Perfect Seedling Light

Kiteloop

Looking for some recommendations to the ideal light for seed starting, before they go under the main grow light.
Want to avoid "stretching" at all costs!
T-5 grow lights are great, but pricey, so looking for a good alternative.

• Like 1

Seedlings are a lot more resilient than you think... I mean... They grow great under the sun? 

The trick here isn't the intensity of the light... But more the light heat from your lights... 

But if you wanna be on the safe side... Start them far away under your grow light, and then once the first true leaves are out... The Lil seedling can get all the light she can get to reduce stretch... 

If you see stretch... It's because the seedling is searching for better/more intense light... 

In the below post you can see the Clones that was veged under these lights. It's  a affordable alternative.. We would all lime to have the Gavita of our dreams.. But with the shit going on sunlight or garage light must do... I will not try and flower with them though.. That might be pushing it a bit.. Click on the arrow to the right.

Edited by Stinger96

If you currently have LED strips or QB's, just dim your lights and lower them - that is what I do.

Alternatively what @SkunkPharm has posted I imagine would work pretty well and barely uses any power too.

A seedling will always stretch a bit, however I find they get to a point where I want them to start stretching more as they get a little bigger when I am doing my training.

What light are you using @Kiteloop?

Just now, Kiteloop said:

@SkunkPharm  36W total seems a little low to me tho..
Did you see good growth from your clones?

How big do you want to grow your plants under the lights? If you are looking for a veg light buy a propper grow light and dont mess around with these. I only use these untill the clones have rooted. Then They go in the veg tent.

3 minutes ago, Kiteloop said:

@SkunkPharm  36W total seems a little low to me tho..
Did you see good growth from your clones?

Clones and seedlings don't need a lot of light...

Depending on your setup, it may be easier for you just to use your main grow lights - if you can dim them and then start to up the power as the plants get bigger.

@PsyCLown  i have not popped my seeds yet. I have a couple of 85w CFL fixtures lying around, but i recall last season, that the seedlings stretched alot using these CFL lights.
My main grow light is a 320w LED Quantum Bar setup with Samsung Diodes, but has not arrived yet. TIA 🙄

@Kiteloop the option I mentioned in DM is a thousand times better then the options mentioned here.

#no offense guys

Acdc express 

Order a FL-150-CW 

I just placed an order for an extra 2 for veg. 

I successfully vegged 13 plants into a jungle with just one of them. 

The prices of lighting is madness... This light is R400 and it will crush T5 and compact flourecent and strip lights 

Let me know if I need to put down more info on the light? 

This light puts out about half the light of a qb288 301b diodes. 

A QB 288 costs around 4k for everything if I'm not mistaken, draws 120w.

Acdc don't have decent flowering lights... But my fuck... This FL-150-CW is great for veg and has a rediculously sweet price point

Edited by CreX
Extra info
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kiteloop said:

@PsyCLown  i have not popped my seeds yet. I have a couple of 85w CFL fixtures lying around, but i recall last season, that the seedlings stretched alot using these CFL lights.
My main grow light is a 320w LED Quantum Bar setup with Samsung Diodes, but has not arrived yet. TIA 🙄

I don't see the stretch being much of a problem, worst case put together something to ensure the seedling stays upright until it starts to strengthen up and can support itself again - which is typically a few days at most. Use the CFL's for now since you already have them and then switch over to the QB once you receive it and just run it on low power and you can run it relatively close to the seedlings too if you'd like.

EDIT: If you already have CFL's, and a QB on the way, I don't think you need to waste money on an ACDC light.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...