Day 14 Leaf Strip - pitchforks welcome

narnia

I think that is a little extreme.......

I thought so too when eventually finishing around 3am (FML for choosing night time for lights on). Looking at the pic now, I see the odd lurker I would've cut :-flyinghi

I'll post tears or bounce back in 4-7 days. Don't have a side by side comparison as all from bean, different medium and strain. May try side-by-side on next run if like the strain(s)

I am stunned lol that plant may grow a few pairs of nuts after that . Would have been better to do it at day 21 as well , it's still stretching at day 14

Awe, I'm doing mine tonight (day 21). BUT you okes scare me ekse... Now i'm two minded. narnia[/member] which leaves did you leave on? Just the ones where the buds are?

Hey all, thanks for the interest. Holding thumbs.

Watching GML quite a bit, and seeing how those on the panel of the live show react when they try it, was the inspiration for such an aggressive strip and the week/day to hit her on. It's naturally quite controversial.

Other two girls in same cab I stripped last night, but not AS aggressively as they're not filling out the space as much.

Can't tag as lots of peeps but to address some Qs.

Will watch for nanners

*Virtually* anything that had a stem I cut, within some semblance of reason

Stretch [seemed] to have ceased (have been getting 10mins 730nm at lights out)

7-8 week strain (apparently - they're from seed)

I feed, water, feed, water cycle the girls in coco, water cycled the day before so medium wasn't too wet/dry. They were hit less aggressively but there's still less leaf for transpiration. DWC res seems stable, no pH drift nor EC flux.

Last two cents; one girl was a lot further ahead [edit: still day 14/15, same strain, prob diff pheno] and a battle to strip without bruising. I think if one is set on going this aggressively with the strip, there might be a lot of damage done to bud development by working on them, if hitting them too far along.

Otherwise not much to report on. Will post bounce back or failure. Can't post side-by-side, which would obviously be more valuable.

I watched GML's video with the leaf stripping. Couldn't believe my eyes. Glad to see someone giving it a go on this forum

Here's the vid

Ya the bundle of sticks is pretty shocking. After making this thread I had to rewatch that a few times while listening to Eye of the Tiger just so I don't cry myself to sleep. :-meditate

Hahahaha a bit worried you got carried away there lol!! 

Looks spot on to me, only difference been he does it to freaken warehouse size rooms of plants that end up looking like green heaven in a few weeks time :-flyinghi

I foresee a possible  trend starting after this thread is complete ;)

I just watched that video and this is my personal view on it .

2 key things stood out at me , in one sentence he says "I don't care if they stunted as they big enough already" and in another he says " I leaf strip so that they all drink at the same rate and They all can be watered at the same time"

To me this sounds like he is basicly stopping all vertical growth and resetting all the plants to the same drinking level.  He has a point to the drinking as it's a pain when you have a lot of plants on different drinking cycles and his plants are way to big for the style he is growing since he us actually only using a 3rd at most of the plant for flowers .

Personally I would never in a million years do this to my plants , I am all for defoliation but not to that extreme. I have stunted plants by removing to many leaves to soon . I the end your plant will recover and look healthy I am sure , cannabis is a tough plant, but with no side my side comparison done with clones from the same mom in the same area you will never know if it works or not.

In the end of the day home growers can take a lot from the pros who grow hundreds of plants at a time but he has a specific reason why he does it and that is to stop vertical growth ( basicly ending stretch at day 14 , a week early ) and to even out there drinking patern.i would be interested to find out  what your reason behind doing it was ?

Anyway brainfart over  , just my 2 cents and I really do hope it works out well for you

Ps I an a fan of defoliation at day 1 and 21 , this isn't from a video either it's from testing and seeing what works for me

2 key things stood out at me , in one sentence he says "I don't care if they stunted as they big enough already" and in another he says " I leaf strip so that they all drink at the same rate and They all can be watered at the same time"

To me this sounds like he is bacily stopping all vertical growth and resetting all the plants to the same drinking level.  He has a point to the drinking as it's a pain when you have a lot of plants on different drinking cycles and his plants are way to big for the style he is growing since he us actually only using a 3rd at most of the plant for flowers .

Personally I would never in a million years do this to my plants , I am all for defoliation but not to that extreme. I have stunted plants by removing to many leaves to soon . I the end your plant will recover and look healthy I am sure , cannabis is a tough plant, but with no side my side comparison done with clones from the same mom in the same area you will never know if it works or not.

