Outdoor growing during the cold winter days upcoming

Good day Guys,

Trust everyone is well stoned!

I am a newbie in the cultivation of weed , living in the south of Johannesburg.

any tips regarding growing outdoors through out the cold season are welcomed, Currently building my own greenhouse to cover the babies i have growing :

Critical Kush

Mazar i shariff

Gorrilla glue 

OG kush

Bubbleberry glue ( received them from buyseedsa.com)

Gorrila glue in flowering , the rest is still veging.

Any tips and tricks to make it through the cold weather welcomed!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Hoop house. Is probably the easiest to build. There are lots of plans and videos on the net. Green house plastic is cheap and eazily obtained. If you want a more permanent structure the clear polycarbonate roof sheets with plastic or net sides. You must also think how would this structude be cooled in summer. Mabe construct it so that the sides can be raised in summer for better ventilation. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

https://2fast4buds.com/news/top-10-autoflowering-strains-for-cold-climates

This might help with a bit of info. I have a buddy growing only autos, and it seems like the Ruderalis genes are a bit more cold hardy than a lot of the photoperiods around. They should also get a bit bigger in veg vs a photoperiod planted in winter. Hope this helps a little 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Anything that helps keep the frost off will help a lot. Although there hasn't been that much frost in Joburg the last couple of winters. Make sure they're getting lank daylight. Might get some purps from the low temps. 
SkunkPharm is right about thinking about summer in your design. Poly/plastic green house materials can limit airflow and heat release in summer.

Hoop houses are soooo easy and quick to assemble.

• Agree 1

Well, if you want to grow outside... You need outdoor lights to control the light cycle easier. 

Without that, I hope you are nearing harvest because weed won't grow outdoor in the low hours of light available

Well, if you want to grow outside... You need outdoor lights to control the light cycle easier. 
Without that, I hope you are nearing harvest because weed won't grow outdoor in the low hours of light available
Read through this and had a quick question, one of my friends is in a similar situation... What about growing autos outdoors?

I know they won't reach their full potential size due to less light, but could someone effectively harvest year round with autos outside? Is it advisable

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

You can. I do not have experience with Autos nor do I have fond memories of trying a batch. None the less.. If you stagger your germination of four seeds every 3 weeks for 3 mnts, for example.. you'll be able to have a pretty decent perpetual grow going through winter and have you enough dank till a propper photoperiod harvest in October and this time next year.. 20 propper gene autos will do the trick as long as you have desent soil.. They do not need much nute wise but good soil is key.

Be prepared to spend money on good seeds. Don't bugger arround with cheap seeds. There is allot of knowledge on Autos on the forum and guys with lank experience.. Read some of their Threads.. @CreX is one of the guys that has fire auto grow diaries.

Greenhouse will work depending on what part of the country you are from. Anything is possible.

:-peace

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Supplemental light outdoors is essential to control when your plants flip as mentioned by @CreX . A small 10W LED Flood light is all you need in your greenhouse.

Or you could do it like a boss and control a whole nursery like @420sake without power from the grid.

Photos can be flowered outdoors year round. Well atleast here on the East Coast. Best way being Veg them 24hrs indoors. Throw them outside for almost instantaneous flowering regardless of how short the nights are. We use this method for sifting through seeds to see what makes the cut for a space in the flower room. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

It is an absolute pleasure to my soul watching 32 girlz speeding into bloom presently - we stretched them from end Feb in the nursery.

Basically put in two 20W full spectrum outdoor LED spots - bought from Sunfor for the job and driven by an Atom450 built for us by Pitt Industries.

Gave me 7 hours a night to play with and we reloaded the generator from a 100W solar panel when the sun was good. With cloud I used Eskom.

I am super greatful to @1000Hills Nursery  for the experimental cuts - first time for me growing spec genes of superior quality in pots in a 12/12 scenario.

We do 3m trees in the garden normally for bho oil and this year is the first time light became an issue due to a bad hail storm end December.

It works and I am scoping to buy a second Atom. Means we could do a permanent rotation in the greenhouse - maybe 4 cycles per yer. Yes please :-flyinghi

Makes for interesting future projects we are planning.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Hey Guys, Howzit growing?

many thanks for the input, my dad hooked me up with some solar powered lights  they about 10 to 20watts , nothing dramatic, the plan is to continue building my greenshouse, with this lockdown issue i cant get to stores that easily but looking at the polycarbonate plastic route.

Im nearing harvest on the gg4 , mazar is growing like a monster though and the OG kush.

Will post some pics when i can, 

Once again thanks for the input appreciate every stoners input !

To add on to the light cycle , the babies gets direct sunlight from around 9Am to latest 17H00 then the sun sets 

so about 8 hours of light?

Should i add another hour or two to the light cycle with the lights my pops sorted me out with?  Thinking of mounting them in the two back corners of my greenhouse .

The Gorrilla  glue (flowering) are in pots so i move them in and out of the shed, all plants received total darkness untill i open them up around 8 h 30 everymorning.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a guy hooking me up month end with lights... I haven't had the time to update anything lately...

Frost came through and destroyed most of my plants so I gotta start over however it's been a great journey I learned alot. 

My next grow will be indoors that's for sure. Getting my tent lights humidifier and fans ready..