Finding Dank - a diary of (perpetual) growth

DankFiend

40 minutes ago, DankFiend said:

okay cool. I sent them a message. I am in the last month of flower. you think its too late to try it?

Sheeet... Yea it might be a waste hey... The mites work like a charm... But they can take a good 3 weeks to do the job... Which won't leave you in any better position than before. 

Fucken thrips 😑😒

• Like 1

Had a bit of s shitty week with the grow. Outdoor the sorbet got battered by hail, which ripped through leaves and bud sites. The damaged buds now also make bud rot a real possibility. Indoors, I did indeed notice bud rot on one of the main colas of the chemdawg plant. I caught it early but I don't really have too much time to keep an eye on the plant, so decided to harvest her (rather than just cutting away the rot). this means she is at least a week early - all things considered the yield wasn't too bad for a 10l plant chopped early (but I still need to weigh it after its dry). I also disconnected the carbon filter which, combined with having with one less plant, I am hoping will bring the RH down (as the smell is pretty bad I connected the filter to another fan so it can clean the air in the room I am exhausting into. Its not ideal, but at least its keeping the stink in the room) .

here are some pics pf the blue cheese. The star of the tent is actually the go Kush at the moment. will post a pic later in the week

IMG_7029.jpg

IMG_7037.jpg

• Like 3

@DankFiend 

Garden looking on point. Beautiful well trained plants. Good job... love how the fan is just there in the middle of it all amongst the sexy ladies.

Too bad about the bud rot. Good choice in bringing that plant down. I can imagine the airflow has improved.

Late flower is always nail biting times. These weeks just need to pass by so you can reach the finish line and then maybe one of your blue cheeses can reward you with a dehumidifier for next round. 

I haven't flipped my blue cheese as yet. Over grew them like always. Had to bring them down to size. Gave them a week to recover from all the broken branches. Tomorrow they get flipped.

IMG_20200127_200215.jpg

• Like 3

@Mambawana damn, this is going to be fun to watch. please make sure you keep posting progress of them in flower. Although the Scrog photographs well, I am still not sold on the Barneys Blue Cheese genetics. Also one plant seems at least two weeks ahead of the other. but they should start filling out now, so will have a better sense of what I got then.

Edited by DankFiend

7 minutes ago, DankFiend said:

@Mambawana damn, this is going to be fun to watch. please make sure you keep posting progress of them in flower. Although the Scrog photographs well, I am still not sold on the Barneys Blue Cheese genetics. Also one plant seems at least two weeks ahead of the other. but they should start filling out now, so will have a better sense of what I got then.

Would have expected the cheese genetics in it to be stinking up your house by now. Maybe it's blueberry leaning and the terp production gonna happen now in the last 2/3/4 weeks. Barneys state 7-8 weeks but we all know more like 9-10 weeks. How's the frost production? Cheese's are generally not very frosty and blueberry is quite frosty so that might indicate something.

Nevertheless your garden is rocking. If Barneys disappoints atleast we will know for ourselves. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mambawana said:

Would have expected the cheese genetics in it to be stinking up your house by now. Maybe it's blueberry leaning and the terp production gonna happen now in the last 2/3/4 weeks. Barneys state 7-8 weeks but we all know more like 9-10 weeks. How's the frost production? Cheese's are generally not very frosty and blueberry is quite frosty so that might indicate something.

Nevertheless your garden is rocking. If Barneys disappoints atleast we will know for ourselves. 

So the grow is in the back section of the house that no one stays in (I use one of the rooms to work in sometimes and the other as the grow room). And yes, the smell is getting real. Without the filter you smell the plants as soon as you come into the yard if I leave the sliding doors open. At the moment I am exhausting into the bathroom next to the grow room - and running a separate fan to push (smelly) air into the filter. this is really is something I want to find a better solution to - I read on some forum that by connecting two inline fans you can increase the force of the air into the filter, but I have yet to give It a try.

I really wanted to finish this grow by the end of feb, but yeah...might need another week at least. one of the the OG Kush I am growing is coming on its tenth week and she looks she will need at least week or even two more - giving her ripen but I can't say its doing much yet. massive colas though.

the blue cheese is frosting up, but by no means anything special or stand out yet. and yes, at least now I will know. one seems to be more cheese leaning in relation to bud structure.

Edited by DankFiend
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I have chopped almost all of the 10l bag plants, but i am still running into problems caused by high humidy. Im not unhappy with my results so far, but I think the next grow I will shift back to flowering under HID lights.

just tased a bit of one of my OG Kush plants strait off the drying rack. she is already standing out as something I would grow again but she forever to finish - so lets see.  

One of the blue cheese looks almost ready so I might be chopping her this weekend.

IMG_7087.jpg

IMG_7093.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments guys

So I can't say I got a good read on the smells yet, and I really only go begrudgingly into the grow room to do my chores at the moment-  as I am also trying to finish a big work project...but I promise to do a proper review of both blue cheese phenotypes (as well as the OG Kush and Chemdawg) once I get to the end. How are yours looking?

