How do you mix your soil?

I'm curious to know what methods/machines some of you guys use to mix your own soils?

Throwing the soil out and tossing it with a shovel is getting a bit tedious these days for me and tough on the back, at this tender old age of 30 👴 Time is also an issue plus I also don't see it doing the most effective job of mixing the soil thoroughly. 

I'm aware of using small cement mixers like the one below. My local coastal hire rents them out for R430-00 a day delivery included, which isn't such a bad option I guess but it will be an extra expense. I'm keen to know if any of you have devised your own DIY contraptions to mix soil or just plainly how you do it.

@Green Leaf Organics @Totemic @Organics Matter @Toby

45728518-pdpxl.jpg

• Agree 1

:-hilarious it's all downhill from 30 bru. It gets worse.

I mix by shovel. I dont mix up enough to warrant a mixer. Although a mixer is not a bad move if its tons you are talking about.

I simply remind myself that this is exercise even though its killing my back, it's worth it for my body, wallet, and future harvest.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hahaha...!!! Downhill from 30....
I'll raise you another 10 and add a slipped disc.
Gooi daai graaf meneer

But I must admit the engineer in me has been thinking of building something.... necessity is the mother of all inventions.
An open ended plastic 200l drum on a wheeled trolley laying at an angle on rollers, spun by an electric motor.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 8/6/2019 at 4:36 PM, Totemic said:

:-hilarious it's all downhill from 30 bru. It gets worse.

I mix by shovel. I dont mix up enough to warrant a mixer. Although a mixer is not a bad move if its tons you are talking about.

I simply remind myself that this is exercise even though its killing my back, it's worth it for my body, wallet, and future harvest.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy mixing up soil. But that was when I only needed to mix up 40-60L at a time. Ideally I want to mix up a batch of about 200L of soil next which is quite a lot but doesn't really justify renting a mixer. 

@Bospatrollie2 the challenge is on bru. Show me the way :-meditate

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 7:23 PM, Bospatrollie2 said:

Hahaha...!!! Downhill from 30....emoji44.png
I'll raise you another 10 and add a slipped disc.
Gooi daai graaf meneeremoji28.png

But I must admit the engineer in me has been thinking of building something.... necessity is the mother of all inventions.
An open ended plastic 200l drum on a wheeled trolley laying at an angle on rollers, spun by an electric motor.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I would cut a 200l drum in half... Pretty much make the mixer the same as a concrete mixer vibe... But make it spin with a crank... The electric motor will drive the cost up real high for a simple device 😁

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

I think I have age on all of you. Give your kid some pocket money and have them mix it or help at least. That is my solution for now.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Shot bru I would 😁 but my 3 year old is yet to be indoctrinated and doesn't care much for money. He'll do it anyway though

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CreX said:

I would cut a 200l drum in half... Pretty much make the mixer the same as a concrete mixer vibe... But make it spin with a crank... The electric motor will drive the cost up real high for a simple device 😁

That's the idea yes. Mixing about 40L at a time would be fine so the drum doesn't have to be that big. The crank bit leaves me blank. Wouldn't know where to start or where to look for something like that. I agree an electric motor isn't needed. As long as the bin rotates smoothly. 

• Like 2

That's the idea yes. Mixing about 40L at a time would be fine so the drum doesn't have to be that big. The crank bit leaves me blank. Wouldn't know where to start or where to look for something like that. I agree an electric motor isn't needed. As long as the bin rotates smoothly. 
Pedal it like a bicycle?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 420SA said:

Okay so... You can imagine the 200l bin in half... Now imagine drilling a hole at the bottom in the middle. 

At the open side of the drum, weld a 25mm flat bar across the diameter of the drum, weld a ring on the center of the bar that a bar can fit into, big nut works well, and take a 15mm solid round bar, stick it through the hole at the bottom of the drum... Now you have a spindle for your drum. 

The frame will have to be at your discretion. 

The crank though... Is super easy too... I would take a wheel from a trolley or a wheel bin... Fashion a crank and mount it on to the drum, so that when you turn the crank... The wheel rides on the drum and turns it. 

So I would actually design the drum frame exactly the same as the cement mixer... With the crank in place of the motor

• Like 2