Stressing males to collect pollen

Weskush

I am planning to pollinate a strain in an attempt to produce seeds and preserve the genetics. Ideally i wanted to collect pollen and immediately apply to female but the male is a little slower to flower than the chosen female. If i introduce stress eg. drought, light deprivation to the male plant, will it speed up/increase pollen production and will the stress have an effect on pollen viability? @Totemic any input would be appreciated. Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weskush said:

Stressing a female near harvest produces more trichomes if i understand correctly. By stressing a male during flower should technically have the same effect in the form of pollen production then. Correct me if im wrong.

You might also hermie your females so it is a delicate balance. 

• Like 1

you can promote maturation by means of altering the frequency of ultradian rhythms within its circadian clock of the male plant, this will require a separate grow space obviously

alternatively and much less complicated to understand without background in plant biology would be to use ethylene to promote maturation. this is done by home growers with ripe bananas, also requiring a separate space

Edited by GreenGalaxyFarm
  • Like 1
  • Fire! 1

11 minutes ago, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

you can promote maturation by means of altering the frequency of ultradian rhythms within its circadian clock of the male plant, this will require a separate grow space obviously

alternatively and much less complicated to understand without background in plant biology would be to use ethylene to promote maturation. this is done by home growers with ripe bananas, also requiring a separate space

Ive heard of guys placing reg seeds in a container with banana peels wrapped in tissue or similar to feminize the seeds. Works 100% apparently. 

• Confused 1

for now though, microspores are land plant spores that develop into male gametophytes, whereas megaspores develop into female gametophytes. the male gametophyte gives rise to sperm cells, which are used for fertilization of an egg cell to form a zygote.

it is during the sporophyte phase that you can modify which direction the plant goes. so it can be done..im just not sure how this is done without lab interference, still reading.

• Like 1

it wont make a difference honestly look into diurnal rhythms

keeping a plant in dark or light conditions dont stop biological process within the plant over night. they continue as if it was going through light and dark periods as normal (the circadian rhythm) so you are mostly just putting a pause on photosynthesis, im not boring you?

• Like 1

Nah all good. Appreciate knowledge. The room is the only isolated space available. Its actually an outside toilet haha! Fitting a led is no option otherwise i wouldve just gooied it on 12/12. Just not going to be able to maximize pollen production. If i can collect enough pollen to pollenate the chosen female i will be stoked. A little goes a long way. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Weskush said:

produce seeds and preserve the genetics

you could also have taken this time to create fem seeds this is not considered true breeding tho would have preserved the genetic but its too late probably too administer cs sprays now. cloning her would help too

edit: i realize this is rather off topic as your looking into collecting pollen , im just jotting stuff down at this point😄

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

hoor hoor people also dilute it to increase the spread..but maybe your only looking to seed one branch idk

Ja. A couple of branches. Would still like to see what the redt of the buds would express unpollinated. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

you could also have taken this time to create fem seeds this is not considered true breeding tho would have preserved the genetic but its too late probably too administer cs sprays now. cloning her would help too

Yip. Got clones going from the male and female as security

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GreenGalaxyFarm said:

Not too keen on cs. Chances of hermies etc. Im old school. Going the old school way

• Like 1
  • Fire! 1

9 hours ago, Weskush said:

If i introduce stress eg. drought, light deprivation to the male plant, will it speed up/increase pollen production and will the stress have an effect on pollen viability?

''Abiotic stresses reduce the photosynthates production, thus genotypes also reduce the reserve mobilization for tapetum cells which induce the significant reduction in pollen fertility.''

from: http://researcherslinks.com/current-issues/Pollen-Viability-an-Index-of-Abiotic-Stresses-Tolerance-and-Methods-for-the-Improved-Pollen-Viability/24/1/2563/html#:~:text=Abiotic stresses reduce the photosynthates,susceptible genotypes under abiotic stresses.

edit: by now everyone nows im a nerd LOL was cool back in highschool before college changed me 180

• Fire! 1
  • Haha 1

If you have clones of the female, why the rush? Done exactly the same thing due to male/female timelines. Collected the pollen and used it on the female clone.

You'd be surprized how many seeds you can collect from a smallish clone.

Manipulations aside....IMO I'd prefer to keep the male as healthy/stress free as possible to maximize viable pollen production. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1