Testers - How it works

Dank

The idea behind breeders sending out tester seeds to forum members is not a new one, it is how I got started getting some decent genetics back in the day, on International forums.

Breeders send out free tester seeds of their breeding to get a better understanding of the results. The more plants we as breeders can see get grown out, the better we can understand our strains and get valuable feedback from community members.

For the early days I think it could work like this:

Breeders can let me know about any potential seed drops that they are planning, this is just a formality, after this I will give you the thumbs up to post about your "new drop" of seeds, post will then get stickied here until all available testers are sent out.

The breeder agrees to send the beans free of charge to the tester, the breeder can pay for courier or arrange with the tester to pay the shipping fees, whichever way they decide. The reason for this being that we do not sell any Cannabis seeds here in the group, for now at least, until laws are in place.

The tester agrees to do a grow diary here on the 420SA forum under the https://www.420sa.co.za/index.php?/forum/92-local-genetics/ section in the main forum. This will help showcase the breeders work grown by different individuals using different techniques of growing. 

Some testers might decide to just take the seeds and not bother with doing a diary, if this is the case, breeders can decide whether or not to send them free tester seeds again. Diaries do not have to be updated every week, but a start to finish grow with at least all growth phases. 

Testers that keep their diaries updated more regularly (like once a week or more) will be favored by the breeders.

THE BREEDERS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DECIDE WHO THEY SEND SEEDS TOO.

That is the final rule set to ensure nobody tries to exploit breeders here on the 420SA forum. 

If a breeder is not sending you tester seeds, consider becoming a real part of the community and I am sure your luck will change.

Keep breeding and growing 420SA! 

PS - Any ideas, advice or potential problems feel free to discuss it here on this thread. Ready to start rolling out some testers slowly slowly. Also running this past you @420SA , just jotted down what I was thinking, will update and edit as necessary.

:-peace

Edited by Dank
amended - the breeder can pay for courier or arrange with the tester to pay the shipping fees, whichever way they decide
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, CreX said:

I'm totally down for assisting breeders, I have zero experience breeding... But would love to learn and possibly enter my own seeds one day 😋

@CreX that sounds awesome, breeding Cannabis is really fun and really not that difficult. Biggest challenge is keeping pollen in the right area's so that the sensi can also get harvested!

14 hours ago, highchome said:

Same here. Happy to assist esp after the competition is done

Awesome @highchome I was thinking to start dropping some testers after the comp. Stoked to see your guys interest! :-rolled

Feel free to drop questions start threads in the forum section. I am always learning and experimenting. The future for breeding Cannabis is surely a bright one, will hopefully contribute to those future seeds you want to breed. :-greenthumb

Edited by Dank
  • Like 2

I'll tell you what I'm aiming for... 

Fruity sweet dense buds, with a solid structure to hold its weight. 

I have the female plant I would like to breed with... But I need a male I am equally happy with, that has fruity lineage. 

• Like 1

@CreX sound like u need the "Sherbert" pheno from the KushCookies F2's selection. What is strain is your plant?  

Smells like dank sherbert tastes like dank sherbert. Its the sweetest thing I got, will make some F1 crosses with it to drop for sure.

I am waiting some Zkittlez regulars, from Californian breeders, not the seedcompany in Spain or Amsterdam, there will be a marriage between the Sherbert and Zkittlez at some point. 

:-puffpass

Edited by Dank

Sadly nothing with an official name, I Call her Aurora Kush 

She has a strong woody structure that holds its fat heavy dense nuggs all the way to the end, beautiful bud development sites and very pest resistant, 95% PM resistant I'd say

Dark green leaves that shimmer blue, tends to make rediculously long petiole(iv seen 30cm before 😆

But what I don't like so much, is the smell of the bud... Very dirty dank smell.. Dirty dirty 😂 nothing like the fruity sweet that I'm going for.. 

So I'm looking to cross it with a male from a strain that is fruity and sweet, preferably sativa dominant strain

• Like 1

Sounds like a good project @CreX , strangely enough the first drop I have ready for the forum is Mystery Sativas x KushCookies F2. Haven't seen too many pheno's yet but the moms were tall and sweet.

If you have a very specific profile in mind it might be worth ordering some breeding stock to find a suitable dad.

• Like 1

Going for a Blueberry Bubblegum

Then I'll be happy

Edit - bush I recently had may have been pollinated by a Dutch passion blueberry lady that hermied late in flower

I have been collecting the seeds and might start a batch to see how they come out. - if I can find some that exhibit similar traits as the mother, and adopt a differnt smell, I might keep those and see where they take me. 

Ideally I would like to keep this mother going and pollinate her with the right male and keep those seeds... 

Edited by CreX

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, ferditnt said:

Good idea. I am also willing to do some outdoor grow tests if this happens.

Awesome, I'm getting ready to do a drop, been a bit busy, but wanted to do a "spring drop". Will most likely post a thread early in the week, time allowing.

It will be outdoor as well as indoor strains to test out.

Peace and buds 🌷

Edited by Dank
  • Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 2:17 PM, CreX said:

I'm totally down for assisting breeders, I have zero experience breeding... But would love to learn and possibly enter my own seeds one day 😋

Count me in. If breeders want to see how their strain do in hydroponics, I'm more than happy to assist.

Edited by Bennie
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

On 08 September 2019 at 9:54 PM, Bospatrollie2 said:

@Crex, I'd like to participate when time comes. If you don't mind.
Sounds epicemoji16.png

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sounds great 🎩 The time has come :-rolled

19 hours ago, Bennie said:

Count me in. If breeders want to see how their stain do in hydroponics, I'm more than happy to assist.

Awesome glad to hear that man, I'll try to get the seed drop posted asap. 🙏🏻

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@Dank  - been lurking and thinking - i joined 420sa to put my head straight in a 20 year landrace journey. Had one Tutor of sorts but the relationship was very stingy. So I kept to myself to play with growing my own and learning what I could to do extraction.

I am with other growers here to make some sort of effort to change my own knowledge, but also to see if I can be instrumental in rediscovering DP in a form we can pip it as an Mzanzi original. So I am keen to test any work that can be done outside.

I was looking at a refinement of my own crop I seeded from my own stock this year and got swiped by the weather in a moerse hail storm. Never the less I am of again on new seed planted, but also receiving some help from kzn club members. Plan to look at my own results to see if I can isolate any useful growth for promotion to a pool of possibles from other growers. I am a sativa grower but still have a lot to learn. Keen to pick up any tasks this group needs help with.

And thank you for this forum you started. I am not going anywhere in this crazy world and I am keen to see RSA feature in its position in the cannabis nations - why not?!!?

Thinking of hooking up a strain hunt in the local hills with locals to see if DP is still on the menu out there as most are growing chronics now. Will see if Ms Kunene is up for it too?

Edited by 420sake
  • Like 2

Hi @420sake , thanks a lot for posting! Its great to hear that you are busy with the DP's, surely one of our nicest here in SA, but like you mentioned, need to see what happening in dem hills these days.

The idea behind the breeders group was to hopefully get some dank collaborations going,  share some beans, and ofcourse breed some beans!

I have been a bit busy moving house, but should get more time to spend here on group and 420SA forum. 

There must be lots of members looking after their DP strains, sure you guys could work together and isolate some killer genetics, as well as improve selection etc. 

Sorry to hear about that hail storm man, best of luck with the next selection!

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1