Boveda packs

SAgrower

I am busy curing my first THC plant with boveda packs in the jars. The one jar has 15g of really dry bud inside but the humidity is not increasing to 62%.

The jar in question is one of those small Douw Egbert coffee jars as I need to get some consol jars. Why is the humidity not increasing to 62%? Is there something else I should do besides take it out of the clear wrapping paper? The humidity currently inside the jar is at 55%.

The bud was trimmed yesterday afternoon with the boveda pack inserted at the same time.

• Like 1

Those bags only work with vacuum jars. The main word is vacuum here 😂

Second, balancing moisture is a time consuming act... if you put in a very very dry bud, that will take some time.. easy 2 weeks, to get it to curing level. If your jar is sealed.. just wait.. and next time, try to hit the sweet spot a bit better 😁

The bags say, that they do both "swings". To wet they will reduce moisture and to dry they will add. Never ever use those bags on to wet weed!!! Dry it the normal way and add a bag when you are to dry, using a bag to lower the moisture brings very high risks of mold, because just takes way to long.

When your bag is crystallized, hard to the touch, you have for sure a leaking jar.. or the bag was to small for the amount weed you put in to re moist. In any case.. that bag is a goner. But as they "swing" both ways, you can re moist used bags again, as long as they are soft, you get moisture back in. Store unused bag in a jar you are VERY sure it seals.. or you lose your bags for next harvest.

If you are to wet, use silicon bags.. and if they are used, in the oven for 30 mins at 70C and they are ready for duty again 😊

1888477723_moisturecon.jpg.9e1ade762427ecd91c2faddd736efc54.jpg

• Like 1

Those bags only work with vacuum jars. The main word is vacuum here
Second, balancing moisture is a time consuming act... if you put in a very very dry bud, that will take some time.. easy 2 weeks, to get it to curing level. If your jar is sealed.. just wait.. and next time, try to hit the sweet spot a bit better 

The bags say, that they do both "swings". To wet they will reduce moisture and to dry they will add. Never ever use those bags on to wet weed!!! Dry it the normal way and add a bag when you are to dry, using a bag to lower the moisture brings very high risks of mold, because just takes way to long.

When your bag is crystallized, hard to the touch, you have for sure a leaking jar.. or the bag was to small for the amount weed you put in to re moist. In any case.. that bag is a goner. But as they "swing" both ways, you can re moist used bags again, as long as they are soft, you get moisture back in. Store unused bag in a jar you are VERY sure it seals.. or you lose your bags for next harvest.
If you are to wet, use silicon bags.. and if they are used, in the oven for 30 mins at 70C and they are ready for duty again 
1888477723_moisturecon.jpg.9e1ade762427ecd91c2faddd736efc54.jpg
You need to get a propper bottle that can seal. Old peanut butter jar will do.
Then the jar might not be sealing like Skunk said.
Thanks for the advice. I thought those jars with the rubber bottom will seal properly. Will get some consol jars soon.

Lastly, do I need to burp when using boveda packs as it will obviously lower the humidity when opening the jar.

Thanks again for the help.

When you reach 62%, you have the perfect moisture level for curing. I remove the bag(s) at that stage and put the batch in the final storing container (very sure the container is washed/disinfected and the seal is cleaned).

No, no "burping" needed once you reach the sweet spot. After that you just have to give it at least 2 weeks to cure and you are ready to smoke. If the jar does it's job, the weed will stay at that moisture level. So when you take a bud out, let it breath for 15-30 mins, before you smoke it. 

• Like 1

When you reach 62%, you have the perfect moisture level for curing. I remove the bag(s) at that stage and put the batch in the final storing container (very sure the container is washed/disinfected and the seal is cleaned).
No, no "burping" needed once you reach the sweet spot. After that you just have to give it at least 2 weeks to cure and you are ready to smoke. If the jar does it's job, the weed will stay at that moisture level. So when you take a bud out, let it breath for 15-30 mins, before you smoke it. 
Thanks. Obviously tried some last night, kicked like a steam train.

