First grow - Humboldt Seed Organization Genetics

Zaskar09

Howdy all,

This will be my first grow so feel free to critique where necessary.

Strains: HSO Amherst Sour Diesel, HSO Three Blue Kings 

I’m growing indoors in a DIY cabinet (check the cabinet thread for Frankenstein Build), I still have to build the doors but figured I have a day or two before they pop 😂

Light: 600w HID (Lumii Black)

Medium: Freedom Farms Premium, I might switch to my own soil (Reaf’s Original Mix) later depending on the timing. The soil is still cooking.

Nutrients: Not 100% sure yet but I’ll probably stick to Seagro, Nitrosol and AACT.

I think that about covers it. Seeds have just been dropped into some shot glasses to soak and will then be going into some Jiffy pellets.

Any words of advice is more than welcome!

P.S. I absolutely love HSO’s packaging. That’s a little lazercut wooden block with a glass vial waxed in!

BCF3EEBB-BC85-4762-99B0-BD0DCC471260.jpeg

• Like 1

Morning guys,

So they’ve soaked for 12 hours and they’ve now gone into their Jiffy homes. I was a bit worried at first because the seeds floated but they both sunk after about an hour.

Quick question: Can I place them under a 600w HID as soon as they sprout or is it going to cook them? I find lots of conflicting opinions about this.

Thanks!

D54E5C2D-175D-43BC-ACF7-99855FA0BD2F.jpeg

Edited by Zaskar09
Picture uploaded twice
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Zaskar09 said:

So they’ve soaked for 12 hours and they’ve now gone into their Jiffy homes. I was a bit worried at first because the seeds floated but they both sunk after about an hour.

Looking forward to your grow. I'm running an Amherst Sour Diesel at the moment. She's a strong plant that yields nicely. Still a bit medicated on her right now

9 minutes ago, greenkush said:

No it's not, some seeds are denser. I've had many seeds sink immediately and germinate fine.

I grow vegetables, generally I toss the floaters (seeds are way cheaper) because they either don’t germinate or take too long.

1 minute ago, Zaskar09 said:

I grow vegetables, generally I toss the floaters (seeds are way cheaper) because they either don’t germinate or take too long.

Yep I do the same.

On side note, I'm busy soaking 5 Chocolate Mint OG - Humboldt.

Edited by greenkush
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoukie said:

You know this is going to be a good grow when you took the time to print stickers to label your pots, well done!

OCD, and I don’t want to mix them up. Even the next two pots are already labeled 😂😂

F797D385-1FAB-41A8-BF6D-C43901178D23.jpeg

20 hours ago, 420SA said:

Looking forward to your grow. I'm running an Amherst Sour Diesel at the moment. She's a strong plant that yields nicely. Still a bit medicated on her right now

That’s one of the reasons I chose her, apparently even when you f it up you’ll still get an average yield 😂

Three Blue Kings I got because I initially ordered 5 ASD but they made a mistake on their website and only had a 3 pack in stock. When they let me know I just looked for the one with the biggest expected yield.

Weekly update nr 1:

I think everything is looking good but let me know if it isn’t 😂

Three Blue Kings (TBK) sprouted on Sunday morning so that’s three days after being planted in the Jiffy pellet.

Monday morning I noticed a root poking out the bottom (this stuff grows FAST). Initially I wanted to keep it in the Jiffy pellet for a bit to let it air prune the roots (read up on Elliot Coleman and soil blocks if you think I’m crazy) but decided against it. This is my first grow and I’d rather keep it simple.

I filled my first pot with Freedom Farms soil and watered it with a very simple AACT (homemade wormcastings, homemade fungal dominated compost and blackstrap molasses brewed for 24h). I let it stand for the day and planted the Jiffy pellet with a teaspoon of Micoroot on Monday evening. Watered in with bubbled water and haven’t watered since.

Exact same process with the Amherst Sour Diesel but everything just happened one day later.

Plants are currently sitting under 600w HPS (I’ve decided against MH for now due to budget constraints, I know it’s not optimal but it’ll have to do) on an 18/6 schedule. Light is literally as high up as it can go at the moment (about 1.5m from plants).

