Seed Germination Issue

Slartibarfast

Hi, I have been trying to germinate this strawberry cough seed with no success. Followed my normal strategy of popping it in water till it cracks then placing it in an eazi plug for it to sprout from.

So far it doesn't seem to want to sprout, and when I check beneath the soil this is what I see. Any advice? Is this little guy a write off?

8994a6698a604b8c815b6370a2aea8c1.jpg24af032ccbff4555ffda6068fef1afdc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

If it popped and stopped growing.. dud.. if never popped.. dead seed ^^ If you have waited only around 2 days, give it a few more, if you have nothing after 5, dead. Never had anything coming after 5 days wet.

When you glass the seed.. i do not recommend to let it soak for longer as 12-15 hours. I prefer to plate none popped seeds after that time, keep em moist instead of having a swim. 

So not that you did anything wrong.. seed might just be to old, lethal genetics or had bad storage conditions.

• Like 2

Thanks, it did crack open in the water after 1 day then I put it in the plug. All I can see is a bit of white of what I think should be the stem but it never broke through the soil.

I have started germinating another in a moist plug. Hoping it will break through by the weekend

So the other day I did my first pop directly to soil as it was an auto. It eventually came right after some surgery (kept going in circles). Then the cat destroyed it while digging in my pot.

Needless to say, that one I got worried and dug it up a few times. Might of just been a bad seed, but point being I think to wait. I now popped another auto, didn't mess with it, and within 3-4 days its head was sticking out. I think as long as you are giving it the moisture and warmth it needs and planting at the right depth, you should be good. I also found, as mentioned, that with the temps right now, a heating pad under helps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Slartibarfast said:

Moved onto my 3rd seed now, trying direct in soil. Been in there around 4 days now with no sign of germination. I have never had issues like this before, worried that they're just bad seeds

This is the worst. Many successful past attempts and then one round is just terrible. It's enough to make one doubt everything they know 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ahh man, sounds like bad luck.

I personally like to soak in water for 12 hours or so, then I put them into paper towel and into a zip lock bag to ensure it stays moist.

Then I put it into my grow area to keep it warm, after a few days when the tap root is showing I then plant into soil / coco.

51 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Ahh man, sounds like bad luck.

I personally like to soak in water for 12 hours or so, then I put them into paper towel and into a zip lock bag to ensure it stays moist.

Then I put it into my grow area to keep it warm, after a few days when the tap root is showing I then plant into soil / coco.

Sure fire way... Agree.. you just can't  go wrong with this method.. If you still struggle, the seeds are shite...:-peace