White widow clones

Oolong83

Whadup ya’ll? 

First timer here. I got these nice WW fem clones from highchome, thanx dude. 

Replanted them into cocomix (coco50%perlite25%soil25%)

added nutes right after potting. (Kelpak, wondersoil all purpose & flora coco grow)

ph to 6.0, maybe little lower(yellow)

currently using 15w LED growlights x 5 + 1 heating lamp, but upgrading all of this VERY SOON, maybe today or tomorrow.

checked in on them this morning, they seem be doing ok.

feel free to give advice and pointers, as this is my first attempt at indoor growth i am open to all advice.

happy smoking ya’ll

CC904D14-5FF3-4411-AB67-EF8CC9F3F4DF.jpeg

B9F5E424-B280-4AF0-AF18-B7F33952CB77.jpeg

Edited by Oolong83
  • Like 1

Hey guys

so this morning i was taking a closer look at these ladies and noticed the leaves are showing signs of something. I noticed 2 days ago the tips looking burnt, so i flushed both yesterday with plain water ph to 5.8.

Please help. 

A95BE43A-7A53-457C-87A0-2439FF274ED8.jpeg

B265FFF5-7A25-497D-B829-AE1E94CD5C91.jpeg

Could it be early signs of calcium deficiency? Hopefully one of the pros can confirm...

I'm doing pure coco&perlite and the coc needs to be buffered with calcium and magnesium to avoid this. I think you are doing 25% soil, so I don't think that is considered hydroponic anymore. I'd guess you would be wanting to target the soil pH range rather than the hydro pH range.

Also I'd imagine that with a high percentage of coco you'd still be at risk of calcium deficiency. I buffered my coco, add a low concentration of calmag in my nutrients and also apply a calmag foliar spray (I got the calcium-magnesium-nitrate from hyrdroponics.co.za).

(FWIW Personally I could not be any happier with the coco/perlite approach, I've seen a massive improvement in my plants since switching. However I've not grown in high quality soil so I can't actually compare. But I don't have much motivation to switch at at any point)

CalcliumLeaves.jpg.5dcca537c8115107e29581351ebb1745.jpg

Edited by highchome
ph
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trailblazer420 said:

Why 5.8?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

i read that with coco your ph should be between 5.0-6.0, is this wrong? whay should the proper ph be?

51 minutes ago, highchome said:

Could it be early signs of calcium deficiency? Hopefully one of the pros can confirm...

I'm doing pure coco&perlite and the coc needs to be buffered with calcium and magnesium to avoid this. I think you are doing 25% soil, so I don't think that is considered hydroponic anymore. I'd guess you would be wanting to target the soil pH range rather than the hydro pH range.

Also I'd imagine that with a high percentage of coco you'd still be at risk of calcium deficiency. I buffered my coco, add a low concentration of calmag in my nutrients and also apply a calmag foliar spray (I got the calcium-magnesium-nitrate from hyrdroponics.co.za).

(FWIW Personally I could not be any happier with the coco/perlite approach, I've seen a massive improvement in my plants since switching. However I've not grown in high quality soil so I can't actually compare. But I don't have much motivation to switch at at any point)

CalcliumLeaves.jpg.5dcca537c8115107e29581351ebb1745.jpg

The coco peat i use is pre-buffered, but i think these 2 were planted before i baught the buffered one. was a wet coco mix from nursery.

Maybe add some Calmag to mix next time?

i agree on the coco peat, love it, moerse improvement on my plants since i put them into cocomix.

PS. idont use soil in the new ones anymore, only coco, perlite & vermiculite.

i mixed one bag of perlite & vermiculite with one pre-buffered brick of cocopeat, the big one.

will move these ladies into this mix once they ready for repotting.

20 minutes ago, Oolong83 said:

I dont use soil in the new ones anymore, only coco, perlite & vermiculite.

Right, that makes it easier 🙂. I'm not sure what it would be with 25% soil, probably still the normal soil pH target. For pure coco/perlite you are doing hydroponics so use those targets

Then it seems like 5.8 is the ideal range. I'm probably over cautious doing the calmag the way I'm doing it, but so far no issues... Hopefully someone can confirm that is is a Ca deficiency as I'm only guessing though.

So if you are in pure coco/perlite (+vermiculite) you are doing at least daily watering with nutrients right? I'm doing twice a day, which seems very odd after having to restrain myself when growing in soil. I'm mostly following articles from cocoforcannabis.com but shout if you want more detail on what has been working for me

Anyway here are two charts showing the pH targets, I hope the plants come right!

