NORML ZA: Cannabis South Africa Roundup

Chris Jay

NORML South Africa was established in 2008 and has been active in the growing cannabis culture scene. Over the past year, NORML has hosted activism events in conjunction with other cannabis organisations and still supports the Dagga Party of South Africa, a registered pro-cannabis political party.  

Cannabis Law

On the 18th of September 2018, Judge Dennis Davis passed a landmark ruling in the Cape Town High Court that cannabis essentially be decriminalized for private adult use. Although there are no defined limitations to this progressive ruling, a lot of arrests have still been taking place. Fields of Green For All in South Africa is an activist group that has been fighting the laws for several years and they support people through their organisation that have been either charged or arrested for possession of cannabis. They are still dealing with daily calls and emails from victims who have been arrested. 

Full Article

• Like 2

"and even a cannabis dispensary retail store are now doing business.."

Thought ol' uncle Russ was in the slammer 🙆

Maybe Cannapax not the only cannabis dispensary retail store around.. although many Cannapax did open under alternative trading names. Wonder if they are still operating, the ones that didn't get directly shutdown

Otherwise, I'll agree that cannabis in South Africa has achieved quite a bit in 2019, which the article wishes to express. I've spoken to people during the year I would never have though would have been remotely interested or know of cannabis, and I thino the populace is opening up to it gradually.

As far as I understand, the flower and concentrate cannabis cups come across as close-knit and probably for obvious reasons. I haven't come across many open invites to such events. But I like you pushing the Agricultural Show as a means of displaying one's plants to those who would usually not come across it otherwise

Awesome stuff @Chris Jay, keep it coming ✌

• Like 1

Its been a magic year in South Africa, and precisely that. It was a very quick article to show that we can normlalize cannabis and how it is becoming normlised. You have not seen anything yet, this years 113th Agri Show is going to be epic. Eventhough they gave me a little bit of hell last year, made me sign addendums, I pushed it as hard as possible. And it was a huge success for the show and entertainment. They have offered me space at this years show so that cannabis companies can directly market their products to farmers. Plus this years upcoming show is 200th year "celebration" of settlers arriving in SA, so it should be a banger, as long as EFF does not get wind and burn everything down. 2020 Agri Show I am pushing for a cannabis category, hoping all the wankers that dissed the plants last year put their money where their mouth is. I have a black poison from GreensmokeRoom I am entering, its going to be a whopper. One local guy said he would need to get a crane to enter the plant he will grow. Entries for each plant are less than R20 and they will be judged by qualified horticulturists for structure, aroma etc. Unfortunately " No Smoking", but there will be a smoke free zone! 

Yes all these cups have to be careful, it is not legal and in reality people are being arrested every day in SA, beaten abused by SAPS. So the more we do, the more we normalize and continue the fight the better for everyone.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Nostrovia said:

If only my babies wasn't stolen last weekend....😭Had a huge selection of different strains outdoors. Most bought from Expo / Gsr

Aah man... I feel your pain. I lost 5 last season. It was only bag seed but after putting in all the effort just to have them stolen sucks balls..

:-peace

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Jay said:

@Nostrovia That is kak. Be careful of who you speak to and share with. Some of the "nicest people" will rip people.

I'm like in the center of town man everyone that walks by can smell the good good plus there's a college and a few clubs in my proximity. Caught the bunch on camera but have no idea who they are.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Stinger96 said:

Aah man... I feel your pain. I lost 5 last season. It was only bag seed but after putting in all the effort just to have them stolen sucks balls..

:-peace

Like 1k worth in seeds gone plus water/nutrients/soil mix .... I've installed motion sensors so next time i'm gonna F#$K them up.

• Like 2

Hahaha - filled with paint @Bakstein420 

But still - theft aint cool and it is cool to have the law of consequence be sooner than later.

@Chris Jay sorry we hijacking your thread, do you think the mindsets of these dudes that rip off another brother's work are fixed by 'entitlement' attitude? How do we stop this in our neighborhoods? Won't be solved with BBEEE.

Are you involved with NORML? I ask to become aware of how to be involved, to help this craft into the water. Am a member of FieldsofGreenForAll and rallying here in my community to cross pollenate experience with local growers. Thank for your prompt on the article.

Edited by 420sake
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

No sweat guys, we are south africans and hijacking is part of our culture!!!

Yes NORML was functional, most guys moved over to DaggaCouple to help them assist in everything they needed, and developed it into FOGFA, HighAlert and growing cannabis in Lesotho. And damn good of them. Its been on ice for a couple years and just got it up and running again since getting back into cannabis. I am NORML, there is no one else on board at the moment. I am looking for people to help, cause I am working on a couple of projects:

1. Agricultural Show - 3 months time.
2. Release of Roelf van Rooyen, actually signed his presidential pardon today about 3pm on a dusty road with parol officers.
3. African genetics project ( worldwide )

So I guess I need all the help I can get.

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 1

Awesome of you. You can help in WC. I am based in EC. NORML has always assisted with the Global Marijuana March. Just not to sure who is doing it yet? I can and will find out or possibly you could lead it. I warn you its task of note.

Also depending on your interests, options and resources. There are many ways. Drop me a mail and we talk further. Thank you for offering, its hugely needed.

Lol, I once smoked a joint with Dana Beal in a drug rehab centre. He is known as an original yippie and is the founder of the Global Marijuana March. He wears cowboy boots outside his jeans. And just looks entertaining. Anyway just after I met him he was arressted and prosecuted for transporting large quanties of MJ in the USA.

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 1

No issues with effort to do activist support. I am based in KZN Chris, and to date, I have only had interest from Rick Simpson when he came out in 2008. We shared recipes at the time and he was keen to setup local support for Phoenix Tears. Now I see that David Gemmel has the mantle. Also torched my stack that year as I was under obs apparently at the time. Always been able to stay quiet out here in the hills.

At my age, I would not see myself running road shows, but I am a keen advocator for medicinal causes as well as for allowing local folk to run a sustainable income with weed. Education is the way to go, not really legislation. Regulation would be the solution, seeing not one person has ever died from use.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...