Neem Oil application

Darclinc

Hi,

I'm a novice grower and I've started another thread about growing some outdoor autos, here.

After doing some reasearch I've decided to use this particular Bioneem as my pesticide of choice, but want to know a) is it a good all round choice for me b) how to apply it correctly.

Can you start to apply it from day one or is it advisable to wait until the plants are a bit older?

Also, how often do you apply it and in what quantities?

Any advice or alternative recommendations welcome!

Thanks,

D

Edited by Darclinc

Aweh @Darclinc

Neem is effective, many growers on this forum use it with success, although it can't be used during flower. 

We've been growing outdoors for a while and I'd suggest not relying on only one. Insecticides organic or not, are more effective on certain bugs than others.  Aphids and whitefly are probably the most common, but there are some next level buggers like spidermite and broad/russetmite that require stronger kung-fu. Be aware that repeated (3× apps as per interwebs) use of the same insecticide on the same pest may breed resistance and could create an even bigger problem. Mites are notorious for being tough and building resistantance.

My list for example.

1.Insecticides sprays

Neudosan

Diy Soap/Oil emulsion (with citronella) 

Diy Habanero/onion/garlic

Diy Tomato leaf alkaloid spray

2.Worm sprays

Margaret Roberts

3. Fungicide sprays

Biogrow coppersoap

Potassium Bicarbonate

50/50 milk/water

You'll have to adapt your approach depending on your area and weather conditions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

without a doubt that is the best advice to give a new grower, don't overlook this!

biggest mistake people make as new gardeners is thinking there will be only one product to do it all. if that was the case we would all be raving about this one product and when we have it we're successful gardeners and it's easy like that. if the world was made of cadbury. 

gardening is one of those crafts where you literally never stop learning no matter who you are you never stop changing and adapting to overcome different things. even the most clued up guys with years and years and years of growing behind them are all still constantly researching different and better ways to do these things and how to keep up with current changes and what not. that's why they stay in the game so long. change, adapt, overcome. 

avoid looking for and choosing one thing to carry you through it all, rather get the right mindset from the start and tell yourself you'll do research or run over to the forum here and ask for advice whenever a new situation presents itself. 

like they say, I can talk till I am blue in the face, that doesn't mean you'll be drifting around tight corners on day one. at least not without getting a few fender benders. so be prepared. 😉

• Agree 1

On 6/4/2022 at 7:19 AM, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

avoid looking for and choosing one thing to carry you through it all, rather get the right mindset from the start and tell yourself you'll do research or run over to the forum here and ask for advice whenever a new situation presents itself. 

Thanks, and agreed 100%.

I guess what I'm trying to do, at first at least, is not to buy every product on the market but take a broad based proactive approach and see where that gets me. Neem seems to be as close to a 'one size fits all' product as I've been able to find, so it seems like a logical starting point. I'm sure there will be many instances where it won't work, and I'll cross those bridges when I get to them (hopefully not).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those using bioneem or neem oil, what is your take on the controversy of Neem Oil being linked to Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS) ? 

I'm a bit undecided on it, I think I constitute being a "heavy" cannabis user (I go through about 5 duk joints a day and way more on weekends), I've never encountered CHS.

52 minutes ago, DesignatedDave said:

For those using bioneem or neem oil, what is your take on the controversy of Neem Oil being linked to Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS) ? 

I'm a bit undecided on it, I think I constitute being a "heavy" cannabis user (I go through about 5 duk joints a day and way more on weekends), I've never encountered CHS.

Sounds like the greenies, however neem oil should never be spayed on buds, not because it’s harmful to you, which I don’t know for sure, but harmful to the growth of the bud lol

There are quite a few voices out there.. some say is depending on genetics.. or how much you smoke for how long. It makes more sense to look direction pesticides in my point of view. I smoke for 36 years now.. the last 22 years daily if I wasn't sitting in an air plane ^^ 

I used neem oil once in the last 5 years.. and in general try to run a batch without anything in that direction. I never use any chemical mace beside Serenade (biological fungicide) during flower. If I get infected, I remove the plant and goes trash. 

I use copper soap rather regular during veg and spray before I flip. If you grow yourself, I think you are rather save from CHS.. but when you buy and the guys spray heavy to save their harvest.. depending what they use, it can build up inside your body and lead to side effects.

16 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

Sounds like the greenies, however neem oil should never be spayed on buds, not because it’s harmful to you, which I don’t know for sure, but harmful to the growth of the bud lol

The argument is that neem oil is absorbed into the plant when sprayed during veg and isn't just a top spray.

16 hours ago, Prom said:

There are quite a few voices out there.. some say is depending on genetics.. or how much you smoke for how long. It makes more sense to look direction pesticides in my point of view. I smoke for 36 years now.. the last 22 years daily if I wasn't sitting in an air plane ^^ 

I used neem oil once in the last 5 years.. and in general try to run a batch without anything in that direction. I never use any chemical mace beside Serenade (biological fungicide) during flower. If I get infected, I remove the plant and goes trash. 

I use copper soap rather regular during veg and spray before I flip. If you grow yourself, I think you are rather save from CHS.. but when you buy and the guys spray heavy to save their harvest.. depending what they use, it can build up inside your body and lead to side effects.

So the interesting thing with CHS is that there doesn't appear to be a consistency in it.

For example, there are real cases of people who get sick if they smoke bud which has been sprayed with neem oil, but don't get sick if they smoke other bud where neem wasn't used.

But there are also cases of people getting CHS from none-neem oil cannabis or even synthetic cannabinoids when there is over usage. Some say it's people just prone to CVS, but then why does hot baths or showers relieve it.

I'm finding it very interesting and in reality, I'm not sure why this bothers me, I've probably smoked kilograms of weed sprayed with neem over the years and suddenly now that I know about this, I'm like 🤨

Edited by DesignatedDave

5 hours ago, DesignatedDave said:

So the interesting thing with CHS is that there doesn't appear to be a consistency in it.

For example, there are real cases of people who get sick if they smoke bud which has been sprayed with neem oil, but don't get sick if they smoke other bud where neem wasn't used.

But there are also cases of people getting CHS from none-neem oil cannabis or even synthetic cannabinoids when there is over usage. Some say it's people just prone to CVS, but then why does hot baths or showers relieve it.

I'm finding it very interesting and in reality, I'm not sure why this bothers me, I've probably smoked kilograms of weed sprayed with neem over the years and suddenly now that I know about this, I'm like 🤨

If you are worried.. just grow without Neem.. is not essential in any way.