Adopted Indoor

BluntKnife

Hey brothers

I have adopted my mates indoor grow tent and accessories as he moved into a smaller spot.

He has his 1 auto growing in there, Super Lemon Haze.

I think the plant is about 8/9 weeks old and the leaves have a weird color to them.

As I am new to growing as a whole and now have an indoor plant to look after as well as my outdoors, everything is still kinda new to me.

Please see pics and give advice or suggestions as to the possible deficiency, also I thought this lady would be budding up by now?

My mate a week before giving me the plant, stopped giving the plant nutrients and started giving it straight water as he had over done it with the nutrients.

I have kept the PH level of the water at about 6 - 6.3 and been feeding her every 2 - 3 days since I took over.

The light cycle he was using, which I have kept to it is, 24/7 besides the load shedding every now and then.

IMG_20200912_144130.jpg

IMG_20200912_144144.jpg

IMG_20200912_144150.jpg

IMG_20200912_144212.jpg

IMG_20200912_144117.jpg

2 minutes ago, Fridgedoor said:

Hi @BluntKnife, so this is the patient. To me this looks like a Magnesium deficiency. If that's the case (wait for other opinions too) you can fix it with Epsom salt.

I am a bit careful with my diagnosis as I never had this problem.

Yes, this is the sick lady @Fridgedoor.

Ok sweet, I will wait for more opinions as you suggest. But if I do need to add Epson salts, how do I go about making the mixture?

Do you sprinkle some on top of the medium before the next watering and just water on top or do you need to mix it with water first, so its diluted together and then water her?

2 hours ago, Bos said:

Those leaves are very dark green, think there might be some Nitrogen tox as well. Leaf tip curling may point to a rootzone issue. 

1. What medium is the plant in.

2. What nutes were used.

Need some opinions from the indoor guys.

Hey @Bos

The medium is the Freedom Farms (Green Bag) and I think he said he was using the BioBizz Range but I will confirm with him and report back.

I did notice the medium is very low in the fabric container, in my opinion, it seems to little.

Could having to little medium cause these type of issues or would having to little medium just stunt the growth?

Living soil with organic nutes, shouldn't be seeing those symtoms - if you stick to the dosages. I tried ph'ing my feeds in soil once.....my girls didnt like it, never again. With a smaller amount of medium the plant might get rootbound quicker, but I doubt it'll affect it that badly. Transplanting(carefully) is an option to consider. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bos said:

Living soil with organic nutes, shouldn't be seeing those symtoms - if you stick to the dosages. I tried ph'ing my feeds in soil once.....my girls didnt like it, never again. With a smaller amount of medium the plant might get rootbound quicker, but I doubt it'll affect it that badly. Transplanting(carefully) is an option to consider. 

Sorry @Bos, I re-read my original post and realized I missed a piece of info. My mate over did the nutrients by not mixing the correct dosages, so giving her too much. Then about a week or 2 before giving the plant to me, he flushed it with just water. Then started feeding it plan water there after. which I have carried on doing now. So this plant has definitely suffered too much nutrients. Is there anything I could do to try rectify this or basically just stick to feeding it water?

Would it be advisable to defoliate the larger leaves off to allow more light down to the lower branches at this stage or is it not safe seeing as she is in this condition?

33 minutes ago, BluntKnife said:

Sorry @Bos, I re-read my original post and realized I missed a piece of info. My mate over did the nutrients by not mixing the correct dosages, so giving her too much. Then about a week or 2 before giving the plant to me, he flushed it with just water. Then started feeding it plan water there after. which I have carried on doing now. So this plant has definitely suffered too much nutrients. Is there anything I could do to try rectify this or basically just stick to feeding it water?

Would it be advisable to defoliate the larger leaves off to allow more light down to the lower branches at this stage or is it not safe seeing as she is in this 

The flush with clean ph'd water hopefully got rid of the problem. Would have been best if you could test the ph of the runoff to confirm.

The leaf colour indicates @Fridgedoor might be onto something regarding the Mg, whether it's a lockout due to N tox we don't know.

So at some point the plant will need to get the correct ph feed with the correct nute mix. You sticking with biobizz? 

You could try half strength nute mix and see how she responds.

If the leaves aren't dead, leave them on the plant. They won't recover fully but the fresh new growth will show if she is on the mend.

Be carefull with heat, temp swings and RH - she doesn't need any more stress.

I'd also recommend some AACT if possible, always helps with stress.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bos said:

The flush with clean ph'd water hopefully got rid of the problem. Would have been best if you could test the ph of the runoff to confirm.

The leaf colour indicates @Fridgedoor might be onto something regarding the Mg, whether it's a lockout due to N tox we don't know.

So at some point the plant will need to get the correct ph feed with the correct nute mix. You sticking with biobizz? 

If the leaves aren't dead, leave them on the plant. They won't recover fully but the fresh new growth will show if she is on the mend.

Thanks for this @Bos

I am currently using the Terra Aquatica nutrients, pic below for reference.

