn't look at only one spot on the plant in determining ripeness... 

Depending on the size of the plant... I would take readings between 5 and 10 different parts of the plant and give myself an average of the amber. 

I like to make sure the bud is done, but not a fan of couch lock... So I generally cut at around 5 to 10% amber

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn't look at only one spot on the plant in determining ripeness... 
Depending on the size of the plant... I would take readings between 5 and 10 different parts of the plant and give myself an average of the amber. 
I like to make sure the bud is done, but not a fan of couch lock... So I generally cut at around 5 to 10% amber
Yes I want as little couch lock as possible thanks

And I guess to answer your question about the sun... 

I think that a high UV index would eventually degrade the trichomes, but I doubt that it's the sun if it's just the tops of the colas.... 50cm further from the sun isn't going to make any difference to its potency and strength. 

A more likely issue would be handling the Cola in any way... Pressing it to see how dense she is or whatever... Less handling equals better appearance. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

And I guess to answer your question about the sun... 
I think that a high UV index would eventually degrade the trichomes, but I doubt that it's the sun if it's just the tops of the colas.... 50cm further from the sun isn't going to make any difference to its potency and strength. 
A more likely issue would be handling the Cola in any way... Pressing it to see how dense she is or whatever... Less handling equals better appearance. 
Thanks, guess its chopping time then. Will make 100% sure and decide then.

They change color by changing their chemical composition and that happens over time. Some are faster.. some slower.. some plants have their own agenda. 

As said above, you decide when you want to harvest. Check several spots on the plant.. get a good overview of the colors on your plant and harvest according to your liking. This part is the most annoying patience test of the grow cycle 😁 but harvesting to early is a bit like wasting all the work and money you put into the plant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So I chopped the lemon haze on Tuesday evening but the dry room aka garage has a humidity reading of between 53% going down to 43% as the temp went up.

I cant find the humidifier to increase humidity so are there any suggestions as to the way forward? Do I trim and jar or leave for longer?

The extra leaves still on the bud is extremely dry, breaks finely when pressed together so not sure as to which way to go now.

I hope everyone is still doing good. I found like 1 or 2 seeds on 2 of my plants so fairly lucky considering its an outdoor grow.

Would someone be able to tell me how far along this plant is? Sorry for the quality of the picture but its difficult to take a picture and hold the loupe and hold the plant steady.

The last picture is with the light of the loupe turned on. According to the breeder I should only start looking around the 15th of March.

I want as little couch lock as possible.

c576342ed990b230b19e23d82a2e7859.jpgdb1f99334465776be6d4b46538ef8a8b.jpge6a5d3ab7cbbda1811ea07b8d620ba14.jpg23814bf163dd00ca935b6123535cb67f.jpgdc77b7cc3220f268da3cdc4cc15907c9.jpg548e85acd05b8aa2dbb14857e2bd0d1d.jpg3b8ae206443bef802970e77f7930e64a.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/27/2020 at 3:14 PM, SAgrower said:

So I chopped the lemon haze on Tuesday evening but the dry room aka garage has a humidity reading of between 53% going down to 43% as the temp went up.

I cant find the humidifier to increase humidity so are there any suggestions as to the way forward? Do I trim and jar or leave for longer?

The extra leaves still on the bud is extremely dry, breaks finely when pressed together so not sure as to which way to go now.

Rather safe than sorry. Don't wanna put wet bud in a jar. Practice makes perfect though. Sucks when bud dries too fast and gets a green taste.

You gonna need to get closer... 
I cant see the tricomes colour at all man, sorreh. 
Yeah, also, try to focus in on a calyx. The sugar leaf trichomes will almost always show plenty amber, while the flower itself is still clear/milky...
Sorry about that guys. Is this better? I find it extremely difficult to get a nice close up photo otherwise I will try again tonight when the wife is home.

