Best nutrients to buy in south Africa ?

Growerr

39 minutes ago, ydt said:

While we're on the nutrient train does GHE/EHG/Horti-powerders destroy microbes?! I've heard that ph up/down does.

Not actually sure how much truth is behind this. I PH my water with pH Up / Down as I had massive without without doing so - ended up with some pH lockout.

I have done microbe inoculations with EM Pro soil, also I use trichoderma and mycorhizzal fungi as well as some other fugcal insecticides and such... Whether it is all in vain due to the PH up / down, I am not sure but I don't think so.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Not actually sure how much truth is behind this. I PH my water with pH Up / Down as I had massive without without doing so - ended up with some pH lockout.

I have done microbe inoculations with EM Pro soil, also I use trichoderma and mycorhizzal fungi as well as some other fugcal insecticides and such... Whether it is all in vain due to the PH up / down, I am not sure but I don't think so.

Potassium hydroxide- is an inorganic compound (ph up)
phosporic acid- a corrosive inorganic acid. (ph down)

I guess it depends on what u use to adjust your ph..? @Green Leaf Organics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ydt said:

Potassium hydroxide- is an inorganic compound (ph up)
phosporic acid- a corrosive inorganic acid. (ph down)

I guess it depends on what u use to adjust your ph..? @Green Leaf Organics

It's a smallish amount though, once diluted in the water is it really going to cause a lot of harm to the microbes though?

Not as if it's going directly into the concentrated pH up / down solution though. Also I always avoid using too much of it - like overdoing the pH down and then using pH up to bring it back up etc.

I'd rather toss out the mixture and redo it if I mess up like that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PsyCLown said:

It's a smallish amount though, once diluted in the water is it really going to cause a lot of harm to the microbes though?

Not as if it's going directly into the concentrated pH up / down solution though. Also I always avoid using too much of it - like overdoing the pH down and then using pH up to bring it back up etc.

I'd rather toss out the mixture and redo it if I mess up like that.

Lol ,inorganic grows(coco/perlite) I dealt with ph up/down allot and to test ph with the drops after ,only to find out you added to much of either ... hectic times.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ydt said:

Lol ,inorganic grows(coco/perlite) I dealt with ph up/down allot and to test ph with the drops after ,only to find out you added to much of either ... hectic times.

LOL then adjusting back and going too far again... Lol fun times... Iv learnt to pH my water before adding nutes to avoid unnecessary resdumps with fresh nutes.. 

Also... The salts in the water from the nutes and pH up and down can be softened if you let your nute solution stand for a day... I wouldn't recommend this with organic nutes... But if it's just the salts I would let it sit a day before adding or using... But if you have regular inoculations you shouldn't have an issue... Keep them up... If you stop the effects will be bad on the micro herd

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CreX said:

LOL then adjusting back and going too far again... Lol fun times... Iv learnt to pH my water before adding nutes to avoid unnecessary resdumps with fresh nutes.. 

Also... The salts in the water from the nutes and pH up and down can be softened if you let your nute solution stand for a day... I wouldn't recommend this with organic nutes... But if it's just the salts I would let it sit a day before adding or using... But if you have regular inoculations you shouldn't have an issue... Keep them up... If you stop the effects will be bad on the micro herd

I rate any salts are bad for your micro herd... well from what I've heard... but this year i'm doing a 1 on 1 test to experiment 😁 definitely gonna log it here..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ydt said:

I rate any salts are bad for your micro herd... well from what I've heard... but this year i'm doing a 1 on 1 test to experiment 😁 definitely gonna log it here..

Gonna need to have a 3 way test for that. 

A few plants that dont get innoculated, your control groups. 

A few plants that do get innoculated regularly and have salts used as nutes right away

And a few plants that get innoculated frequently with the salt solution left to sit for a while. 

But honestly... You will have bigger problems if you don't let your water sit before you use it... 

If you are using fresh tap water, your question is irrelevant as the tap water will do way way more damage than the salts

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CreX said:

Iv learnt to pH my water before adding nutes to avoid unnecessary resdumps with fresh nutes.. 

I only adjust PH after adding nutes as the nutes usually brings my PH down, however the other day i tried an organic mix, Multigrow form ECObuz. that pushed the PH up.

2 hours ago, CreX said:

But honestly... You will have bigger problems if you don't let your water sit before you use it... 

If you are using fresh tap water, your question is irrelevant as the tap water will do way way more damage than the salts

I let my tap water sit for at least 24hrs so the chlorine can evaporate. I use EHG nutes currently, should i mix and let sit for 24 hrs before adding?

I just had a moerse issue with salt buildup, runoff was reading at 4600ppm, been watering with only H2o, got it down to 640ppm yesterday, but i ran the firehose through it. hope that water isnt bad, lol. will do a nute feeding tomorrow.

Please tag the dude from EHG in this thread, maybe he can answer the question, "does it kill microbes?" @420SA