GSR Auto's Slow/No Grow

Bakstein420

Hi 420

I have grown a few outdoor plants but never made it to harvest due to garden services, mad dog etc and so decided to try indoor to protect my babies.

I purchased some auto's from gsr, I'm a big fan of northern lights.

https://www.greensmokeroomseeds.com/index.php?_route_=sa-local-stock/auto-local/nothern-berry-gold-feminised-seeds&limit=50

https://www.greensmokeroomseeds.com/index.php?_route_=sa-local-stock/auto-local/auto-northern-blueberry-lights-feminised-seeds&limit=50

Since this was the first time using purchased seeds, I decided to use rockwool cubes and a humidity dome. I soaked the seeds in ph'd declorinated water for 12 hours (they had sank to the bottom) then placed them in the soaked rockwool cubes in a humidity dome and stuck them in the cupboard. 

After 7 days nothing happened, so I carefully opened up the rockwool to find 1 seed just starting a tap root while the 2nd seed showed no sign change.

Contacting GSR they recommended I place the humidity domes in a sunny spot, which I did. 

It is now 4 days later and the seed that did crack is showing really slow progress (pic 1) while the 2nd seed still hasn't popped.

Since this was also my first time using rockwool I suspected that could be the problem. I took 2 more GSR seeds and used my usual technique that I have had great success with bag seed.

Soak seeds in ph'd dechlorinated water for 12 hours, place on wet kitchen towel, put in zip lock bag and leave under modem.

After 4 days 1 seed has just cracked the shell (pic 2) but once again there is nothing happening with the 2nd seed.

Both times it was the north berry gold that showed progress, albeit slow progress. The other strain seems to have no interest in germinating.

I am based in Durban so I doubt temperature or humidity could be an issue. Now that you know the story, please point out what I am doing wrong 

20191025_172951.jpg

20191025_172836.jpg

• Like 2

I've so far had 100% success rate with the paper towel method.

1123060166_images(32).jpeg.ad669ddd74b5930dbec9264bdf3e2116.jpeg

You can still take your seeds and do this method, even so many days after starting to attempt germination. Sometimes a seed can take up to 10 days to pop. It's luck of the draw, but try the method above.

What I also like to do is place the germination setup (ie your two plates, paper towel and seeds) on top of a refrigerator. The low constant heat is nice for the seeds.

Plain old tap water is also fine, as long as it isn't from Flint you should be ok. 

I think the trick is constant moisture but not drowning in water; a little bit of heat; and the seeds must be in darkness.

Good luck @Bakstein420

• Like 2

I'm not sure where GSR get there in-house branded seeds from. Probably bulk seed bank. I've had issues with GSRs in-house seeds in the past. Poor germination and also plants that are not what they supposed to be. 100% indicas growing like landrace sativas.

Okay getting back to what to do. 1st thing take off the dome. Domes are not good for germinating seeds(especially in durbs right now) as is promotes bad fungi that increases the chances off damping off when they do sprout.

Pop the seeds in some damp coco or dirt or squeeze out some of that moisture from the rock wool. You need the medium to start to dry up a little to promote that sprouted tap root to grow. Now you don't want it to completely dry out. A misting here and there. And also  keep it in the dark till it sprouts. 

Give it a week. After that take this as a lesson and rather buy quality seeds in sealed breeders packs. Dark Devil Auto by sweet seeds is one decent stable auto that I've grown and is available locally nowadays. Do some research on international grow diaries before you hit that checkout button.

• Like 2

Everyone has a slightly different way to germinate seeds. Many ways will work.

I like to soak in water for 12 hours, I often use a bit of trich too when doing the soak. I use distilled water but many use tap water without issues.
Then I use the woolies bleach free paper towel and put the seed on there and dump the water onto the paper towel to wet it. I fold it and into a zip lock bag it goes. Between two saucers and into my veg area as its warm there.
Often in 2 or 3 days there is a sprouted seed which I then carefully remove with tweezers and place into the desired medium.

Out of the many seeds I've popped, only had 2 not take and I feel it was due to bad seeds as the method remained the same for all seeds.
I often pop multiple seeds at the same time, so it's always the same conditions too.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok so the seed that was showing growth seems to have given up, the tap root looks thin an discoloured

With regards to the other 3 seeds, nothing happening.

Not sure what to do here... chuck them in soil and see what happens or throw in the towel and start over?

20191028_065950.jpg

Edited by Bakstein420
Upload pic

So after chatting with Steve at GSR, he has kindly agreed to replace the seeds with my next order.

This means I need to order another set of beans to get the replacements.

I don't see anything offered in breeder packs so I am looking for recommendations.

Doesn't have to be auto, but a smaller plant would suit my grow space.

Anyone familiar with their seeds that can point me in the right direction?

So Steve was true to his word and sent through replacement seeds.

They actually arrived the following morning after talking to him, very fast delivery as it usually takes 2 days.

I followed @Ill_Evan's illustration and took @Mambawana's advice and ditched the dome.

6 days later and all 3 have sprouted and are starting with their second set of true leaves.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bakstein420 said:

So Steve was true to his word and sent through replacement seeds.

They actually arrived the following morning after talking to him, very fast delivery as it usually takes 2 days.

I followed @Ill_Evan's illustration and took @Mambawana's advice and ditched the dome.

6 days later and all 3 have sprouted and are starting with their second set of true leaves.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Great success!

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 10:41 AM, Bakstein420 said:

So after chatting with Steve at GSR, he has kindly agreed to replace the seeds with my next order.

This means I need to order another set of beans to get the replacements.

I don't see anything offered in breeder packs so I am looking for recommendations.

Doesn't have to be auto, but a smaller plant would suit my grow space.

Anyone familiar with their seeds that can point me in the right direction?

They don't still have the Apollo's Poison autos I take it? They sent me 2 as freebies last year and they were unbelievable - pulled over 130g dry from the one auto (pictured below).

Unfortunately my experience with some of their other beans haven't been as good, Supa Gorilla Cookies was a runt and yielded under 15g indoors. 

54510917_2171013922954870_6047659750753277719_n.thumb.jpg.b42327d90c3c748da96c22e3ccc063fb.jpg

• Like 1