3 hours ago, SAgrower said:

Thanks for the advice. I thought those jars with the rubber bottom will seal properly. Will get some consol jars soon.

Lastly, do I need to burp when using boveda packs as it will obviously lower the humidity when opening the jar.

Thanks again for the help.

I like the douwe egberts jars... They seal very well in my opinion.... Iv never had an issue with getting above 70% the first few days in between burps and then getting it to stabilize at 56% with real ease. I like the big 150g coffee ones the most... Just takes me fuck long to finish the coffee😂

• Like 2

I see nobody has asked why I stabilize at 56 and not 62.

In my opinion 62 is just a touch too wet... I decant from my large jars into smaller jars for daily smoking, so I don't open the large jar as often teehee. 

But if my weed is at 62% it takes loooong for the weed to get dryer the way I like it. Where at 56 it takes about half a day before it's just right for me. 

Easier to roll joints, pack a pipe, load a bong... And most importantly easier to crush with more even weed bits. 

My terps are potent as ever after a crush. 

But maybe I am missing something that makes okes like 62% more

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CreX said:

I see nobody has asked why I stabilize at 56 and not 62.

In my opinion 62 is just a touch too wet... I decant from my large jars into smaller jars for daily smoking, so I don't open the large jar as often teehee. 

But if my weed is at 62% it takes loooong for the weed to get dryer the way I like it. Where at 56 it takes about half a day before it's just right for me. 

Easier to roll joints, pack a pipe, load a bong... And most importantly easier to crush with more even weed bits. 

My terps are potent as ever after a crush. 

But maybe I am missing something that makes okes like 62% more

From what I heard (dudes in the states) 50 is for more humid areas like down by the coast, and the 60's are for peeps staying in like Arizona or the Karoo (low humidity areas basically). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CreX said:

Mmm, RH should be RH wherever you go... It's the airs ability to hold moisture. 

So 70%Rh @25° at the coast is the same as 70%rh @25° inland. 

Lol yeh I meant its for when it gets taken out before you crush it, a 60 gonna hold up a bit longer before its crushed in the desert, as opposed to the 50, donno if that makes any sense @CreX 

For me I like the 50, different strains also dry quicker outa the jar en en en 💪

• Like 1

I get you 😏

I really like my smokable weed to be pretty dry... Dry enough to crumble with my hands... But the stuff in storage and cure must stay at 56.

With dryer weed, iv found that I can get away with a pipe clean once a week... But with wetter weed, I have to crush with a grinder which is a pain in the ass... And the extra moisture cloggs up my pipe so fast... Need to clean my pipe twice a week then. 

Like... It mustn't crush into a keif like powder... But calyx pop off the stem much easier than wet weed. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CreX said:

I get you 😏

I really like my smokable weed to be pretty dry... Dry enough to crumble with my hands... But the stuff in storage and cure must stay at 56.

With dryer weed, iv found that I can get away with a pipe clean once a week... But with wetter weed, I have to crush with a grinder which is a pain in the ass... And the extra moisture cloggs up my pipe so fast... Need to clean my pipe twice a week then. 

Like... It mustn't crush into a keif like powder... But calyx pop off the stem much easier than wet weed. 

Just remembered, back in the day before all this merch, I used to gooi a few orange or lemon peels into a jar when the bud was a bit dry.

Trick is to remove em after a day or two when the bud feels a bit wetter, with practice its not a bad method, but forgetting the fruits in jars is a big f@k!p, Boveda packs are just waaaay better :-blazed

Weed below 58% doesn't cure, as to dry.. at least to my knowledge. That is why I never go below 58 ^^ Curing range is 58-66% humidity. So I aim for the middle.. 62 ^^ but I just bring it to 62, then I remove the bag and just vacuum the weed.

Edited by Prom
Typo.. as usual hehehe
  • Like 2