Best way to purge BHO

Lukeski

Hi All,
I'm new to the dab world and I have some BHO that when checked, seemed to still have residues of butane - it burnt when I lit it.

I don't have a vacuum pump or any proper equipment - is there a way to purge all the butane in my kitchen?

Much appreciated.

You will never remove all the butane without a vacuum pump , you want the butane to be under 50ppm for safe consumption . I would reccomend after extracting with butane dissolve it in ethanol which will remove all the butane and then evaporate the ethanol off . This will give you a safe product for consumption. Butane is non polar and ethanol is a bi polar solvent so butane will give you a cleaner product but is harder to get rid of. Ethanol on the other hand is easier to get rid of but will give you a contaminated product , that's why I would reccomend first blasting with butane then using the ethanol to purge the butane 

Hot water baths and time will only remove so much butane and will destroy your canabanoids . Heat will also ruin a good extract , never go above 38 degrees 

Edited by Green Leaf Organics
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...

Yo yo - the temperature issue. Your advice is good GLO. I have used a coffee heater for ages, but it gets around 80C. I do not like using Alcohol due to its effects on body.

I recently got a Vacuum system to purge with. Found that heat is still best way to remove traces of butane whilst vacuuming. Will be experimenting with low heat and long purges to see if I can improve my process.

I always thought of heat being the vector to decarboxilation if it is managed.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:28 AM, Lukeski said:

Thanks Peeps!!!  You Rock!!

Is the definitive test to see if it burns?

Goodness, I would not play with flames around the oil. It will provide a signal, but its the rate of burn that leaves me being careful. Please be aware that butane will pool on the floor due to temperature and its own SG. Check the rooftop blow offs on YT.

• Like 1

Some feedback:

So after all the input, this is what I did:  I got a large mason jar, turned the lid inside out, so that it would allow some airflow, lightly folded the goo in a "packet" of parchment paper and I burped the jar as often as I would fresh herb.  Walaa!!

1 month later I took a look and it was as hard as candy - wooohoo!!

I did the flame test on a little piece and zero ignition at all.

So it's Thursday, @HotboxShow will be rocking tonight 😉

Thanks to everyone for your input and for your safety precautions. 

I love the SA Cannabis Community!!

More Time, One Love👊

• Agree 1

I can almost guarantee you if you got that tested it would still contain high amounts of butane . Just because it's hard doesnt mean its purged properly . Smoke it and enjoy it but dont fool yourself into thinking its purged properly . What I am trying to say it's probably fine for your personal smoke but it would never pass a test for a commercially safe product 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Green Leaf Organics said:

I can almost guarantee you if you got that tested it would still contain high amounts of butane . Just because it's hard doesnt mean its purged properly . Smoke it and enjoy it but dont fool yourself into thinking its purged properly . What I am trying to say it's probably fine for your personal smoke but it would never pass a test for a commercially safe product 

Yeah for sure, I can taste it's not the best.  Ive declined further offers from the source and had a chat with him as well🙏

• 11 months later...

So a thread necro, although I do not want to create a new thread for the same topic.

I am also trying to find a decent way to purge the butane from my dab without a vacuum chamber.

I am intrigued by using Ethanol as mentioned by @Green Leaf Organics although unsure of how one would do this exactly an then the best way to purge the Ethanol?

The next best thing is heat. I have the following at my disposal:

• Convection oven (preferably not)
  • Normal oven (without a fan)
  • Sous Vide device (to maintain an extremely accurate water temp)
  • Stove

Now with the sous vide, I can set the temp to whatever I want and the device will keep it at that temp, accurate to +/- 0.2C

My question is what temp should one use and for how long is it recommended one keep the dab in the water bath for? I was thinking of putting all my dab into one of those silicone dab holders and putting that into the water... Perhaps in a zip lock bag with the top on to avoid any water from getting inside and possibly ruining my dab - although with the top on, will that cause issues with the butane not being able to escape properly?

Alternatively I could use an oven, but am concerned about the accuracy of the temps.

Hoping someone here can help. I recently did a BHO extract of a CBD plant, the end result was very gooey compared to the previous BHO extracts I have done. I also wanted to decarb it as I would like to make edibles with the CBD extract at some point, so I used the convection oven and it certainly got rid of quite a bit of butane and the fan in the convection oven I feel helped agitate the dab to help the butane escape. When I actually tried some of the dab on my dab rig, it was far smoother than my previous BHO extract which makes me think I need to try and purge more butane from my first extract as well where I just had the dab in a bowl on a waterbath.

• Like 1

Ethanol is not my friend @PsyCLown  - it is because ethanol kills cells.

BHO has been my passion for 12 years now and I use it as a serious medicine for my lungs. It is also the smartest way to manufacture all medical edibles. After seeing the cannibinoid and turpene counts in sungrown organic sativa, compared to other options - I am a convert.

Been using heat to offgas extractions for yonks. My best tool is a coffee mug warmer that works on 12V 5A juice. Got it on Takealot. Set it on 40C and leave it for a few hrs. That is after some cycling in the vacc chamber, but it is fine tuning to get there quickly.

Then there is decarboxilation to consider as temperature is the cuase of the breaking of the hydroxile bond, if you want to have the best thc effect. So time and low warmth is the safest route for meds. Your coffee machine will push 105C tops and is ideal for what you want to start experimenting with.

Let us know how you went. For me at present is to play with low temps (40C) and lots of vaccuum. Seems to allow the best oil colour if already dewinterised.

Edited by 420sake
  • Like 1

@420sake Hmm, so 40C for a few hours you rate is good - but that is with a vacuum?

What sort of temps and time duration should one look at if no vacuum is being used?

I haven't looked into winterising and so forth to be honest. Perhaps you could run me through that quickly?

I recall it being a method to clean your extract, but it used alcohol from what I recall?

How would one typically purge ethanol? Heat as well? Maybe I should give Ethanol a try and see how it turns out... I can leave it in a 38C water bath or 40C waterbath for however many hours are required.

Winterisation is a temperature reduction after the wash to chill out any surface waxes extracted. If you do a small batch - it does not really matter, makes the fluid chunky, but it is flashed when using a nail or Dab rig.

40C is the better temp to aim for when allowing any wash fluid to be boiled off. The turpenes start flashing 40 - 60C if you want to retain. Time is then the issue. Your heat source need s maintaining etc.

I have just done a wash of 90g of Cerious Bud (I think it was BlueBerry ) and I forgot it on the coffee warmer at 100C for 1//2 hr while sorting out staff. I vacced it after to check, and there was zero gas in the Oil or no bubbling at all. Not too smart, but the point is proven for higher temps. Not being careful with heat just removes some of the cut in turpentine's and waxes and will change the colour to more darker shade.

If you are comfortable to take a slow approach with Alcohol then it is an efficient stripper. Taste will tell how much you were able to remove. I would say a good six hours on 50 - 100C will not damage your cannibinoids and the longer at lower temps will allow more alcohol to evaporate.

Trying to get a descent photie on my J5P is not helping much as I can't Macro - but this shows some wax in the oil...

20200702_162417[1].jpg

• Like 1