Question:

1. At what point can I lower the light? Is it necessary to lower the light at all?

TBK on the left, ASD on the right.

03CD0C90-BD2C-49F2-857D-D4B2A2A69C1D.jpeg

32AB0ADA-7E1A-413E-9933-C2E16CC0F011.jpeg

Edited by Zaskar09
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

If it was me I would not lower the light within the first 2-3 weeks. Let them grow out a bit. If the do stretch lower the light.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

That’s what I was thinking, thanks!

• Like 1

Weekly update nr 2:

Yesterday was exactly 2 weeks since I started soaking these seeds, I think they’re doing well.

They haven’t received any nutes yet, just AACT on every second watering. I think I might be slightly under watering them but I’ve read that under watering is better than over watering. I wait till the pot is REALLY light before watering again. First watering was done when I transplanted the Jiffy Pellets, second was 5 days after that and the latest one (this morning) was 4 days. The plan is to wait until they reach that same level of “lightness” within 24hrs before transplanting to a larger pot.

My bottom leaves are doing a funny curly thing, almost like a propeller, where it seems to drop the one side and lift the other. Pic included for clarity. Does anybody have some advice or reason for this? Fan too strong? It started with the Three Blue Kings but the Amherst Sour Diesel soon followed

FDCA4FA8-B700-4114-8634-F82C227AF463.jpeg

C8BE34C8-C2D3-48C4-96C9-F77563777DE4.jpeg

F0DB06DD-0684-4320-A3B9-87F5FEFF3764.jpeg

Edited by Zaskar09

1 minute ago, Zaskar09 said:

Good to know, thanks!

Some will claim its mutation, some will say pH, etc. Best to wait until you have a few nodes and judge then. Also perhaps check your pH that it's not swinging. I'm very careless with seedlings, I feed water direct from the tap with no shits given. 

1B820C84-DD44-410D-87FB-5F70A6E3EC5C.JPG

10 minutes ago, greenkush said:

Some will claim its mutation, some will say pH, etc. Best to wait until you have a few nodes and judge then. Also perhaps check your pH that it's not swinging. I'm very careless with seedlings, I feed water direct from the tap with no shits given. 

1B820C84-DD44-410D-87FB-5F70A6E3EC5C.JPG

I  bubble my tap water to let the chlorine evaporate but that’s it, I’d rather keep it as simple as possible for as long as possible.

Would be interesting to hear if @420SA experienced the same thing with his ASD?

To be honest I can't remember but like GK is saying don't sweat over it the seedlings are looking good. I've experienced seedlings that have shown that, my guess is it's root related. Anyways the upper nodes will soon look a lot better

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update!

It’s been about 3.5 weeks since I’ve dropped the seeds in some water and I think they’re doing well.

The ASD is growing quite a bit slower than the TBK, even taking the day later germination into account.

TBK (right) was transplanted 5 days ago, ASD (left) two days ago.

Still no nutes as they don’t seem to need it yet but let me know if I’m missing something.

A702713B-D48C-4585-8527-16F313568068.jpeg

4AFC8DC1-D1C9-4BAD-A757-A2FE9E9938C2.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, greenkush said:

Looking good, just keep an eye on the leaves and ensure they don't start to claw.

Thanks, and the clawing would be a sign of...?

The TBK does seem to be clawing a bit but they were just about to go into the dark phase (18/6 schedule). I’ve noticed that she looks a lot better at the start of the light phase than at the end, dunno if the 600w HPS is a bit too strong at this stage.

2 minutes ago, Zaskar09 said:

Thanks, and the clawing would be a sign of...?

The TBK does seem to be clawing a bit but they were just about to go into the dark phase (18/6 schedule). I’ve noticed that she looks a lot better at the start of the light phase than at the end, dunno if the 600w HPS is a bit too strong at this stage.

Clawing can be a few things so its not easy to say now or even if its an issue. Nitrogen toxicity, root zone problems etc. none of which you have.