The next feeding is today, so was thinking of trying the Epson Salt's and see how she reacts to it.

After that feed, if all is looking ok still after a few days, do you rate I should try a half dosage of Grow and Bloom mixed or rather stick to water feeding for the upcoming week before trying to add more nutes?

I have never made or used any AACT, however, I have ordered some worm castings and black strap molasses which should arrive this coming week, so that could also help out as I see a few recipes of AACT's use these 2 products.

What recipe do you use for AACT or what can you suggest in this regard?

Neuts.thumb.jpg.c32943042d6814838a24c588214bbae5.jpg

It's up to you in the end, as you have the plant in front of you and can judge best. I'd try the epsom and see how she responds. If all looks good by next feed, go in at half strength with the nutes and take it from there. 

AACT wise, I mix 25lt batches for the forest.

2 cups EWC, 2 cups garden compost, 50ml molasses, 25ml Seagrow/Fishmix.

Brew for 12-18hrs.

Optional - Seaweed extract/Kelpak, humic/fulvic acid, SST.

You can apply the AACT straight or  diluted 50% and any leftovers should keep in the fridge for about a week in a sealed container.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bos said:

It's up to you in the end, as you have the plant in front of you and can judge best. I'd try the epsom and see how she responds. If all looks good by next feed, go in at half strength with the nutes and take it from there. 

AACT wise, I mix 25lt batches for the forest.

2 cups EWC, 2 cups garden compost, 50ml molasses, 25ml Seagrow/Fishmix.

Brew for 12-18hrs.

Optional - Seaweed extract/Kelpak, humic/fulvic acid, SST.

You can apply the AACT straight or  diluted 50% and any leftovers should keep in the fridge for about a week in a sealed container.

Legend, thanks Bos!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 12:54 AM, Bos said:

Could of been a nitrogen tox cause those leaves very green but could be strain so without a pH reading pre watering vs PH reading of runoff there's no easy way to say, cause the flush definately helped but seems like washed out other nutrients too or ph i blocking uptake

if you gonna treat with Epsom add egg shells too for calcium & keep a close eye for a phosphorus deficiency if u over do it

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Psylecta said:

Could of been a nitrogen tox cause those leaves very green but could be strain so without a pH reading pre watering vs PH reading of runoff there's no easy way to say, cause the flush definately helped but seems like washed out other nutrients too or ph i blocking uptake

if you gonna treat with Epsom add egg shells too for calcium & keep a close eye for a phosphorus deficiency if u over do it

Thank you @Psylecta, I have been using a PH pen for getting my water right. Normally have it around the 6.0 / 6.5 range.

I also leave my water out for easily 24 / 48 hours before even using it, to reduce/remove the chlorine from the tap water.

I will try do the egg shells at some stage as well.

I never tested the PH reading of the run off.

Do you rate I should maybe test by doing a low nutrient dilution feed for the new clone and see how it reacts before giving the big girl some or rather be safe and keep doing the Epsom salt with adding the egg shells?

Does not look like Nitrogen toxicity to me, leaf tips are not burnt, now clawing either.

What nutes are you using - other than the epsom salts? I rate you could possibly stop with all of that and continue with your normal nutes.

If you want to add some calcium, calmag is always good and I do not see the Nitrogen doing any harm. Leaves do not seem that dark to me.

Testing the PH of run off in soil isn't necessarily going to be all that useful considering most soils have stuff in it to help buffer the PH. It's not fool proof, but it helps a bit.

You can check the EC / PPM of the run off to get an idea as to what sort of strength of nutes are in the soil.

• Like 1

Calcium and Magnesium are both important for good plant growth. Eggshell is calcium carbonate and it can swing your ph upwards. It will benefit your plants long term as it's kind of slow release, because it has to breakdown first.

If you're in a hurry...You could try the KNF (Korean natural farming) method by treating the ground eggshell with vinegar and diluting with water. (Check methods online)

Otherwise buy some ''Calmag'' (most hydro shops stock it) its got the Ca and Mg.

I have used all the above methods and still do, depending on the situation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BluntKnife said:

Thank you @Psylecta, I have been using a PH pen for getting my water right. Normally have it around the 6.0 / 6.5 range.

I also leave my water out for easily 24 / 48 hours before even using it, to reduce/remove the chlorine from the tap water.

I will try do the egg shells at some stage as well.

I never tested the PH reading of the run off.

Do you rate I should maybe test by doing a low nutrient dilution feed for the new clone and see how it reacts before giving the big girl some or rather be safe and keep doing the Epsom salt with adding the egg shells?

