Dank grows

Dank

I got permission from my better half to sink a 600l tub into the ground as a goldfish pond.

The bonus, i have a brand new 600l raised soil bed to get to work on.

The soil is a sandy and somewhat clayish mix, i will do quite a bit to get it ready for planting in October or perhaps November.

First step i did was to add some CaMg in the form of Dolomite lime, as well as some DE.

Adding calcium to clay soils can help release trapped mg in the clay. It also improves the soil structure, i will add a few amendments of Ca before the bed is finished.

I don't use bonemeal anymore for various reasons. 

Ontop of that I added some semi decomposed leaf compost, and covered the leaf compost with homemade compost before tilling it all in.

20200807_153625.jpg

20200807_161810.jpg

20200807_162539.jpg

20200807_164813.jpg

• Like 6

Just now, SkunkPharm said:

What is the bone meal story?

The bonemeal attracts some unwanted visitors like rats and other animals.

The other reason is the questionable meat industry, growth hormones, gmo feeds, etc. 

Some bonemeal in the states are coming up with very high traces of heavy metals in tests.

• Like 3

I added 40 liters of old donkey manure and about 5 liters of bran.

Crushed most of the manure and tilled it all in again.

The manure will help to add more carbon to the soil, some Nitrogen as well as loosening the mix.

As it breaks down it will benefit both the bacteria and fungi in the soil.

There are many benefits adding some good quality manure to soils, however this is best done a month or two beforehand.

20200808_145955.jpg

20200808_163205.jpg

20200809_120817.jpg

Edited by Dank
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, 1000Hills Nursery said:

👏Super share bro. Looking forward to seeing this grow. I for one gonna take this opportunity to learn how to prep my soil for the upcoming season. 

Awesome man, im going to try make a nice "Madalas" supersoil, or living soil.

I wont be buying as many inputs as normal supersoil recipes, so for a real Super Soil mix best to search online.

For the Madala mix, u came too the right place 😁

Main goal is a mineral rich, probiotic (beneficial microbes etc) soil with higher fungi counts than most soils.

• Like 2

Awesome man, im going to try make a nice "Madalas" supersoil, or living soil.
I wont be buying as many inputs as normal supersoil recipes, so for a real Super Soil mix best to search online.
For the Madala mix, u came too the right place 
Main goal is a mineral rich, probiotic (beneficial microbes etc) soil with higher fungi counts than most soils.
Sounds and looks good@Dank
Found a good source of composted herbivorous manure for my mix.
Research indicates rabbit manure is best apparently. Would like to try it one day.

You going to use AACT on that mound?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

Sounds and looks good@Dank
Found a good source of composted herbivorous manure for my mix.
Research indicates rabbit manure is best apparently. Would like to try it one day.

You going to use AACT on that mound?

Thanks @Bospatrollie2 that sounds awesome man, yeh bunny poop is good manure no doubt!

I saw a cool vid about a guy wormfarming with mainly bunnah poop, some of his bunnies are so smart the do their business directly into his worm bins.

I have been doing a lot of compost extract lately, along with fpj's. I like the low effort compared to the AACT, but i will do few teas here and there.

Going to innoculate with EM-ProSoil when i add the first water, probably today. Then have some compost extracts ready every week.

What AACT mix would you skeem best for new soils?

Edited by Dank

Thanks @Bospatrollie2 that sounds awesome man, yeh bunny poop is good manure no doubt!
I saw a cool vid about a guy wormfarming with mainly bunnah poop, some of his bunnies are so smart the do their business directly into his worm bins.
I have been doing a lot of compost extract lately, along with fpj's. I like the low effort compared to the AACT, but i will do few teas here and there.
Going to innoculate with EM-ProSoil when i add the first water, probably today. Then going to have some compost extracts ready every week.
What AACT mix would you skeem best for new soils?
Like my AACT's bruh, brewing every week almost. They can be a pita but the benefits outweigh the efforts for me as I don't use any commercial ''myco'' products anywhere in my grow.

For new soil I do a combo of 3 to 4 innoculations usually after a bi weekly turning. I try to vary between bacteria dom and fungi dom.
2x own compost AACT (with soil from established plants)
2x wild AACT from local field and forest.
Molasses and Seagrow being the main catalysts.