In the end of the day home growers can take a lot from the pros who grow hundreds of plants at a time but he has a specific reason why he does it and that is to stop vertical growth ( basicly ending stretch at day 14 , a week early ) and to even out there drinking patern. What was ypur reason behind it

Anyway brainfart over  , just my 2 cents and I really do hope it works out well for you

Ps I an a fan of defoliation at day 1 and 21 , this isn't from a video either it's from testing and seeing what works for me

Awe Reaf! What you're saying makes perfect sense. Hopefully it all works out for us. I left 2 of my 10 plants with most of the leaves on. In the same environment. So lets see! Maybe this is all bullshit, maybe it's not. Only time will tell.

BTW, I see bongalong's using alot of your pics on their insta. Y'all brasse?

To me this sounds like he is basicly stopping all vertical growth and resetting all the plants to the same drinking level.  He has a point to the drinking as it's a pain when you have a lot of plants on different drinking cycles and his plants are way to big for the style he is growing since he us actually only using a 3rd at most of the plant for flowers .

In the end of the day home growers can take a lot from the pros who grow hundreds of plants at a time but he has a specific reason why he does it and that is to stop vertical growth ( basicly ending stretch at day 14 , a week early ) and to even out there drinking patern.i would be interested to find out  what your reason behind doing it was ?

Anyway brainfart over  , just my 2 cents and I really do hope it works out well for you

Thanks for the pro input :-gthumb

I do not think this is why he strips this early. He hasn't mentioned vertical growth, nor evening out watering in live shows, and the strip is addressed frequently. I may be wrong, for sure, but I believe with regard to watering, he was talking about the room being uneven due to it taking a long time to strip. He has mentioned that often. One side of the room will be drinking more until they're stripped. Stretch will/may be stunted for sure but I do *think* in this vid he was merely referring to that crop and not as a motivation for stripping.

What I have gleaned is he used to strip at 21 like most others and gradually dialed it back further and further. As to an exact reason he does it this early, I cannot specify. The shows and vids are often a bit of scattered thoughts. The points I have taken away from it which apply to any defoliation in any case:

He double nets so aggressive strip for good penetration

He waits a couple days and then puts the netting on 

- - minimizing damage while stripping and netting by getting it done earlier

Other than that he merely says he gets results this way and the only real caveat being it's better not to strip if you're not filling out the space.

As to my motivations, merely watching a lot of his show and seeing how others on the panel who try it, react to their results. My canopy was very dense and penetration was poor, I have been itching to open it up since last day of veg when last mildly stripped. 

Completely agreed, and did state a few times, that without side-by-side no real data is gained.

When GML is doing his walk through, you will hear him say, not often bit enough that he makes a point, especially when plants are just about to start flush.. 

He'll scope across the room and always points out the amount of light coming through and that you can actually see individual colas amongst the hundreds all as a result of the strip.

I personally have not put it into practice...yet. But love his techniques and ideas. GML topping I have put yo use and works very well!

I've pulled my stool up rolled a stack of jays and looking forward to enjoying  this thread!

:-rollitup

Jland[/member] Ya his topping tech is the tits. Nice even canopy!

Having semi-mainlined this girl, and then used his topping tech to even out canopy, has created a bit of a challenge with branching for me. Perhaps more strain/pheno  dependent, not sure, but something to watch for. I could've/should've done more lollipopping in veg, even quite high up, or perhaps avoided the topping tech altogether given the mainlining.

A few quick snapped regrowth pics:

18hrs, 24hrs, 32hrs, 2.25days respectively. Missed one pic op. so there's double the regen time between the last two. I'm sure there was a way to upload images inline in the post, but can't suss it out. Not much to report, regrowth is rapid, will prob update at 1 week point with a few more pics and then closer to harvest, unless anything interesting or unusual crops up.

EDIT: meh the pics have uploaded in an arbitrary order, the file names will show time. Sorry about that.

IMG_5038_-_Copy.thumb.JPG.8f494e49d01bdc80bf5695f8e16520ea.JPG

IMG_5045_-_Copy.thumb.JPG.d163a5bc5531db2d50c52ca00ad4d31f.JPG

IMG_5042_-_Copy.thumb.JPG.4f9164779dc8e8002877bfced2e1cd2e.JPG

IMG_5052_-_Copy.thumb.JPG.48e8d0c533a82ab224102a8f964a2eee.JPG