Nutrient_Chart2.gif.15ed205a81c19580f14e6fce5c6834c9.gif

PH-and-cannabis.jpg.6ff710d4ffeef0b11fc69d34d8928a8a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think im just gonna replant them into pure coco/perlite/vermiculite. Then its somma done. 

Also with the nutes i use, should i mix them or just use one mix per feeding?

The bottles say not to mix, but the vids i watch the guys mix different nutes together?

i also add some calmag to each feeding.

8E952B26-229E-4FA7-951C-5C33E5FE8261.jpeg

B38A86AD-A06C-4512-8045-2114EFC16D12.jpeg

B4CFB227-DB46-4920-8E26-12105C5A6512.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Oolong83 said:

Also with the nutes i use, should i mix them or just use one mix per feeding?

I'm not sure 😞, hopefully one of the organic growers can confirm.

I know it can matter so I guess it is best to follow the instructions until you get an answer. I'm using synthetic nutrient and I do mix a batch for a few days which is convenient, the hortimix ferts have been really cost effective and work well so far. But  not organic, so not an option if that matters to you.

PS take a look at: https://www.420sa.co.za/index.php?/topic/2367-calcium/, there are some nice pics there that may help

Edited by highchome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm growing outdoor organic in my own soil mix.
50%Compost
30%commercial potting soil
20%riversand

I feed sparingly with Seagrow and supplement with AACT for the rootzone.
I only use rainwater or koipond water.
Our Municipality messes with tap water too much. PH is all over the show.

Less is more- we tend to think otherwise!!

You need to be careful when mixing a whole bunch of stuff together.
It usually causes more problems than it solves. Been there got the t-shirt. Shotgun remedies are bad.

If the signs are on the old growth but the new growth looks good, give the plant some time. It wil show you what it needs.

Members with similar growing conditions will probably be able to assist more.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

@Oolong83 you could mix those nutrients together depending on what you want to achiive, higher N levels, etc. 

The most important is to keep a ratio, don't mix all of them full strength but in ratio, would be my advice. and also only when needed.

Used on their own is easier not to screw up inmo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Dank said:

and also only when needed

@Dank just to double check... Using pure coco/perlite is the same as hydroponics. The coco is only going to hold whatever you last watered, so you are supposed to add nutrients with every watering. I.e. its very unlike soil. The advantage is you get much more control since you can easily keep the pH, EC and nutrient levels exactly where you want them and adjust then very quickly (hours max). The disadvantage is that you need to add ferts (fertigate) much more often (at least daily). 

I'm not sure only using them when needed makes sense here? Perhaps it is different with these specific nutrients..., I know the guys on the coco forum have been trying with organics but I've not followed that closely.

• Like 1

@highchome usually growers would use a complete nutrient solution, ie, part 1, 2, 3 or veg and bloom, etc for hydroponic or semi hydro grows. 

Didnt catch the coco/perlite part, yeh that is hydro, the nutes he has there could be good for veg, not sure about flowering.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 2

OK, so i replanted those two WW ladies to COCO-MIX last night.

im thinking of changing the feeding regiment, let me know what you guys think,

every second day i will feed 

25ml Kelpak

25ml all purpose

5ml Flora-coco grow

2ml Cal-mag

ALL DILUTED INTO A 5LT water ph to 5.8

every other day i will water with only 25ml Kelpak and 2ml Cal-mag diluted into 5lt water ph to 5.8

Waht do you guys think? will this schedule be sufficient? 

I think you are better off with an EC meter, I got this one for R300
   https://growguru.co.za/products/basic-tds-ppm-ec-digital-water-meter

TDS is based on EC. As far as I understand TDS is mostly EC*1000/2 (TDS500) but there are different standards. So you don't always know what you are comparing to. EC is just EC.

If you want plain TDS meter though, you can get them on bidorbuy for ~R200

I got this one for pH: https://www.takealot.com/portable-digital-ph-pen-meter-tester-pool-aquarium/PLID48545959

But you'll need to calibrate it weekly. So worth getting a pH 4.0 calibration mix, as well a "storage solution". 

As for TDS I'd still recommend an EC meter over a TDS one. The one I linked to does TDS as well so you are covered both ways with it. I wasted money on a TDS meter (that then broke), I should just have got the EC one to start with 😞 

• Thanks 1