420SA's Perpetual Paradys

420SA

Are you running an AC with those temps?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm not hey which is why you can see heat stress on the sour diesel if you look closely at the photo. I'm running the light from 18h00 to 06h00 which does help me get away with it but with the addition of the 400w things could change...

It's the cost of running the AC that worries me

I have to run an AC. Electric f....!!!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Flower day 40

It's been a while since my last update. With all the upgrades going on my focus has largely been on that.

The whole crop is still looking good. Progress is good for some and not so great for others.

The pick of the bunch is definitely the Amherst sour diesel below(in hydro). Buds are building up nicely and the frost is frosting. Definitely a plant I'll be keeping around. Looking forward to seeing how she'll turn out in my soil.

20181018_093206.thumb.jpg.362629eb53465b35c616de695c389142.jpg

20181017_220604.thumb.jpg.f70a0bcdfe58721417d81137f91c3ad1.jpg

Blue Kush below. She is just one those female's that you can never please, one moment she's hungry and the next she's overfed. Just way more fussy than the rest but she smells great and hopefully she'll surprise me towards the end.

20181018_093133.jpg

The last hydro plant. The Purple orange CBD seed #3. Plant is looking good, just not much resin or budding to show at present. She has been slow to flower since the switch. Much slower than her organic siblings, that'll be down to genetics though Im sure and not the medium.

20181018_093308.thumb.jpg.acdd29da5fe5ddf12c86c381069c5cb0.jpg

Purple Orange CBD #1 - Organic

20181017_221338.thumb.jpg.4fce558cd9f3259b21d64b26dca7eb4c.jpg

20181017_221408.thumb.jpg.0eafb207a3b10f9d3e91523d916ca698.jpg

20181017_221345.thumb.jpg.05ab289a83c01e5bb25e093370482d78.jpg

Purple Orange CBD #2 - organic

20181018_093400.thumb.jpg.724e767360a1375a8469479b51cc6c6d.jpg

20181018_093020.thumb.jpg.deeabaf5204bef1773e416d93d94e441.jpg

20181018_093102.jpg

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Green Leaf Organics said:

I noticed you using a lot of peat moss , why?

Just from reading up basically. Of course highly debatable  it seems peat moss is the best choice. Higher CEC, I dont have to flush the hell out of it before mixing, like with coco and because the tap water PH here is high, my thinking is the acidity of the peat moss will balance it out, coupled with the lime of course.

A few sites and growers claim the same, but here's what KIS organics has to say

Pros of Peat Moss:

• Free of weed seeds, pests and pathogens.
  • Can absorb up to 20 times its weight in water.
  • Contains beneficial microorganisms.
  • Acidic pH (a "pro" in my opinion because you can add highly alkaline amendments to it).
  • Contains a variety of elements, especially sulfur, which helps with proper terpene expression.
  • Excellent habitat for beneficial microorganisms.
  • Harvested in North America, which reduces the fossil fuel impact to get it to the United States.
  • Holds 10x to 20x its dry weight in water.
  • Better C:N ratio than coco coir.
  • Cation exchange capacity (CEC) of 100-200.

Cons of Peat Moss:

• Depletes peat bogs, which requires them to be re-built or sustainably harvested.
  • Naturally hydrophobic, meaning if allowed to dry out it will be slow to accept water.
  • Needs to be kept evenly moist for optimal plant growth and health.
  • Requires hydrating before use.

Pros of Coco Coir:

• Coir pH usually runs 6 – 6.7.
  • "Renewable" resource - byproduct of the coconut industry.
  • Easier to rewet than peat moss, is not hydrophobic.
  • Usually cheaper than peat moss.
  • Different reports list coco as having a water capacity ranging from 8x to 30x it's own weight.
  • Excellent habitat for microorganisms.
  • Free of weed seeds, pests, and pathogens.
  • Breaks down slower than peat due to high lignin content.
  • Cation Exchange Capacity of 40-60.

Cons of Coco Coir:

• High salinity unless properly washed.
  • Quality can vary depending on batch and source of material.
  • Higher fossil fuel cost to get the coir to the United States from tropical regions.
  • Does not contain many trace elements.
  • Does not contain microorganisms.
  • Traditionally high in sodium and potassium which can lead to calcium or magnesium deficiencies unless properly treated.
  • Requires hydrating before use.
  • Increased incidence of nasobronchial allergy among workers in this industry due to the high amount of dust created.
  • Some peat in tropical regions is being sprayed with pesticides like neonicotinoids, one of the pesticides most commonly linked to honey bee death.
  • Like 1

I use peat moss too and found it to be working much better than coir (It seems like the whole coco coir craze started as a by product of coconut water being popular) so far but I'm on my 1st run with it. Was recommended to me by a very, very good organic grower though.

I bought the Klasmann-Deilmann TS1 fine moss and it's the sexiest moss I've ever seen, soft and fluffy man. I do a 50/50 mix with it and my own wormcastings for seedlings and they seem to love it so far. 

What peat moss did you try? The stuff I bought is suppose to be a fancy one and not like Sphagnum. Also I don't use any bottle nutes so not sure how it works with bio bizz and it's watering / feeding schedule. But yeah lots of way to do it. Crazyiest "mix" I've seen so far is a 60% moss, 30% humic, 10% bio char one on insta....and the plants look dank AF, but they are outdoor growers.

Edited by Guest

On 10/18/2018 at 12:26 PM, noobymacdooby said:

I use peat moss too and found it to be working much better than coir (It seems like the whole coco coir craze started as a by product of coconut water being popular) so far but I'm on my 1st run with it. Was recommended to me by a very, very good organic grower though.

Coco definitely has its place in growing, and its still a great option for soil. I just decided to choose the one over the other. Based on what I've read and not what I've seen with my own eyes. The only way to truly know is to mix up two different soil batches. One with peat moss in, and the other with coco in... probably will try that actually :investigating

• Like 1

Yeah and depending on how you  grow it can have an effect too. I did a test on my seedling mix as it's 50/50 and the peat moss worked better in my setup. Still use coir though as it's a good filler. Also been using some coir to mix into my fermented compost when it's ready for the worm bins.

I tried to do a plain coco coir mix with feeding just bio bizz like you would in hydro and it failed badly.....was told it doesnt really work in that setup.

I have found it compacts my soil to much as it's to fine for my liking , Cannabis likes loose soil . I am so an not a fan of the PH of 4.2 especially when using more tha  30% in a mix . With peat your soil will become naturally more acidic so you relying on amendments  to buffer your mix , get those amendments wrong and it will through your ph off . Personally I like to balance my base mixes and not rely on amendments so much. I also dont like how hydrophobic it is lol.

If it works for you that's all that counts , I personally have tried it in a few mixes and it didn't work for me . It's like vermiculite I think the stuff is devil spawn.... other love it lol

Ah that's interesting. The white peat I'm using is ph 6.0 and I'm doing living soil / no till but I haven't ever really ph'd the run off....seeing as I water to make sure there is none. Should probably check that but for now plants seem pretty happy about it. Will keep an eye out for compacting too. As the username suggests I've just been at this a short while so always good to get more info on what works / doesn't work. The only issue I run into with the peat is that the freakin ants keep trying to make the bale their home....

So here we go.

1. Remove base from fan (mine is held in place with clips)
2. Drill 3 pilot holes in the base
3. Place plank on top of tent supported by pipes or rods inside the tent
4. Place base against 'ceiling' of tent, against plank on top of tent
5. Screw base to plank. Yes this will make 3 x small holes in your tent, so if you're not happy with this, this Diy is not for you
6. Click fan back into base and viola!!!

Pics to follow

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk