Hi everyone

I am new to this site/forum

I am by no means a stranger to Cannabis and all its benefits, and limitless potential. I have been a massage therapist specializing in Cannabis oil massages for 16 years now,

but am looking to diversify my career, as in a total change!

I am here to learn as much as possible about Cannabis and to acquire as much information as I can concerning growing and the industry itself.

i am currently studying a variety of topics through various courses to upgrade my knowledge.

If anyone has any tips about how to find gainful employment in the growing sector, i would like to start at entry level as a trimmer ( I have an odd passion for trimming)

My resume is here on google drive

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WKlSUEg_oA80AQCln4Ty-WmPRgi60VNX/edit?usp=share_link&ouid=105255908223658166502&rtpof=true&sd=true 

I would greatly appreciate any relevant feedback!

Have yourselves a fabulous day!

• Like 1

Hi there!

What topics exactly are you studying with regards to cannabis? Have you ever taken a look at Cheeba academy? If you wanted an education in cannabis in South Africa that you could get a legitimate certification backed by a tertiary university, I'd look into Cheeba. 

Otherwise the fastest way into the industry would probably be to start growing yourself and learn the process of creating cannabis right from the beginning. Being able to produce, even just a little bit, of high quality cannabis would put you ahead of many people who have just simply studied the topic. A small 1 square meter setup is all you'd need. You might even be able to get everything in the classifieds section. 

Then when it comes to gainful employment you would need to get to know people in the industry face-to-face. The best places to meet people would be the two Cannabis Expos that happen in Jozi and CPT now on a yearly basis. You could also attend an open day at an academy such as Cheeba. Then you can also visit your local cannabis club, become a member and meet other members. If you are unsure of where to find a club, find your nearest Grow One Africa affiliated club. They are a safe bet and you can ask about other clubs that might be competing in the area and check those out too. 

I would also lastly recommend that during this process you keep your guard up and don't fall for any nonsense. There are many, many people from very different industries looking for ways into the cannabis industry like yourself and it is a highly unregulated and new industry. There will sure to be a few snakes on the path, some bigger than others. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

Hi there!

What topics exactly are you studying with regards to cannabis? Have you ever taken a look at Cheeba academy? If you wanted an education in cannabis in South Africa that you could get a legitimate certification backed by a tertiary university, I'd look into Cheeba. 

Otherwise the fastest way into the industry would probably be to start growing yourself and learn the process of creating cannabis right from the beginning. Being able to produce, even just a little bit, of high quality cannabis would put you ahead of many people who have just simply studied the topic. A small 1 square meter setup is all you'd need. You might even be able to get everything in the classifieds section. 

Then when it comes to gainful employment you would need to get to know people in the industry face-to-face. The best places to meet people would be the two Cannabis Expos that happen in Jozi and CPT now on a yearly basis. You could also attend an open day at an academy such as Cheeba. Then you can also visit your local cannabis club, become a member and meet other members. If you are unsure of where to find a club, find your nearest Grow One Africa affiliated club. They are a safe bet and you can ask about other clubs that might be competing in the area and check those out too. 

I would also lastly recommend that during this process you keep your guard up and don't fall for any nonsense. There are many, many people from very different industries looking for ways into the cannabis industry like yourself and it is a highly unregulated and new industry. There will sure to be a few snakes on the path, some bigger than others. 

Hi Evan

I am currently doing the courses on  https://growersnetwork.org/university/

I have looked at Cheeba as well as Thecannabisinstitute.co.za courses, Cheeba only starts their next round of courses next Feb, so will continue doing the ones I am doing, and then move onto the Cannabis institute ones as they are mostly on line.

Hon, I have grown and harvested before. I want a job in the industry, somewhere that I can settle in for a while and learn from the ground up... Books and courses are all fair and well, but it is all theoretical, and I learn best hands on, immersed in the activities. I am 50, beyond tired of my current work/lifestyle, and am taking a leap of faith into the great unknown, I am pivoting, and it is a huge change for me, but one that I am embracing.

I have met plenty of people in the industry, and what I have learned is that most people in this industry like to keep their cards very close, they do not share information very easily and despite the progress of Cannabis, it all remains very hush hush where information regarding employment is concerned.

Thank you for your feedback,

it is genuinely appreciated!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CannaLush said:

Hi Evan

I am currently doing the courses on  https://growersnetwork.org/university/

I have looked at Cheeba as well as Thecannabisinstitute.co.za courses, Cheeba only starts their next round of courses next Feb, so will continue doing the ones I am doing, and then move onto the Cannabis institute ones as they are mostly on line.

Hon, I have grown and harvested before. I want a job in the industry, somewhere that I can settle in for a while and learn from the ground up... Books and courses are all fair and well, but it is all theoretical, and I learn best hands on, immersed in the activities. I am 50, beyond tired of my current work/lifestyle, and am taking a leap of faith into the great unknown, I am pivoting, and it is a huge change for me, but one that I am embracing.

I have met plenty of people in the industry, and what I have learned is that most people in this industry like to keep their cards very close, they do not share information very easily and despite the progress of Cannabis, it all remains very hush hush where information regarding employment is concerned.

Thank you for your feedback,

it is genuinely appreciated!

Sounds like I should rather be asking you for a job! 😝

• Like 1

wouldn't you have more faith in your leap of faith if you understood the industry as a whole a little better? 

I mean if you tired of your position now at 50 it would be really sad to leap into something only to find out it's actually much harder work than you had to do before. 

the reason why you may think people keep their cards close, is because of this very reason. a love for the plant or saying you have grown it before doesn't impress anyone. we all love the plant and we're all active growers, but we can't even demand such positions. everyone loves the plant, everyone has grown it before. the people keeping their cards close are the ones who get exposed to this the most. they hire someone who "loves the plant" and "have grown it before" but then when it comes to being bent over for 8hrs a day constantly busy with physically demanding work that needs to be done in a timely and orderly fashion, then the "love for the plant" and the "having grown it before" quickly fades into a harsh realisation of reality. work is work. doesn't matter what you do. 

most people have a misconception of the cannabis industry aswell, you don't get to sit and admire weed all day and look, touch and spend time on what you think is fun and cool. 

most likely, as with any other labour intensive position, you'll be faced with a work load you presume is too much for you to handle, so you have to figure out the best way to get things done, figure out a routine without hindering quality. you'll have numbers to work towards, you'll have goals to reach set by the boss and and and all that jazz, work is work. 

I am 28, my age, background, experience and current position all count in my favour, yet I cannot demand a position in the industry, because people aren't employing any random person right now. 

it's like in the arts industry. you have to be known, people have to be talking about you, people have to be asking for you to work for them, seeking you out. you have to make a name for yourself, network, get your face known by the people at the top. untill then, you have to do all the work yourself. make friends, master a few "paintings" to get people talking... you know?

• Like 2

We are still deep in the pioneering phase of this industry, not just locally but globally really. 

As someone who is part of the local industry, Ive had to forge my own path over the years, having to navigate through the mire of the last few years of prohibition, then decriminalization, which from an industry standpoint nothing has changed, and infact prohibition on industry is still in place. There is zero motivation, commitment or support from our government to legitimize the industry. They cant even finalize personal decriminalization...

So while our grey/black market industy forges on, why dont you start your own thing? Expose yourself to the things you want to do. Create it in your home. 

• Like 2

The real job market will pop up once legalization has passed. Till then I would focus on reading up on the topic you have interest in. I haven't read a book in ages.. today I get all my knowledge from the internet and self acquired experience from growing indoors.

• Like 2