Loadshedding

Apoche Alypse

5 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

He physically inhales the air from inside the tent, runs outside and exhales. Repeat until power comes back on. 

It goes a bit that way 😉 I open the 2.4x2.4 on both sides, take a plastic sheet and wave the moist air out till i get bored or my arm falls off. Is all about commitment hehehehe

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

The room is rather dark itself.. somebody rebuild a double garage into a granny flat but was rather shy on windows ^^ Also.. a short light period will not stress plants.. or every heavy lightning storms would disturb them and full moon push em into flower. You have to fear any direct light beams hitting your plants... a dim light no to much. Wanna go safe.. use green light ^^ plants use very little of that wave length.

I noticed that as long there is no sun light leak.. direct sun beams passing a tent hole and hitting parts of a plant.. i have no switcheroo issues. Also should say, I only vent the flower tent by hand and let the veg tent go crazy with humidity.. just spray it with copper soap all 2 weeks, the high humidity even helps the veg tent ^^ the DS grows like nuts. Veg tent is more my Switcheroo issue.. have all light backup in that tent. Cheap LED backup doesn't help the flower tent overly much.. to weak to grow and to much dark just hurts potency. So all power goes veg tent and mother tent. My mothers give me the most stress...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Prom said:

plants use very little of that wave length.

heard that was bro science and that green spectrum actually penetrates the canopy best.

33 minutes ago, Prom said:

Also.. a short light period will not stress plants.. or every heavy lightning storms would disturb them and full moon push em into flower.

true yes or far away street lamps would stop outdoor growers

33 minutes ago, Prom said:

Cheap LED backup doesn't help the flower tent overly much

👍

35 minutes ago, Prom said:

My mothers give me the most stress...

yes with this loadshedding mfs😠

• Like 2

Hey guys I'm new here i have grown a few plants outdoors but am considering growing indoors.Before I set off on this new journey I would just like to know how loadshedding affects the indoor grow (Light timers, fans etc) thanks in advance and any tips and help is welcome

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SHiNi said:

Hey guys I'm new here i have grown a few plants outdoors but am considering growing indoors.Before I set off on this new journey I would just like to know how loadshedding affects the indoor grow (Light timers, fans etc) thanks in advance and any tips and help is welcome

I've moved your question here. Feel free to first read the thread then reply below. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SHiNi said:

Before I set off on this new journey I would just like to know how loadshedding affects the indoor grow (Light timers, fans etc) thanks in advance and any tips and help is welcome

current only doing germination moms and clones indoor

flower plants outdoor

started growing indoor this year so plants are still young but they are still growing vigorously under 500w op hps

if you want to flower indoor, you only need to make sure you keep lights off 12 hours continuous during the lights on 12hours, there will be some load shedding so ultimately yield will suffer, or at least hope only yield will suffer, bunch of other things to consider during lights off, humidity being the main one imo, this is possible with a backup solution which i don't have currently so cant give much advice on that

• Like 2

On 1/19/2023 at 10:32 AM, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

current only doing germination moms and clones indoor

flower plants outdoor

started growing indoor this year so plants are still young but they are still growing vigorously under 500w op hps

if you want to flower indoor, you only need to make sure you keep lights off 12 hours continuous during the lights on 12hours, there will be some load shedding so ultimately yield will suffer, or at least hope only yield will suffer, bunch of other things to consider during lights off, humidity being the main one imo, this is possible with a backup solution which i don't have currently so cant give much advice on that

Thanks bud appreciate the input I think I'll continue outdoors till eskom sort themselves out 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SHiNi said:

Thanks bud appreciate the input I think I'll continue outdoors till eskom sort themselves out 

yeah i feel that, hope i didn't discourage you tried to give plusses for half indoor grow like i do.. outdoor is how south african do it tho best of luck on the grow. maybe do a thread on here for us to follow along. only thing about outdoor is that you risk losing harvest to theft

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

yeah i feel that, hope i didn't discourage you tried to give plusses for half indoor grow like i do.. outdoor is how south african do it tho best of luck on the grow. maybe do a thread on here for us to follow along. only thing about outdoor is that you risk losing harvest to theft

Lol you didn't discourage me just the thought of mould due to no air circulation is a big no for me. All that effort just to throw it all away due to Eskom big nope. I'll definitely do a grow thread here to follow on my next grow coz I will need help with nutes (organic guy here) 😁

• Like 1
  • Fire! 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:11 PM, SHiNi said:

To grow uninterrupted with all the load shedding you going to need a half decent 2.4kva Inverter with Lithium Ion Batteries (about R20k in total) - This will hold a 600w grow light and some fans for 2 hours, if you dim your lights down, you will make 4 hours. It's worth the investment.

