The Mellow Fellow Grow Diary 3.0

Ill_Evan

1 hour ago, CreX said:

Upped the EC with more nutes or calmag? 

Plants are looking better, but I would say it's more due to the fresh res than the upped EC

Upped it with nutes, however still within the recommended dose specified by Nutriplex.

Think I've figured out the discrepancy between recommended dosage and suggested EC. Recommended dosage in veg is 8ml per 10l of each formula. The EC you get with the nutes alone then is 0.8EC. However the suggested EC is 1.5-2.2. That should probably be upped using additives and not with more nutes. I'll apply this on the next res change in a week when I flip to flower. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

Upped it with nutes, however still within the recommended dose specified by Nutriplex.

Think I've figured out the discrepancy between recommended dosage and suggested EC. Recommended dosage in veg is 8ml per 10l of each formula. The EC you get with the nutes alone then is 0.8EC. However the suggested EC is 1.5-2.2. That should probably be upped using additives and not with more nutes. I'll apply this on the next res change in a week when I flip to flower. 

The EC range they give has nothing to do with them assuming you will use additives to get it in that range, the ml per l, is their recommended dilution rate, however as said before you need to take into account solution temperature to get a more accurate ec, I am not sure what temp they recommend the solution to be. But you'll want to add nutrients till you hit that range, not add additives. I would slowly adjust upwards and not to 1.5 immediately. 

Edited by greenkush
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Generally if the manufacturer of the nutes gives you an EC and a dose, it should be more or less on that EC if you dosed correctly.

For example, with the Haifa nutes when you add the correct grams (its powder) into 10L of water you get around the EC which they recommend / state.

I suspect there is a bit of difference due to the quality of the water, my water has an EC of around 160 (0.160) out the tap and after adding the Haifa nutes I get around 1.4 / 1.5 EC and they state 1.6 EC I think it is...

Although if you get 0.8EC and they suggest 1.5 - 2.2 that does not sound right.

An EC of 2.2 in veg does not sound right either, sounds very high to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Nice! You going to be bending stems down a bit more during the first week or two of flowering or just let it grow upwards?

Not totally sure. First time I'm doing scrog so I will have to monitor the canopy but I would ultimately like it all to be as level as possible.

• Like 1

I had an issue with my hps led light where the center grew faster than the outskirts.... 

It is possibly due to the light being centralized with only one source of light( where the qbs will definitely make things more even) ... But you could bend a few that would be getting the primest light down alil so that the outskirts don't lose out on some light in late flower. 

• Like 1

I had an issue with my hps led light where the center grew faster than the outskirts.... 
It is possibly due to the light being centralized with only one source of light( where the qbs will definitely make things more even) ... But you could bend a few that would be getting the primest light down alil so that the outskirts don't lose out on some light in late flower. 

Now, with this in mind would it cause the branches on the outside which aren't getting as much light to stretch more due to the lack of light or would the ones directly under the light grow better due to the higher PAR?

With my LED's, I think it's a case of the outskirts stretch a bit more. Not that I've run a scrog but looking at my current flowering tent and the way the plants are growing, although it could be a coincidence too.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Switched to flower light schedule this past weekend and today flushed the res and filled with flowering dosage of nutes. Following the dosage I get 2.0 EC and since the last flush the plants have done well at that EC. 

Done some defoliation work on both the plants, more so on the left lady than the right. The right plant splits much more closely to the net and more of the minor branches could be utilised than on the left plant. In future I think I'd like to replicate how I grew the right plant for further scrog grows. The shape looks much more suited for the setup. Time will tell which grows better.

20191202_202650.thumb.jpg.7c5ba5d04a1c93ef7520eb662fc4d377.jpg

1804561160_20191202_2027352.thumb.jpg.0fd7c910bb2ff8cf83d288920d2a175b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been out of the country for a week and a half and left the grow to a trusty novice to just help keep the reservoirs filled for me. 

This is what I came back to:

20191213_203728.thumb.jpg.2653245c58a13b747ce24fddff824e8f.jpg

20191213_203805.thumb.jpg.1d4717e1a69619b4a844d5b34c743ed2.jpg

20191213_203746.thumb.jpg.57927e985779dba8b8d3f477652c17c8.jpg

Got quite the monster bush on my hands. Not too sure how much I'd like to defoliate or if even at all. I feel I've gotten a bit heavy handed with it in the past so I feel apprehensive about it.

Plants looking super healthy though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

Rate I'll pull triggers tomorrow 👌 

I think your trusty novice has earned a status upgrade. He's done very well weaving and filling up the canopy.

I can't see the tops very clearly, it looks like it has the bud crowning pattern that usually shows as it's about to flip into flower and start pushing pistils.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mambawana said:

I think your trusty novice has earned a status upgrade. He's done very well weaving and filling up the canopy.

I can't see the tops very clearly, it looks like it has the bud crowning pattern that usually shows as it's about to flip into flower and start pushing pistils.

She did very well 😄 although she only refilled the reservoirs, she was too nervous to manipulate the plant so everything you see was pretty much hands off for a week and a half

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

She did very well 😄 although she only refilled the reservoirs, she was too nervous to manipulate the plant so everything you see was pretty much hands off for a week and a half

She deserves and expensive Christmas present from you... 

Btw have you checked on the plants to make sure they haven't started flowering as I mentioned earlier. You know with the load shedding, timers could have went out of whack. 1 timer has failed on me during these power cuts 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Mambawana said:

She deserves and expensive Christmas present from you... 

Btw have you checked on the plants to make sure they haven't started flowering as I mentioned earlier. You know with the load shedding, timers could have went out of whack. 1 timer has failed on me during these power cuts 

Weird thing happened, even with all the loadshedding my analog timer was still set to the current time 😳 my helper didn't correct it, so I'm assuming there must have been exactly 24hrs of loadshedding in the time I was gone.

But either way, if they have started flowering already it's no problem. The timer is officially flipped to flowering and I'll be doing some defoliation when it is lights on again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Left the grow alone to another friend for a week while I went galavanting at the coast.

Came back to find some nice pre-flowering plants.

pH was way out in the 4.0 range and some leaves around the canopy showed signs of burning and curling. Might have been a bit of light stress involved as well.

Otherwise the resin production is ramping up. Could barely pick off a few fan leaves without getting my fingers sticky.

20191228_204909.thumb.jpg.0440b85f0528e0e8231793f892b00c8d.jpg

20191228_204900.thumb.jpg.74edd7f4148e930956968dfe510d6183.jpg

20191228_204940.thumb.jpg.6222d440ea521497d4acb068aeb58259.jpg

• Like 2