@CreXSo I have had some problems with this grow - PM, Budrot and Thrips. I caught everything early and managed to deal with the problems as the arose (except for the thrips - which is going to hurt the overall yield). But if I am honest, all were products of laziness and me abandoning practices like clearing runoff or cleaning the grow room. One thing that also became clear is that I need to manage the RH better. 

@Bospatrollie2So I should have labeled the picture. The girl you're talking about is the OG Kush. She wasn't bad yielder given that I grew her in a 10l bag and fed her organic nutrients. I think I got a slightly better yield though off one of the chemdawg plants (also in 10l bags). So I need to decide which if the two I scrog next - it will probably be the chemdawg though as the OG Kush took long time to finish and could have gone at least another week when I chopped her (not sure what was going on there. one cola got damaged in flower, but still).

So there are a few things I have decided for the next grow. first, no more growing in bags (too much work, and 10l bags only make sense for big sea of green grows). I have also decided that autopots are not for me, and I am shifting back to home made hydro for my main stash - as it also makes it easier to automate things. The autopots I will use like I used the bags - that is, use them for the plants I grow looking for worthwhile phenotypes to keep etc. Next grow the LED light goes to a veg tent. Not flowing in a tent and instead, I am going to light proof the grow room. However I will keep the 1,5x1,5 meter frame of the tent so I cane double the size of my scrog.  Finally the next light I want to try is gavita 1000w. Its in the box, waiting...  

Edited by DankFiend
  • Like 2

@DankFiend 

Firstly well done on pushing through all those issues towards the finish line. I'm excited for you and the plans for your next grow. You going to find controlling the climate alot easier. That gavita is gonna rock the party.

I haven't argued this because I don't have a LED but a few guys here have stated that their LEDs yield better then a 1000W in a 1.2m x 1.2m area. Seeing as you would soon have used high end options on both your findings will surely surprise a few... just not me😎

My gardens are doing well. So far I've found the blue cheese having the strongest structure of all the Barneys Farm genetics I'm running.

IMG_20200223_055124.thumb.jpg.833f2ceb8660e2df0f72c9b5fab363cb.jpg

In here I have 2 critical kush, 3 triple cheese, 3 blue cheese, 3 gorilla zkittles... All by Barneys Farm. I also have 3 gorilla cbds by dinafem.

This room is at day 18. All I want out of this room is 1 cheese keeper. The rest will be discontinued regardless of their end result. 

This is why🔥🔥🔥

IMG_20200216_015510_148.thumb.jpg.32e4bf53d4f12ff134703eb2059c9757.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a minutes since my last update and a bit has happened since then. For one, I chopped one blue cheese plant. Taste was nice (more berry than cheese), yield was so so. On the whole, it didn't redeem barney's genetics but I am not unhappy with the results. However, there is still another phenotype under the light that might still save their rep (will post pics when I do a close out post for this round after I chop next week. 

This last week the outdoor sorbet has been the story and I had a bit of a struggle with everything being so wet again.

IMG_7125.thumb.jpg.7ae21e41ea38821305ebf7fd41d354a5.jpg

IMG_7127.thumb.jpg.fba74b09d85038a69b9d57fdbcdf50ca.jpg

although I would have liked to have left her another week, I decided last night not to risk it and started chopping around 4pm. Just as well. As I was getting into it the rain started to threaten again so I took the remaining branches, tied them together and shifted the operation inside.

IMG_7131.thumb.jpg.3c4c8b8bbc69762a51e21ce6127b3bb6.jpg

IMG_7132.thumb.jpg.398064cf644776223c0397a4f7059022.jpg

Luckily I had some help - but even with two of us doing the trimming (really badly), at 4am we were still not done and we only stopped working when I got loadshed. this means I didn't go to work today and only just finished hanging the last buds now. They  look good, and the yield looks like it might turn out to be massive. Because there was so much, and trimming was such a mission, I threw lots of the lower buds together with the sugar leaves, so I should be able to make a fair amount of decent hash as well. I am also going to need a lot more curing bottles.

Now I start getting things ready for the next round. 

Edited by DankFiend
  • Like 3

@DankFiend 

Stella stuff bro. You did it... You had some issues midflower and the end looked far away but you managed to control it and ride it too the end. Too bad about Barneys Farm not really impressing... atleast you did it... bought the pretty packaged seeds and dropped dem beanz😎, just like me😀.

Looking forward to the reset. Given what strains you gonna grow any thought?

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 9:23 PM, Mambawana said:

@DankFiend 

Stella stuff bro. You did it... You had some issues midflower and the end looked far away but you managed to control it and ride it too the end. Too bad about Barneys Farm not really impressing... atleast you did it... bought the pretty packaged seeds and dropped dem beanz😎, just like me😀.

Looking forward to the reset. Given what strains you gonna grow any thought?

not sure yet. I'm not too excited to grow out any of the clones I have. I have a few seeds, and a new attitude purchase will be fun (in spite of the state of the rand). One issue is that I prefer doing hydro with clones so they chow more uniformly - so I will probably grow out one of the chemdawg girls I a did the last round in a dwc rig, and then mix shit up in the autopots from the seeds I have (I think I have something called peyote, a few more blue cheese, and some free seeds from older orders).

suggestions if I do an order?