I've just replaced my 4 lead acid batteries with 4 lithium ion batteries and the different is chalk and cheese. I been running 1300w on it and even after 2 hours of load shedding, the battery indicator hasnt dropped.
Tonight will be the first test on a 4 hour load shed.

Edited by DesignatedDave
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DesignatedDave said:

with Lithium Ion Batteries

preferably but, 200ah deep cycles still make sense to buy for a start

the issue is they musnt drop below 50 percent so running something like 2 200's go along way from my experience in telecommunications

did you run 105's?

Edited by GreenGalaxyFarm
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

preferably but, 200ah deep cycles still make sense to buy for a start

the issue is they musnt drop below 50 percent so running something like 2 200's go along way from my experience in telecommunications

did you run 105's?

I had 4x 12v 105AH batteries connected in series and parallel to make 24v and 210AH.

200AH deep cycle batteries are not worth it, they only have like 300 cycles at 50% deep cycle. So if you do the maths, 3 x load shedding intervals a day = 3x a day your batteries are going to cycle to 50%. Within 100 days you will have hit the 300 cycles. After 365 days of load shedding 3 times a day, your batteries will be screwed and you wont get 20min out of them. At this point you will need to replace the batteries again.
With these Batteries being about R2000, you will spend R4000 every time you replace them... It costs R9000 for a 12v 105AH Lithium Ion battery that will last you 6 years at least.

So buying new batteries every year is going to work out a shitton more expensive than lithium ion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DesignatedDave said:

200AH deep cycle batteries are not worth it, they only have like 300 cycles at 50% deep cycle

if been checking into this, its closer to 750 cycles at 50%, depending on rate of recharge and heat around the battery.

seeing as the rate of recharge is set to rapid charge for most people as ls hits more than once a day i fully agree now that deep cycles are not worth it in the case of a grow room environment

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/26/2023 at 2:12 PM, Totemic said:

Consider running autos on a 24h cycle. Let loadshedding be your lights off time. Tent can stand open 24/7....

I have no experience with Autos and from what I have read on the forums they more difficult to grow then photoperiod plants

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/26/2023 at 2:09 PM, SHiNi said:

Lol you didn't discourage me just the thought of mould due to no air circulation is a big no for me. All that effort just to throw it all away due to Eskom big nope. I'll definitely do a grow thread here to follow on my next grow coz I will need help with nutes (organic guy here)

also a little 12l dehu to run isnt gonna take too much in the way of battery backup. im personally in planning stage of providing energy to my grow for the 2 40w fans and 200w dehu to run for atleast the 2 or 4 hours with enough capacity to recovery to full at slow charge

dont let them win work around it, outdoor is also with its issues, thinking this heat wave weve been having, pests, wind stormrain lots can go wrong

you will find good info on nutes on my thread regarding it currently being discussed im using it as a platform to learn and share as well a organic guy 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SHiNi said:

I have no experience with Autos and from what I have read on the forums they more difficult to grow then photoperiod plants

Autos are not that difficult to grow....its just any serious mistakes you make early will deminish yield and mistakes later will effect potency. I made  1 big mistake with my first auto grow and had ph lockout mid/late flower and couldn't get the ph to recover and still came out okish.

I did exactly what Totemic suggests...everything stays on and they only sleep when loadshedding. I leave the tent open when I'm not home so humidity doesn't build up.

The only potentially self inflicted issues I see a novice like myself can make is messing up is the soil you plant in, fertilizers and or ph issues. If you know the basics you will do ok. Treat your first seed or two as school fees lol...im doing this with my gifted k@k genetics auto seeds.... My Zkittlez would have turned out much better if I did this.

Stay away from Bulkseeds autos

• Like 2