First 4x4 grow need help

Wayne502

Hi guys, new to growing, looking to run 12 plants in 12 litre pots under a 1000w hps in a 4x4x6 tent aiming for a yield of 800g+ if possible, idk what to expect, any input would be appreciated, question is, with an air cooled reflector and 6 inch fan pushing air through the hood with a mini DIY cooler box filled with ice and a computer fan directing cold air through the 6 inch fan ducting be sufficient at cooling the 1000w hps light? Trying to save cost on electricity by eliminating the need of an AC unit

• Like 3

what's up! @Wayne502

4x4x6 what? meters or foot?

with a 1000w HID I sure hope it's not foot, or you gona make toast. 

struggling to think that it's meters cause a 6m high room is a bit much

also the DIY option you got in mind will not help you. you gona create fog with ice and a fan, that will damage the light if it blows through it. also you gona need a TON of ice and legwork to keep the ice icey, so much so that it will quickly become impractical. 

are these the resources you have to work with or are you looking at what to get?

• Like 1

16 sq ft total, ye i thought as much, as im new to growing im looking at what to get, came up with that playing around with ideas, but my aim is for 800g yield, i looked at running x2 bestva dc 2000w with a true draw of 390 each, 790w total draw..but uncertain whether it would get me to 800g vs running HPS

• Like 1

AC might work out cheaper than topping up the ice a few times a day, ice not going to last long. That's a lot of watts in a 1x1x1,5m area , you need about 2 hight also with that light. In general a pot is 30cm plus the plants will be 30cm+ and that will leave you with 90cm between light and plant canopy before the stretch when you go into flower.What airflow do you have passing through the grow space ? Luckily weather is getting colder and that MIGHT counter the heat side but the intensity of the light on the plants can be rough after stretch.
Some fellow growers using HID will give advise soon , hang in there.

PS- Welcome

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

what strain are you running to get the 800g yeild?

who do you know of that is getting 800g in that space so that you think you will also be able to reach that?

it sounds like you have some grow knowledge, or spend time with peeps who have the grow knowledge.

but 800g in that space is pretty much pro level...a better goal for a noobie as you say you are is around 400g

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Plan on customizing the the tent myself with a larger house fan as an exhaust fan running on a timer that will exhaust stale air out of the tent every half an hour for a time of 10mins running time, along with an 6" RAM mixed air intake fan to pull in fresh air that will run 24/7, will post a small video of the fan im planning to customize into the tent as an exhaust fan, used cigarette smoke to simulate the air suction that will exhaust stale air from the tent every half an hour, have not set up anything as yet, lol please dont judge🙈as i stated im new and any input or guidance will be appreciated, trying to keep things on a budget, dont mind spending money on lights, but additional heating/cooling will ramp up the bills hence im looking at as much air circulation as possible to help vent hot air if i would to run an 1000w hps in 16 sq foot of space

15 minutes ago, CreX said:

what strain are you running to get the 800g yeild?

who do you know of that is getting 800g in that space so that you think you will also be able to reach that?

it sounds like you have some grow knowledge, or spend time with peeps who have the grow knowledge.

but 800g in that space is pretty much pro level...a better goal for a noobie as you say you are is around 400g

23 minutes ago, Wayne502 said:

16 sq ft total, ye i thought as much, as im new to growing im looking at what to get, came up with that playing around with ideas, but my aim is for 800g yield, i looked at running x2 bestva dc 2000w with a true draw of 390 each, 790w total draw..but uncertain whether it would get me to 800g vs running HPS

You can achieve 800g by doubling your space, or more even, but then you gotta go toward 1000 True Watts. 

also double pot size. 20L minimum

and GGG refered to airflow, you gona need 3 or 4 circulation fans in that space and a 15cm inline fan for extraction, could go bigger (20cm) then run it on low and have the fan last twice as long.

• Like 1

Yea i agree with @CreX800g+ is going to be a challenge in that space, thats what im getting with maybe more than double the size. In order to attempt to reach your goal i would go with a strain like big bud, but space is always goin to play a big factor in you reaching those goals 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Agree 1

why not consider some LED lighting? if light is where you wanna focus your money, i would say look at the LEDS some vendors are pushing these days.

The 1000w fitting may be cheaper to start with... but it will quickly use electricity compared to LEDS and you will find that the savings will start coming after a few months if you go LED.

have you got some strains to grow yet or not yet?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CreX said:

why not consider some LED lighting? if light is where you wanna focus your money, i would say look at the LEDS some vendors are pushing these days.

The 1000w fitting may be cheaper to start with... but it will quickly use electricity compared to LEDS and you will find that the savings will start coming after a few months if you go LED.

have you got some strains to grow yet or not yet?

you also have to replace bulbs and ballasts too, loose light intensity after first grow... pffs

I thank the higher power every day I started growing after the age of the HID, seems like a headache to work with compared to the LEDs. 

