Trailblazer420

Removing fan leaves

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering what everyone else's take is on removing fan leaves. I generally remove them once I feel the side branch is big enough to catch enough light without the help of the bigger leaves, allowing lower branches to get some light as well. Side by side grows in my experience shows minimal difference in yield though.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trailblazer420 said:

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering what everyone else's take is on removing fan leaves. I generally remove them once I feel the side branch is big enough to catch enough light without the help of the bigger leaves, allowing lower branches to get some light as well. Side by side grows in my experience shows minimal difference in yield though.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Dont remove fan leaves unless you have no choice.Tuck them in as best you can to breach light to covered bud spots.If you have no other option you can remove but less is more.

I believe you should pull them off once they are at max size and are being shaded by the higher better lit leaves.

Defoliation helps the plant to direct energy to the new growth instead of maintaining older leaves.

And besides old leaves are targets for pests.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Dabtzar said:

I believe you should pull them off once they are at max size and are being shaded by the higher better lit leaves.

Defoliation helps the plant to direct energy to the new growth instead of maintaining older leaves.

Goodness. Haven't seen you in a while

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dabtzar said:

Yeah I also cut a bit off the base of the plant and very damaged  leaves,but fan leaves are also important in terms of photosynthesis etc.The only time i start really defoliating fan leaves is towards mid/late flower.Other than that I tuck my leaves away from bud sites,I dont remove them.Then again ive never had PM or pest invasions etc either.

• Like 1

Yea once you have a couple bouts of pm, the borg or thrips you will be pulling off all the excess leaves that dont belong. 

You will find they photosythesise better with new healthy leaves, they focus all the growth auxins up the plant instead of maintaining that uncle that you gotta keep paying for. 

• Agree 1

I cut them off as soon as the supporting stem shows its new leaves. Cut the fan leave so the “energy” goes to new growth. 

Also defoliation does increase growth and yield.  

16 hours ago, Totemic said:

Goodness. Haven't seen you in a while

Too busy hotboxing 😉

I am not a fan of pulling fan leaves unless:

1. They are damaged, yellowing
  2. They are infested with bugs, PM
  3. They are covering a flowering bud site in flowering
  4. They are impeding air flow
  5. They are far below the top fan leaf canopy 

All but 3 & 5 can be fixed with better environmental controls and pest management.

I'm not sure if understand the point of removing fan leaf just to create more leaf. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Moosed said:

I am not a fan of pulling fan leaves unless:

1. They are damaged, yellowing
  2. They are infested with bugs, PM
  3. They are covering a flowering bud site in flowering
  4. They are impeding air flow
  5. They are far below the top fan leaf canopy 

All but 3 & 5 can be fixed with better environmental controls and pest management.

I'm not sure if understand the point of removing fan leaf just to create more leaf. 

NO.3 is a big "NO"

You should not cut the leaves growing in the bud site, those leaves feed the bud.

@Oolong83  you contradicting yourself because the video you posted does not support your earlier post.

I'm with Jorge!

1 minute ago, Moosed said:

@Oolong83  you contradicting yourself because the video you posted does not support your earlier post.

I'm with Jorge!

My earlier post was about defoliating, this is about cutting the leaves on the bud sites. 

i should've probably stated that earlier.

but yeah, Jorge knows his shit. his got a shitload of useful info.

I don't trim much unless i need more light or airflow, 

Obviously the yellowing leaves that want to come off generally get a small tug and if they pop off they are gone to the compost heap