First ever Grow...

MrE

Howdy,

Thought I'd start a journal of sorts here.

Absolute first time growing anything.

Equipment:

- 80x80x160cm tent

- 75W Luminus Gen 4 CXM-22 COB (Mean Well NPF-90D-54, dimmed down from 90W) (Spliced a 140mm pc fan to an old Nokia 5v charger, so it runs silent)

- Air (type) 9,5L pots, Freedom Farms Classic, GHE tri-pack with PH tester drops and PH down combo...

1. Random photo seed I got from my sister. Unsure of sex yet.

2. Nirvana - AK48 Auto (one Cotyledon leaf broke off) (over-watered)

3. Nirvana - Short Rider Auto (over-watered)

Started both in Jiffy type pellets which I unfortunately waterlogged and placed in the soil. I think they'll survive though. Dutch Passion Euforia Autos arrived today, will leave in fridge for now.

IMG_20190522_214028.jpg

IMG_20190522_222828.jpg

Edited by MrE
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, which is the Dutch Passion Euforia auto.

I've also got some seeds.

Autos should not be repotted, so not sure if you have it in one of the big pots or not?

If not, you can consider cutting the bottom off on the smaller pot then placing that inside a larger pot and hopefully it won't disturb it as much.

EDIT: You've got a few plants in there, what are the rest?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Nice, which is the Dutch Passion Euforia auto.

I've also got some seeds.

Autos should not be repotted, so not sure if you have it in one of the big pots or not?

If not, you can consider cutting the bottom off on the smaller pot then placing that inside a larger pot and hopefully it won't disturb it as much.

EDIT: You've got a few plants in there, what are the rest?

Note 7 Pro! ..Nice

Euforia is the smallest of the three (big pots), Short Rider rear left, AK48 on the right. The rest are random crappy photo seeds.

Yep, I read the same about autos, I popped them in a bit of Jiffy Pellet placed in the soil, since apparently Freedom Farms says it's not conducive for germinating (I'm gonna give it a try next time anyway, also read some reports that it's not a problem, perhaps marketing trying to sell their germinating mix).

Note 7 Pro! ..Nice
Euforia is the smallest of the three (big pots), Short Rider rear left, AK48 on the right. The rest are random crappy photo seeds.
Yep, I read the same about autos, I popped them in a bit of Jiffy Pellet placed in the soil, since apparently Freedom Farms says it's not conducive for germinating (I'm gonna give it a try next time anyway, also read some reports that it's not a problem, perhaps marketing trying to sell their germinating mix).

Thanks, loving the phone! Was a mission to get though as it was only released in India & China.

Nice, will certainly be watching your grow and the Euforia plant.
I think I want to pick up some FF germination soil as well and give it a go.

2 hours ago, Dr. Green said:

They look great.

Are you going to move some of those plants somewhere else? They will get too big for that tent

Thanks man, surviving despite me! Doing a bit of leaf tucking and stem pinching to expose the developing areas.

I know, I do have a 100x100x200cm tent I bought and haven't opened, still unsure how far I want to go with this lil hobby. Kind of spent more money than I can afford! Although if I switch to photos, I can use the smaller tent for veg and larger for flower, get a perpetual deal going on. Perhaps that would pay for itself over the years.

• Like 3

Due to my extreme OCD, I've been doing plenty of things to these poor plants that I know I shouldn't have. Trimming leaves, bending stems, LST'ing at far too late a stage, removing soil to check that a germinating seed is still alive etc. etc. You name it I've done it.

It all culminated in snapping off a main branch tonight. 

Hopefully, that jolt to my system can stem the tide of plant abuse that I'm inflicting on these poor things.
I have poor impulse control I'm afraid. 

The middle plant is retarded because I didn't pack the soil enough around the seed, and had to intervene and re-plant it when it's roots couldn't penetrate far enough down. It survived, but you can see it's rather...flat.

Here's to the future, ie. The Euforia youngling on the bottom right, the only one I have raised correctly so far. The Euforia on the left was slow and I couldn't help but scrape away soil to make it easier to break ground, which I presume is why it's so much smaller.

Advice is welcomed.

IMG_20190704_010156.jpg

Edited by MrE
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, MrE said:

Due to my extreme OCD, I've been doing plenty of things to these poor plants that I know I shouldn't have. Trimming leaves, bending stems, LST'ing at far too late a stage, removing soil to check that a germinating seed is still alive etc. etc. You name it I've done it.

It all culminated in snapping off a main branch tonight. 

Hopefully, that jolt to my system can stem the tide of plant abuse that I'm inflicting on these poor things.
I have poor impulse control I'm afraid. 

The middle plant is retarded because I didn't pack the soil enough around the seed, and had to intervene and re-plant it when it's roots couldn't penetrate far enough down. It survived, but you can see it's rather...flat.