As well as after seedling transplant if I can help it.

Going to use SST's this year as well for Veg and bloom and got some bottled seaweed FPJ that will be going in the mix.

What mix do you prefer?

• Like 1

Awe i am planning to go compost extracts from my homemade compost, then i also got various stages of home made leaf compost that I also use for extracts.

Will fire up the AACT before I plant, and be sure to collect some wild imo's as well.

Like with SST's and FPJ' i like most mixes, any beans we sprouting for salads here i get the runoff. I mix straight into watering mixture, no brewing.

FPJ there are loads i like, but dandelion and comfrey prob my best, dandies in veg and comfrey for flower.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1

I added a bit of wood ash, and 10l of well aged leaf compost. 

I have this box of EcoVit lying around, so added roughly 250g before mixing again.

After some tilling i gave the first water, mixed EM ProSoil at about 1ml a liter.

Drainage is very poor at the moment, but to be expected with the clay present. 

Little nugshot of a ExodusCheese bud getting ready for picking.

20200810_164645.jpg

20200811_132257.jpg

20200811_132524.jpg

20200811_150500.jpg

20200811_152406.jpg

• Like 4

Brother, this is cool...

I've heard, the Bone meal is like fast food for Microbes, and that they love it, but as with fast food, its unhealthy and causes them to get lazy and couch potatoes, haha, if I understand it correctly. 

When you mentioned SST, is that what I think you mean, the tea?

Added, how is that EM pro soil, much better than Biodyne, I saw someone mentioned it was bits floating in water, could have been you. Also the mycorrhizae fungi was just rocks and dead root🤔

Edited by StickyD420
Added
  • Like 1

Thanks @StickyD420 :-rolled , with the bonemeal im not saying its "bad stuff", but keeping rodents away, while avoiding possible heavy metals. 

Soil biology loves bonemeal and when sourced correctly I would say its a great ammendment. 

These issues are also present with manure from commercial dairies, etc. But on a hobby scale its quite easy to source high quality ingredients. 

@Bospatrollie2 mentioned the SST SeedSproutTea, and it is great for aminos, enzymes and natural growth stimulants.

What i meant to say is I use SeedSprout water without brewing it further.

Not so familiar with biodyne, I use the EM pro cause easily available for me. Like @Bospatrollie2 also mentioned, he makes all the imos himself and no need to buy myco etc.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1

Started a little FPJ cocktail on Wednesday, some Dandelion, Nasturtium, raw Aloe Vera, a few clover type leaves, some clover roots and a small uprooted male plant.

Chopped it up a bit in a 5l ice cream tub, added roughly a quarter cup of brown sugar and filled it up with rain water. Now I try to stir it once every day for at least 7 days.

I tilled the mound over again, added more of my home made compost as well as 10l of perlite for a start.

Everything I added up to now is mainly to innoculate the soil with beneficial microbiology, increase carbon, as well as increasing food sources for microbes.

Without enough food sources, carbon and air available, microbial populations can not thrive.

20200812_125245.jpg

20200813_165321.jpg

20200813_170320.jpg

20200813_171858.jpg

20200813_171927.jpg

Edited by Dank
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, StickyD420 said:

Wow brother, just wow, super impressed 🙌

Thank for the kind words man, old hobby of mine this 🌱

Stay tuned, still just tinkering under the hood, got alotta work to do still before she is fine tuned fo summah! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1000Hills Nursery said:

@Dank

How's a little real estate there... Just enough for 1 plant :rastabanana... And plus inter provincial travel now permitted so I can come once a week for IPM and pruning etc. You just need to water her for me every now and then...

Awe we can talk about it :-rolled and hopefully watering and IPM will be minimal so we can spend our time chowing cake instead  🎂

• Like 2

Been thinking about a waterlogged situation at the bottom of the mound with my soil being a bit on the clayish side.

To try avoid this i dug to ground level, added a good amount of perlite, perhaps 20 or 30 liters worth.

I tilled this over before adding back the soil that was removed from the top heap.

20200821_152309.jpg

20200821_151513.jpg

20200821_153037.jpg

• Like 4