Nice one bro, then you golden, as long as you know your pH fixing any deficiency is a a whole lot simpler but more importantly it prevents them from happening in the first place - much less guesswork which is what I'm dealing with now I don't know what my PH is and its opened me up to all sorts

I've got my vegging plants in a seperate grow basket (bout 6/8 weeks old) along with 1 small flowering plant in the same basket (runt) and I started noticing the veging guys started showing deficiencies while the flowering ones fan leaves went deep purple, within 2 days gradually bout 80% of the fan leaves are deep purple (tiny burn on edges, almost brownish in centre) and its progressed to the lowest new growth so its a mobile nutrient - what makes me scratch my head is that trying to fix the N/mag issues with the vegging guys helped fuckall which made me realise i must of went overkill on organics either way have flushed the kak out of it & today the veg guys looking better and the purpling seems to have stopped on new growth with the lady so maybe I'm out the woods - lol  until I get a pH pen I can't be sure

if your pH is sorted yeah I don't see any reason not to start feeding the big girls - maybe the other guys can add in

but yeah the difference in pH between what goes in vs what goes out you can work out how much nutes your plants are uptaking etc

Edited by Psylecta
Unanswered question
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bos said:

Calcium and Magnesium are both important for good plant growth. Eggshell is calcium carbonate and it can swing your ph upwards. It will benefit your plants long term as it's kind of slow release, because it has to breakdown first.

If you're in a hurry...You could try the KNF (Korean natural farming) method by treating the ground eggshell with vinegar and diluting with water. (Check methods online)

Otherwise buy some ''Calmag'' (most hydro shops stock it) its got the Ca and Mg.

@Bos I've prepped a batch of calcium carbonate using this method - im just not sure how much of it to dilute in a litre? Teaspoon, tablespoon etc

13 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Does not look like Nitrogen toxicity to me, leaf tips are not burnt, now clawing either.

What nutes are you using - other than the epsom salts? I rate you could possibly stop with all of that and continue with your normal nutes.

If you want to add some calcium, calmag is always good and I do not see the Nitrogen doing any harm. Leaves do not seem that dark to me.

Testing the PH of run off in soil isn't necessarily going to be all that useful considering most soils have stuff in it to help buffer the PH. It's not fool proof, but it helps a bit.

You can check the EC / PPM of the run off to get an idea as to what sort of strength of nutes are in the soil.

On this lady, I personally havent added any nutes at all besides recently adding some epsom salts.

My mate who's setup this is/was, had made a mess up of adding too much fertilizer or something. I thought it was the BioBizz range but after confirming with him again, it was some random stuff from a Nursery.

On a few of the older leaves, the tips of the leaves are bent downwards and there are a few slight "burnt" looking area's, but the new growth is looking much better so far.

I have been using the Terra Aquatic nutes on my outdoor plants, so far they have been responding well.

Was thinking of doing some for this lady and see how she reacts or rather, just stick to the ph water, epsom salts and look into the calmag.

11 hours ago, Bos said:

Thank you Bos, I will look into the KNF methods online as well as looking into getting some Calmag.

From the sounds of it, Calmag seems to be the answer 🙂

10 hours ago, Psylecta said:

Nice one bro, then you golden, as long as you know your pH fixing any deficiency is a a whole lot simpler but more importantly it prevents them from happening in the first place - much less guesswork which is what I'm dealing with now I don't know what my PH is and its opened me up to all sorts

I've got my vegging plants in a seperate grow basket (bout 6/8 weeks old) along with 1 small flowering plant in the same basket (runt) and I started noticing the veging guys started showing deficiencies while the flowering ones fan leaves went deep purple, within 2 days gradually bout 80% of the fan leaves are deep purple (tiny burn on edges, almost brownish in centre) and its progressed to the lowest new growth so its a mobile nutrient - what makes me scratch my head is that trying to fix the N/mag issues with the vegging guys helped fuckall which made me realise i must of went overkill on organics either way have flushed the kak out of it & today the veg guys looking better and the purpling seems to have stopped on new growth with the lady so maybe I'm out the woods - lol  until I get a pH pen I can't be sure

if your pH is sorted yeah I don't see any reason not to start feeding the big girls - maybe the other guys can add in

but yeah the difference in pH between what goes in vs what goes out you can work out how much nutes your plants are uptaking etc

Lekker, shot bro

4 hours ago, BluntKnife said:

On this lady, I personally havent added any nutes at all besides recently adding some epsom salts.

My mate who's setup this is/was, had made a mess up of adding too much fertilizer or something. I thought it was the BioBizz range but after confirming with him again, it was some random stuff from a Nursery.

On a few of the older leaves, the tips of the leaves are bent downwards and there are a few slight "burnt" looking area's, but the new growth is looking much better so far.

I have been using the Terra Aquatic nutes on my outdoor plants, so far they have been responding well.

Was thinking of doing some for this lady and see how she reacts or rather, just stick to the ph water, epsom salts and look into the calmag.

You don't want to over do it with the epsom salts, you can start using CalMag but it contains nitrogen as well.

I feel you're better off using the Terra Aquatics nutes as it should contain a full range of nutrients and not just Calcium, Magnesium & Nitrogen like CalMag.

Possibly best to start with a lighter dose of nutes and work your way up as you monitor the plant.

• Like 2