Here's to the future, ie. The Euforia youngling on the bottom right, the only one I have raised correctly so far. The Euforia on the left was slow and I couldn't help but scrape away soil to make it easier to break ground, which I presume is why it's so much smaller.

Advice is welcomed.

IMG_20190704_010156.jpg

I think we all been there, lol.

still looking bru. 

• Agree 1

On 7/4/2019 at 7:17 AM, Oolong83 said:

I think we all been there, lol.

still looking bru. 

Hehe, 🙂

So, I've got the 3500K + 660nm and the 3000K + 660nm boards in the tent, dimmed really low but about 20cm at the closest point. Will see how it goes. Reckon it's a good spectrum spread, so I'll get rid of extraneous gear and stick with this setup.

IMG_20190705_220826.jpg

IMG_20190705_220853.jpg

IMG_20190705_231017.jpg

Edited by MrE
  • Like 5

Nice growing @MrE ! :-greenthumb

If you find you are doing too much too the plants, it could help to put up a monthly block calendar for your grow. In there you can plan things ahead of time, as well as keep track of things already done.

When you are in a situation where you want to mutilate some greenlings, check your calendar, it might be day for training, if not you can jot down some more to do stuff on the calendar. You can look at that in a glance and see if your plants will be hassled a lot or not, lol, I find myself scribling on my calendar when there is not much to do in the grow.

Your LED's are sleek bro, keen to see how the plants grow out, I think they are loving that spectrum like you mentioned, did you do a DIY build on them?

Seems like LANK LED's in there is it pulling a lot of power? Sorry about the questions, LED noob here learning more about them. :-rolled

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Dank said:

Nice growing @MrE ! :-greenthumb

If you find you are doing too much too the plants, it could help to put up a monthly block calendar for your grow. In there you can plan things ahead of time, as well as keep track of things already done.

When you are in a situation where you want to mutilate some greenlings, check your calendar, it might be day for training, if not you can jot down some more to do stuff on the calendar. You can look at that in a glance and see if your plants will be hassled a lot or not, lol, I find myself scribling on my calendar when there is not much to do in the grow.

Your LED's are sleek bro, keen to see how the plants grow out, I think they are loving that spectrum like you mentioned, did you do a DIY build on them?

Seems like LANK LED's in there is it pulling a lot of power? Sorry about the questions, LED noob here learning more about them. :-rolled

Thanks man!

I like the calendar idea, I'm going to do it! A visual aid seems like a perfect tool for me.

I ordered the "DIY" (using supplied Wago connectors) kits from China.

It can pull 240W, but I've dimmed them down a LOT, and am monitoring the leaves for any signs of stress. Doing my best to save as much electricity as possible, while still having a good light spread.

Love this hobby.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 10:52 PM, MrE said:

My first view of trichomes! Pretty stoked. Actually haven't smoked in a couple years. Looking to cut down on the ssri's.

If you want to use the plant for medicinal purposes it would be better to grow high CBD strains and extract the harvest into pure CBD oil (Phoenix Tears) and ingest it orally rather than smoking it. There are proven studies that extracting it into CBD oil and ingesting it is way more effective medicinally than smoking it. All the best!

1 hour ago, KushNewbie said:

If you want to use the plant for medicinal purposes it would be better to grow high CBD strains and extract the harvest into pure CBD oil (Phoenix Tears) and ingest it orally rather than smoking it. There are proven studies that extracting it into CBD oil and ingesting it is way more effective medicinally than smoking it. All the best!

Cool, thanks mate!

I was planning on making "Rick Simpson Oil" with it? I also have a bit of Arthritis in my knees.

But yea I'll definitely be looking for a nice, roughly, 1:1 thc/cbd ratio auto strain that isn't hard to grow (chose these partly because of their easy growing nature, so I could learn all the important aspects (added my first proper feed of nutrient infused water today).

Yep, a genuine noob over here.

1 hour ago, MrE said:

Cool, thanks mate!

I was planning on making "Rick Simpson Oil" with it? I also have a bit of Arthritis in my knees.

But yea I'll definitely be looking for a nice, roughly, 1:1 thc/cbd ratio auto strain that isn't hard to grow (chose these partly because of their easy growing nature, so I could learn all the important aspects (added my first proper feed of nutrient infused water today).

Yep, a genuine noob over here.

Yip, that's it. Rick Simpson Oil is another name for Phoenix Tears! You've got it! 💪

On 6/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, MrE said:

TBH i believe that, i've placed about 10 seeds in jiffy pellets before they popped and nothing happened. 

so now i wait for them to pop open before placing in jiffy pellets.

Also, has anyone noticed how the jiffy pellets turn green with fungus after a few days?