Autumn/Winter Grow 2020

420SA

High folks

Been a while since I've run a diary. My previous one had to be abruptly aborted around September last year due to a number of circumstances and due to the immense heat around here during the months of November, December and Jan I decided to take a break for a few months. 

I got things going again around mid January. I'm keeping it small and economical for now but will build up for a bigger grow in the winter.

Seeds Germinated:

• Humboldt Seeds Org. - Blue Dream
  • G13 Labs - Pineapple Express (Freebie) 
  • DNA Genetics - Lemon OG Kush (Freebie) - Seedling damped off while I was away and died
  • Dinafem - Purple Orange CBD - Germed late February

Equipment & Materials:

• 1.5m x 1.5m Grow Tent
  • Lighting - Makeshift chinese LED's for Veg(works fine!) and 400w HPS for Flower
  • 6 " Exhaust 
  • Passive Intake
  • Soil Used - My seedling/veg soil mix for seedlings and veg. My living soil mix for 1 week of veg and the rest of flower
  • Nutrients used to date - None
  • Other inputs - Explogrow and Sprouted Seed Tea. Compost teas and coconut water to be used in the upcoming weeks

Training:

• Topping
  • Supercropping
  • LST

25 February - Pineapple Express(Left),  Blue Dream(Right), Purple Orange CBD(Middle)

20200225_174915.thumb.jpg.f229e02771053dcd21e9774a6bcc9c5e.jpg

16 March - 18 days into flower - Pineapple Express(Left),  Blue Dream(Right)

The Purple Orange CBD will be joining them a little bit later

20200316_175536.thumb.jpg.6eaf61eaf700d25194a4cc6348cb23f2.jpg

Will keep the updates coming this time!

:-peace

• Like 5

Quick update - pics taken 21 March - Week 4 Day 2

The Blue Dream stretched a bit more than I would've liked. With a 400w bulb Ideally I'd want a flat low canopy but that's gone out the window now. Otherwise everything still on track

20200321_184124.thumb.jpg.e24c80e1f5f9778bf3b7fcec0ba3ba53.jpg

20200321_184138.thumb.jpg.f57c2efa58b22b3d82dea07be217fa78.jpg

• Like 3

Gals are looking fine @420SA ! You could use some stakes if u not keen on a scrog. 

I'm becoming a big fan of staking, just a issue to find stakes that are not wood, metal or anything that won't mess with the ph.

Check out WizardNPK, if you don't already know him, im just copying his style for managing canopies. :-greenthumb

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sup folks

Sorry for the delay.

@Ill_Evan @Dank  I ultimately settled for a late installation of a scrog net. I've usually stayed away from scrog due to accessibility. If I had more than 4 plants right now it would be an issue as my tent is only accessible from 2 sides. For the future I'm gonna have to look at watering the plants by means of a pump, blumat or some sort of gravity feed as ultimately I want to be growing 4 plants in the tent.

@Dank I have usually been using stakes toward the latter part of the grow but as you say its tough to find plastic stakes.

Just before lockdown I went and bought some pvc tubing, joints and plant tying wire

20200328_113052(0).thumb.jpg.1dd2dac0f6b6d29e0d90a19aaa235c64.jpg

20200328_205011.thumb.jpg.8c19ea0d2d004a35d97f0fb1ec9a4727.jpg

Plants at 5 weeks through flower, below. Taken on the 4th of April.  This isn't a textbook scrog of course but rather a way of just providing the lateral support needed later on. It was at this point that I realised the Blue Dream on the right was blooming very slowly and continued to stretch, plus it started to develop that classic sign of revegging. Something I carelessly overlooked was the passive airvent on the tent to the bottom right of the Blue Dream. My tent is in my garage and periodically the garage light is on during the day, plus there is an element of natural light that gets into the garage as well. After realising this I checked inside the tent and this light was indeed getting cast over the bottom portion of the blue dream. This must have been the reason for it's strange behaviour. As I say, a very careless amateur mistake. It's never happened to be before so sometimes you need a kick in the ass to be anal about it. Unfortunately for the plant things have just been getting worse as you'll see in the forthcoming pics

20200402_184049.thumb.jpg.92c2a6579b94921db041458812f679ad.jpg

20200402_184057.thumb.jpg.39130a668813634a8d04f5e5a6f28d41.jpg

Day 4 of week 7. Taken on 13 April. The Blue Dream's downward spiral ever present in this pic. Monumental clawing. She looks more stressed by the day and I have very little hope for her. She'll most likely just be used for extract if she produces anything of worth. The pineapple express freebie on the other hand hasn't put a foot wrong. We'll see how she goes

20200413_182908.thumb.jpg.fc790780216d303ef26f125bdec93306.jpg

Pineapple Express

20200413_182451.thumb.jpg.8c7326ea1a476d00e6213c765bf6e6eb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Dank said:

Looking good there Captn! :-greenthumb

I heard the BlueDream likes a lot lower levels of nutrients than most strains.