This pictures showing the 'white' trichomes is where the light of the loupe was on.
dd41b7ad8b02fc6f4f06cd9c1489cb65.jpgc4e9e0298a535d6c3115f2f22f95ca8a.jpg460f061a2b7f00583abbb2a8a50c3c91.jpg14a980a29a871b8dc48819eac26cd2cd.jpg0545fa50b6ca45ac886259fa50c13db5.jpg21ff67382a1091736053c4d36ff0b7ff.jpg89b023c7766b39be3da70c8c280d3717.jpg82791581d512ef1afe51faf78dd9159e.jpgf439d9a9c5a1493a3007b4f79ff5fe99.jpg

Taking pics might not be the way forward. 

We need to be able to see the little ball on top of the trichomes stalk. 

So if you can look closer without taking pics, can you tell the colour of the trichomes balls? 

If you still can't see, it might be that the loupe isn't as powerful as you need it to be. 

You can pick up a hand held microscope for very little at most grow shops. 

Taking pics might not be the way forward. 
We need to be able to see the little ball on top of the trichomes stalk. 
So if you can look closer without taking pics, can you tell the colour of the trichomes balls? 
If you still can't see, it might be that the loupe isn't as powerful as you need it to be. 
You can pick up a hand held microscope for very little at most grow shops. 
That's the thing, to me they look clear, to someone else they look milky and someone else will say theres some amber but I agree, the loupe is not really helpful here.
  • Like 1

It could be both, milky and clear and amber here and there... 

With the naked eye it's harder, but I guess a few tips maybe in order. 

Firstly, iv harvested weed while some of the calyx pistols are still white, maybe 20% still white, and only in future grows have I realized that amber only really starts coming when almost all of the pistols go brown. 

Of coarse this is highly strain dependant and results will differ if you are eyeballing it. My general rule of thumb is now when about 5% of the pistols are still white it's harvest time. This gives me a mature bud, With little couch lock.. Again, strain dependant. 

The hand held microscope hust helps get it perfect to the day. 

If you can, hit up a China mall for a microscope with at least 60x magnification. 

Don't go for more than 150x either as your field of view becomes smaller and you see less trichomes, forcing you to need to check more places to get an average of the amber 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thats plant scale. There are a few species, they may live in symbiotic relationship with ants.
Do a google search, they are not good for your plants and can do enough damage to eventually kill them.
You can manually remove them or spray them with an oil/soap solution.
Ants around plants like in your pics are usually bad news.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thats plant scale. There are a few species, they may live in symbiotic relationship with ants.
Do a google search, they are not good for your plants and can do enough damage to eventually kill them.
You can manually remove them or spray them with an oil/soap solution.
Ants around plants like in your pics are usually bad news.

Ants herd and farm aphids.. they drink the sweet juice the aphids give, when stimulated. So they also protect them against enemies.. get rid of the ants and the rest on your plants ASAP 
Thanks guys, appreciate the response. I sprayed the plants yesterday late afternoon with a tobacco, sunlight liquid and gloves mix. I removed most of them by hand but how can I get rid of the ants in the pots and plants currently?

Ants you can kill on contact with soapy water, it dissolves the wax coating on their eksoskeleton and they die.

You can also use borax and icing sugar, 50/50 mix with bit of water(mix to thick paste) as a bait around nests, ants like sugar and carry it into the nest and they die.(not safe with pets and kids)

Otherwise there are many commercial products available, some more nasty than others.

• Like 1

Ants you can kill on contact with soapy water, it dissolves the wax coating on their eksoskeleton and they die.

You can also use borax and icing sugar, 50/50 mix with bit of water(mix to thick paste) as a bait around nests, ants like sugar and carry it into the nest and they die.(not safe with pets and kids)

Otherwise there are many commercial products available, some more nasty than others.

Thank you, this is really helping during my first grow.

Seems like I only ask for advice here. This plant (Hulk berry) is dying on the one side. Its one of the main branches.

Any idea why? Cant find anything wrong on the tree.
b3c4db62ccfd2b5d10eba6af746f458c.jpgc66746dbb09e5e6af40b7e16864af4d7.jpg
Evening@SAgrower
Pics of the whole plant are good, but pls also add close up pics of the problem areas.
Here is what I can see.
1. That plants looks like you are spraying something- milk for pm? (White spots)
2. Are the bricks for stability? What size is that bag? Maybe she is rootbound.
3. Is the brick on the right cutting into the stem at all?
4. Some of those brown buds look like bud rot but need a close up pic.