I would highly suggest LED over HID, specially with the modern tech we have. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Wayne502 said:

Plan on customizing the the tent myself with a larger house fan as an exhaust fan running on a timer that will exhaust stale air out of the tent every half an hour for a time of 10mins running time, along with an 6" RAM mixed air intake fan to pull in fresh air that will run 24/7, will post a small video of the fan im planning to customize into the tent as an exhaust fan, used cigarette smoke to simulate the air suction that will exhaust stale air from the tent every half an hour, have not set up anything as yet, lol please dont judge🙈as i stated im new and any input or guidance will be appreciated, trying to keep things on a budget, dont mind spending money on lights, but additional heating/cooling will ramp up the bills hence im looking at as much air circulation as possible to help vent hot air if i would to run an 1000w hps in 16 sq foot of space

that fan is not gona do the job brother. 

you will also have major light leak and this will be a problem come flower time. 

you will need something that's made for the job. 

your extraction fans should run 24/7, both in and out. 

any stagnant air is breeding grounds for diseases, constant moving fresh air is what we aiming for. 

like outside

3 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

you also have to replace bulbs and ballasts too, loose light intensity after first grow... pffs

I thank the higher power every day I started growing after the age of the HID, seems like a headache to work with compared to the LEDs. 

I would highly suggest LED over HID, specially with the modern tech we have. 

Heat wise it was a nightmare brother, 30+ c in winter in my case. LED really did came to save us all lol

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Wayne502 said:

Ye plan on growing some green crack photoperiods,  sativa dominant, 1 month veg or either 12/12 from seed 

Yea see you going to need to veg out a month+ each plant to get higher yields, you can try SOG with more smaller plants but again everything is a space factor, i wouldn't suggest 12/12 from seed, your plants will yield very little. You would be better off growing one plant and veg it for 2 months with abit of training in order to really max your space

12/12 from seed you can go abit smaller pots and more pots .
Some good advise above !!
LEDS will work way better with what you wanna do and to reach 800g dry you will need to cover every cm with a bud basically and have very good airflow to avoid high humidity with so much plants .

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

Awe i was scrolling through a thread not to long ago, guy was using 12L pots with 12/12 from seed with coco and, yielded 74g per plant with a height of 120cm, apparently 12/12 from seed equals smaller plants, but the plants grow into a solid cola with minimal side branching with 6 harvests per year, i have not grown as yet but from what i could see from the threads im keen on giving it a try

@Wayne502 Welcome!

Firstly, let's start using meters as we're in South Africa and it's just simpler that way. 😛 

1.2m x 1.2m tent, the height would typically be 2m but 6 feet works out to 1.8m?  That extra 20cm makes a big difference if you want to run HID lights. For LED's not as much of an issue or concern.

Lets first start with what you want to achieve and what you restrictions are.

You want to try get a yield of 800g - many ways to achieve this.

What is your restriction? Money for the initial setup? Space for tents / plants?  What are you trying to achieve? 800g from the smallest space possible or can you consider a larger space to fit more plants?

In a 1.2m x 1.2m tent, stick 2x 240W Quantum Boards inside for a total of 480W of LED power and you're good to go. With this lighting you should be able to achieve 600 to 800g dry, but other factors need to be taken into consideration.

Environment, strain, plant size etc. etc.

In terms of air circulation for inside the tent, a single 30cm box fan should suffice with the louvre turned on. Hang it from the top of the tent facing downwards.

You can get away with a simple extraction fan to exhaust air out of the tent, dangle some ducting for passive airintake. 6" extraction fan is more than sufficient for such a space. You could likely get away with a 4" extraction fan if running LED's and no carbon filter.

I would advise against HID's due to the heat, you want extra height as well and to keep everything cool is a mission and often leads to issues or one requiring to spend more money - especially in summer. Also the bulbs need to be replaced every now and then as well which is an additional cost.

• Agree 4

17 minutes ago, Wayne502 said:

Awe i was scrolling through a thread not to long ago, guy was using 12L pots with 12/12 from seed with coco and, yielded 74g per plant with a height of 120cm, apparently 12/12 from seed equals smaller plants, but the plants grow into a solid cola with minimal side branching with 6 harvests per year, i have not grown as yet but from what i could see from the threads im keen on giving it a try

I have not tried this, heard of people doing 12 / 12 from seed, however I feel everything will need to be on point in order to get a good yield. One mistake and it's tickets to your yield.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I have not tried this, heard of people doing 12 / 12 from seed, however I feel everything will need to be on point in order to get a good yield. One mistake and it's tickets to your yield.

I have tried this before (Twice actually), I wouldnt do it again tho, you can and will get some type of yield from it but the time and effort that goes into it isnt worth the yield you will get off it even if everything is top notch. Even in a SOG i would go 6 weeks min veg time, remember with 12/12 you giving the plant little to almost no veg time, when we think of veging and training our plants we do so to prepare our plants for flowering so that they may yield more, 12/12 we skipping that crucial phase of the plant

what are you going to use as a growing meduim? and what nutrients will you use? have you grown any plants before? weed or not?

not trying to dismay your eagerness!!! but what you are asking to achieve is really high efficiency for your space and unfortunately, green crack being sativa dominant, isnt a high yielder at all. i do encourage you to stick around and take a look see at what the guys are doing on the forum. 

keep reading the international forums as well!! those guys are on a whole other level... but have also been growing for 15 years or more

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Wayne502 said:

Ye temps have to be perfect throughout the grow, here's a lil pic of of solo cups, with 12L pots the plants should be bigger and yield more 

20210625_125556.jpg

I'd guess that is around 40g dry bud from those cups if lucky. I could be wrong though.

First decide on your setup - what equipment you will be running.
Once you have a setup, then you can try these various methods yourself and see what works best for you - we can advise and give input as to what may help you achieve your 800g yield but first you need to get your tent setup.

Finding the right strain and the right phenotype is also very important, not all strains yield the same. Not all are on the same level when it comes to frost. Lots of variables and this is often an area which is neglected - good, quality genetics.