Growing for Seeds (With STS)

PsyCLown

1 hour ago, Trailblazer420 said:

I drenched it, absorption is primarily through the leaves as I understand it.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I thought the effects were localized, only worked where you sprayed it.

The guides I'v read tell you to spray the nodes and not the leaves - so I may have been doing it wrong.

@Totemic do you have any experience with STS? Perhaps know the correct way to apply it, whether its localized or not?

If I could just spray the leaves on the top canopy, that'll be much easier!

Edited by PsyCLown
  • Like 1

I have no experience with STS. What I can say if I look at the modus of the silver, it is to disrupt natural ethylene production. This is done on a plant wide scale, and silver hinders this. Even with CS as opposed to STS, whole plant treatment will be more beneficial/productive.

Silver is not a movable ion, but the ethylene is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see, alright thanks.

So probably best to treat the STS / CS as a foliar spray.

I was thinking of maybe spraying the top of the canopy - so leaves and new growth sites and then continuing to spray the nodes on the 3 branches I have marked.

Although am thinking it may be best to just spray the entire plant - top canopy and the branches where the nodes are.

I think I will try the canopy and then the 3 marked branches and see what happens.

• Like 1

So confirmed that the Daq Lime has lots of pollen sacs all over it, I did another and probably final (will see) STS spray on Saturday evening (last night).

Still no signs of flowering on either of the Charlottes Angel plants. I purchased another tent today which I will use for pollinating the plant - so both Daquari Lime plants will be placed inside that tent together, the conditions will be harsh (no extraction or intake) so I expect humidity to be high and the temps to be high too, I may water the plants less while they're inside there and it will just be used until the pollen has dropped and been spread on the female plant to pollinate her.

I do need to get a few things to finish up some lights for this tent though.

I then plan on culling the pollen donor (STS sprayed plant) and then spraying down the newly pollianted female before placing her back into the usual spot and continuing with flowering her. I will then spray down the tent outside most likely with a host pipe and leave it to dry before bringing it back inside or using it for another plant.

This tent can double as a drying tent if need be, so it could serve dual purposes! I really have no clue how long until the pollen sacs open and drop pollen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trailblazer420 said:

A simple R50 PC case fan will drop the humidity severely. My 'ex' veg tent is running at 40% rh, a little higher than I prefer, but hopefully low enough to flower in

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Only if it extracts out - my issue is the pollen being spread throughout my house and getting inside my flower tent with the plants I do not want to pollinate.

Very risky business, I know, I hope I do not end up accidentally pollinating my other flowering plants. I'd rather have the plants suffer a bit with high temps and RH for a few days then pollen everywhere. The plants will survive.

• Agree 2

It was at this point when I had to decide whether I wanted to breed (and buy weed) or grow weed.

I chose growing cause quite frankly I love smoking. The choices and the prep to not have pollen close to flowering plants is a nightmare. Had to shower every time I wanted to check in the ladies....

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smelly Joe said:

It was at this point when I had to decide whether I wanted to breed (and buy weed) or grow weed.

I chose growing cause quite frankly I love smoking. The choices and the prep to not have pollen close to flowering plants is a nightmare. Had to shower every time I wanted to check in the ladies....

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Ladies don't like no Smelly Joe..

• Haha 2

So upon further inspection, I noticed that some pollen sacs had cracked open... inside my veg area which is where I am keeping my auto's.

I did not have time to move them to the new tent yet, so fuck it. Took them both outside, picked off a few other cracked pollen sacs and sprinkled the pollen onto the pistils of my female plant and wiped down my grow area a bit as best as I could.

Both plants will sleep outside tonight, tomorrow morning I want to try hose down the pollinated plant and leave her outside to dry and then she can go back inside the flowering area.

I did get my new lights up and running, have them in my veg area and have taken the QB out - so that is ready for the new tent at least.

I really hope no pollen has gotten and is going to get onto my flowering plants, an indoor grow with seeds is extremely annoying! Such a waste.

The next STS spray will be on Wednesday evening, although I may give it a skip until I start seeing pistils on the Charlottes Angel.

• Like 3

So some pics, below is the plant last night after spreading some pollen on her:

IMG_20190826_204425_1.thumb.jpg.e66f16249cb68dd08ed44a15975d0203.jpg

Then this morning I hosed the plant down to try get rid of any lose pollen, no change in colour yet on the pistils / stigma. Will see tonight, I believe it happens within 24 hours.

I moved the plant back into my grow area after hosing her down.

IMG_20190827_073126.thumb.jpg.d5830a02746a6a06e97841d5fbc77047.jpg

IMG_20190827_073142_1.thumb.jpg.759a00b98f0bc5115946c9393766d241.jpg

• Like 6

So seems the pollen took for the Daquari Lime as there are some orange / brown / burnt pistils on the plants.

I am starting to wonder whether the Charlottes Angel seed were mixed up and that I received some photoperiod seeds as opposed to autoflower seeds as the plants are 2 months old and still no signs of sex, let alone any signs of flowering. I may take some cuttings and see what happens, I would not mind at all if they were photoperiod instead, I'd actually prefer it!

• Like 1