The first thought was indeed N toxicity but this didn't happen in the beginning when the plant was in the soil for the first 4 weeks or so... and with me not feeding  it confuses things a bit more. Unless there was a random release of N in the soil that could've caused it. I did have to use the soil prematurely so perhaps there is an element of N toxicity to this. I'm not 100% certain the plant's issues are related to light leak as well. The light in the garage is one fluorescent tube light. The moon could probably out muscle it 

It's also not overwatering. Been watering every 4-5 days

Thank fok at least one of them is doing fine though as my personal supply is getting low :-hairpull got clones though so will see how things go the next time round. I also really need to invest in some good genetics now.

This lockdown is also causing problems for my future grows as I need vermicompost to mix more soil.... still counting my blessings though

• Like 1

Sometimes even a organic mix can be packing a lot of N, how and when the microbes release it i dont always get, this has happened to me a few times over the years with adding homemade wormcastings. When I started out making wormcastings I added way too much green and not enough browns, now I know that is how to make a supercharged N casting. 

The BlueDream is a Blueberry x Haze, both of which can be finicky strains to grow, don't give up on her! Perhaps a basic compost tea for her can help bring those N fixing bacteria's into check, you can also try a more fungal tea, watering with ph below 6.5 will help the fungis thrive a bit more in the soil. :-thumbsup

I can always send you some of my new testers after lockdown, perhaps even a cutting if you want! :-rolled

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2020 at 7:27 AM, SmokeyZero said:

How did this grow end up? You managed to get a decent smoke?

Shortly after my last update I decided to bin the blue dream as it just continued stretching and produced little to no trichomes. Take a look at these pics below, she had no hope. This was at 6 or 7 weeks through flower and she was still stretching. I have 2 of her clones in flower now and they are showing similar signs just not as bad. Will show you further down in the post. She's a dud pheno

20200421_185538.thumb.jpg.6e2ac269e2ab8b51f69fd88c89070cb1.jpg20200421_185532.thumb.jpg.053674f421549d08be474533ea046bb8.jpg

Fortunately the Pineapple Express (left in pic below) went alright and I managed to get a decent yield out of her. She was chopped at 11 weeks through flower. On the right are the 2 blue dream clones

20200519_184614.thumb.jpg.015c7a5b774a2021aac5277ac63d9a81.jpg

20200519_184633.thumb.jpg.31c558bf2748659ec9ded0fe5dcf29e4.jpg20200519_184627.thumb.jpg.55de9b1dafae8db303cd2b7a1f72b467.jpg

Fast forward to now...

These clones are all in my soil mix which has been recycled.

Again the blue dream clones will not stop stretching and they are nearly at 6 weeks through flower. The Pineapple express clone in the pot closest is growing better than her mother in the previous round and is putting out a nice aroma and decent trichome production. The blue dreams, again, are putting out almost no resin and I see myself possibly having to bin these 2 as well... which really is gutting

20200609_132554.thumb.jpg.b3c73a6e6faea52a7968143604126951.jpg

Pineapple Express Clone Week 5 Day 3

20200609_132645.thumb.jpg.3385fb784a7118f4c1e4224ec3929dd9.jpg

Blue Dream Clone - Week 6 Day 4 - She isn't clawing like her mother did but it almost looks like she wants to. Her flower development is poor and continues to stretch at week 6...

20200609_132653.thumb.jpg.4eee253bd24f6d898709d0146075e370.jpg

So in conclusion I'm sitting with shitty genetics that I'm growing here. I have a whole bunch of hobbies that have been stealing my funds so I'm not able to buy good genetics right now, just can't afford it.

I have a whole bunch of seeds from @Totemic that I'm aching to grow but regulars don't suit my current situation as I don't have a space to veg out the seeds till they are able to show sex. I will more than likely make a plan regarding that though soon as I'm long overdue for a Totemic tester run. 

I apologise for the lack of updates guys but there really isn't much excitement to this grow so the enthusiasm for me to update hasn't been there. Will give another update a few weeks down the line.

:-peace

• Like 2

Ah bleakness cap!! 

Im sure you have the support of the okes here and nearby to you... I'm sure there are okes with fire clones you could tend to😁 and as for the blue dreams... 

I would let her finish... I had a plant last run that I thought was gonna be so shit and unsmokable....and it came through in the last few weeks... I think all they way to week 9 I was in the edge and wanted her to come out... Curled leaves and all haha.. Let them live and see what happens 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Eish sorry to hear about that BlueDream Captn, if there are no cuttings available by you, I would like to offer you something from my stable.

Me and @1000Hills Nursery been discussing sending rooted cuttings around, will send him some cuts in July, if the lockdown doesnt gooi n curveball.

Getting some of our cuts out to forum members, could start to establish some 420SA forum cuts.

Seems natural to send some of the first to our commander n chief :-rolled

Edited by Dank
  • Like 2

ahoi brother, sorry to hear about that blue dream. Yea it really sucks when all looks good before flowering starts and then it just does not add up. That blue dream looked mighty fine before flowering but looks very airy at 6 weeks. So it could only be weak genetics causing this? Have run the blue dream outdoors?

I dumped my soil from my previous indoor grow into some tyres in the garden and just for fun dropped an Auto Northen Lights in there, and wow covered in thricomes and smell of lavernder, might just be the pheno but best out of all 5 in the pack.

Do you always re use your soil?

I have since started to re-use my soil and have my next run mixed with new and used soil.

• Like 1