Up in smoke: UK businessman cries foul after SA firm offloads his product to dagga growers - Times Live

420SA

LOL - what soil are we talking about here though? all the say was that it was substandard coco peat?

Kudo's to the journalist for using "Dagga growers" as clickbait lol it became pretty obvious us growers have nothing to do with the story so whether the end users of the soil were nuns growing roses or dagga koppe growing mad nugs is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT but i must say it was an interesting read so thanks for that 

My 2c = If this UK business man brings a suit against them these guys are fucked, its gonna take a long time but as long as the UK supplier doesn't give up/get gatvol of paying for lawyers these guys are screwed, i must say he's an idiot for sending that stock without having secured a deposit or at the very least having the buyers sign surety in their personal capacity as collateral in the likely event he wasnt paid (I say likely because its clear this is his first time dealing with south africans)  

Whats funny though is how the buyers are now claiming breach of contract & the product was substandard (both of which are possible) but they never returned the product or attempted to rectify the issue so if the product was infact substandard which i doubt because no one spends over a million for subpar stock &  starts a new company to sell that same subpar stock so its starting to look pretty obvious like suggested in the piece that the newly registered company was only setup after acquiring the stock in order to sell the product without the guy in the UK being able to point back and say if the product is so bad then why so you continue to sell it?

Either way things not looking too good for Progrow or Just Cannabis - all that UK guy needs to do is prove that the stock sold by just cannabis was acquired/supplied through Progrow & "sold" to just cannabis.......open & shut case. - however this isnt a win for the UK dude as he's very unlikely to get a cent for that stock as its very likely those companies were registered as a CC which would make the directors not liable for debts incurred in a personal capacity, however he could bring a case of fraud of theft by deception against them, but doing so is going to cost him more than what its worth..........Schoolfees paid thats for sure

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Hmm, wonder how much truth there is to this. Progrow opening up a new company and reselling their "soil" as Just Cannabis.

Where there's smoke there's fire - might not end up being fire but still reason for concern or at the very least "check it out"

@Psylecta Detailed answer with obviously a lot of business and legal knowledge. Surprised any company would send such a large volume of stock on consignment to South Africa. Silly to cry foul now and start playing the expensive game with lawyers. Sorry to say you can clearly see a dodgy deal from the South African side of things. Damn we are going down the tubes, very fast.

• Like 1

@PsyCLown Well i cant say for sure how much truth there is in this story but the one thing that im absolutely certain of is that theres a lot more bullshit than truth and none of it in Just Cannabis's favour either

Because how the fuck do they go & respond (on record nogal) making the claim that the product is substandard but because their supplier refused to do anything therefore UK company is in breach of contract - thats pure bullshit for 2 simple reasons

1.) they continued to sell the substandard product at a premium price - R180 for 30lt is pretty up there --- so one things for sure if they didnt fuck over their supplier they fucked over their customer and in my books if you capable of doing one its likely you done both

2.) breaching a contract doesnt mean you get the keep the shit AND still not pay for it - go breach your home loan and see if the bank gives you any money back

so i mean instead of  REFUSING to sell a substandard product they rather doubled down, packaged & marketed the subspar goods as their own inhouse  premium brand with a premium price  so i  mean it begs the question if the soil is subpar then why continue scamming end users by claiming its premium and if its not subpar then why the fuck dont you just pay your invoices like the rest of us and stop giving the country a bad name.

@Chris Jay yeah, but shame this Pommie still thinks he's getting paid though....someone never explained to him what a "ya bru" is lmao

Edited by Psylecta
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Psylecta said:

how would the coco be subpar anyway? thought it was inert and cant go "bad"?

Exactly, it was more than likely a decent/regular product. Maybe longer strands of coir , but yes how can it be subpar. I smell skullduggery from the boets side, delay tactics. if its not great, he could just ship it back and say no thanks. Bet that wont happen.

15 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Hmm, wonder how much truth there is to this. Progrow opening up a new company and reselling their "soil" as Just Cannabis.

Sadly, it does seem a full blown mission.

The owner of Just Cannabis, Gerhard, commented on a FB post distancing himself from Progrow, claiming that Just Cannabis was simply a client of Progrow. 

However, Gerhard is clearly listed as a director of both companies at CIPC.

This begs more questions...and while I couldn't even begin to contemplate the real story, what we know so far from the article, doesn't seem far off the mark.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Sadly, it does seem a full blown mission.

The owner of Just Cannabis, Gerhard, commented on a FB post distancing himself from Progrow, claiming that Just Cannabis was simply a client of Progrow. 

However, Gerhard is clearly listed as a director of both companies at CIPC.

This begs more questions...and while I couldn't even begin to contemplate the real story, what we know so far from the article, doesn't seem far off the mark.

If he is the director of both companies at CIPC, his comment certainly does not work in his favour.

While Just Cannabis may be a client of Progrow, he owns both companies still.

Wait and see how it unfolds, very likely it is a CC although maybe he did register it as a private company.

1 hour ago, PsyCLown said:

Wait and see how it unfolds, very likely it is a CC although maybe he did register it as a private company.

Since 2008, new CC's cant be registered. It was phased out. Both companies are private companies.

While directors may be buffered from civil actions penetrating their personal lives to a small extent, it is entirely different when there are criminal actions by a possibly delinquent director. The article makes mention that a 500k bank account was flattened. If the powers that be follow the money, and that money went home.....

Edited by Totemic

6 hours ago, Totemic said:

Since 2008, new CC's cant be registered. It was phased out. Both companies are private companies.

While directors may be buffered from civil actions penetrating their personal lives to a small extent, it is entirely different when there are criminal actions by a possibly delinquent director. The article makes mention that a 500k bank account was flattened. If the powers that be follow the money, and that money went home.....

I believe you can still buy a cc if it was not closed though?

If Progrow is infact in the wrong and reselling the stock he received under Just Cannabis, hopefully the guy in the UK gets something out of Progrow / Just Cannabis.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Psylecta said:

how would the coco be subpar anyway? thought it was inert and cant go "bad"?

Its not the actual material that is kak. Its the prep of the material, as well as the how and what it is blended with. You get coir, and then you get COIR. A lot of that is purely which brand is putting it's name on the label. You cannot compare products which come from BVB or Meegaa to some rando product that was purchased in Sri-Lanka. I am fully aware that the mentioned companies do source their raw product in these countries, but the quality control process is super high and the name backs up the quality. You cannot cut corners when producing these products, they soak the husks in sea water which means the EC levels are through the roof. Failing to rinse and dry the product sufficiently can/will be fatal to your crop. There are many stories of commercial nurseries loosing full blocks due the the poor prep of the substrate. 

Check out these links below, for what i would say are two of the best substrate suppliers in the world.

https://www.bvb-substrates.nl/en/

https://meegaa.nl/en/

I've only had one dealing with the company mentioned in the article, they still had a warehouse in Kya-sands, jhb. I guess this was about 5 years ago. The business i was working for at the time decided to go with another local importer.

• Like 1