Power consumption for indoor setups

CaNaWidow

Sadly it's almost a go big or go home kinda situation... 

You can get away with a small setup for pumps and fans and small things... But when it comes to keeping the big lights on for hours and hours... You gotta pump the money in

• Like 1

Maybe we should get someone on here with solar know how to recommend a basic setup that would just run our grow ops as a start
For me that setup is 70-75k a 40k grid tied kit is like 48-50k too so it's kak expensive. That's with installing give or take a few I'd say

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

It's all good "investing" money into the batteries although the lifespan on the batteries is the issue.

They don't last, chances of you getting more than 5 / 6 years out of the batteries is very unlikely and as they age their capacity decreases to.
You can use a car as an example, the ones with stop / start which use the agm batteries often have a lifespan of around 5 years.
The not flooded lead acid batteries, often 2 to 3 years lifespan.

Naturally thr AGM batteries are more expensive and their usage in a car vs a solar system which is constantly being charged and power drawn will affect the lifespan.

Batteries have limited cycles. They also have a limited shelf life, so even with it not being used it will degrade over time.

Having a smaller setup for load shedding can be done with a couple of grand, although off the grid is very different.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

It's all good "investing" money into the batteries although the lifespan on the batteries is the issue.

They don't last, chances of you getting more than 5 / 6 years out of the batteries is very unlikely and as they age their capacity decreases to.
You can use a car as an example, the ones with stop / start which use the agm batteries often have a lifespan of around 5 years.
The not flooded lead acid batteries, often 2 to 3 years lifespan.

Naturally thr AGM batteries are more expensive and their usage in a car vs a solar system which is constantly being charged and power drawn will affect the lifespan.

Batteries have limited cycles. They also have a limited shelf life, so even with it not being used it will degrade over time.

Having a smaller setup for load shedding can be done with a couple of grand, although off the grid is very different.

Yet this doesn't stop people from going solar *shrugs*, and he is totally off the grid with zero connection to eskom.

Edited by greenkush
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greenkush said:

Yet this doesn't stop people from going solar *shrugs*, and he is totally off the grid with zero connection to eskom.

I think for some people is not about the money but the principle, the fact that Eskom is robbing us blind but we can do nothing about it... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoukie said:

I think for some people is not about the money but the principle, the fact that Eskom is robbing us blind but we can do nothing about it... 

But now they want to implement if it hasn't already passed, that you have to pay a licence fee for installing solar power. 

Total bullshit if you ask me, why must i pay them a licence fee to get off the grid?

• Agree 1

But now they want to implement if it hasn't already passed, that you have to pay a licence fee for installing solar power. 
Total bullshit if you ask me, why must i pay them a licence fee to get off the grid?
How else are they going to get money for their fire pools, fancy cars and Nandos meals?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oolong83 said:

Same reason you pay for a tv license even though you do not have a arial on your roof.

It's expensive driving a company into the ground while getting a hefty salary and a big bonus ever few months...

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, 420SA said:

What will they do if you don't pay this "licence fee"?

SABC phoned me the other day, demanding monies for TV licence that i haven't paid for yrs. Told them straight, i have no intention of paying it, put me in-front of a judge and i will tell him the same thing. Haven't heard back yet. i got 3 TV's in my house, but not 1 is connected to a antenna socket, everything runs from pc's. We dont watch SABC, its just a load of kak on there anyways.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oolong83 said:

SABC phoned me the other day, demanding monies for TV licence that i haven't paid for yrs. Told them straight, i have no intention of paying it, put me in-front of a judge and i will tell him the same thing. Haven't heard back yet. i got 3 TV's in my house, but not 1 is connected to a antenna socket, everything runs from pc's. We dont watch SABC, its just a load of kak on there anyways.

Agree 100%.

I'll happily remove the built in antenna in the TV if it were possible and required.

• Agree 1

There is a loophole in the system. Right now, you are paying about 70% (if not less) for big ass high quality screens used in boardrooms vs TV's and have RGB, VGA and HDMI inputs. No TV lisence required for purchase as it does not have a tuner card. Needless to say, decoders, pc's etc all have one or more of these outputs. I use raspberry pi's on all 3 screens as video streaming inputs via hdmi.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

There is a loophole in the system. Right now, you are paying about 70% (if not less) for big ass high quality screens used in boardrooms vs TV's and have RGB, VGA and HDMI inputs. No TV lisence required for purchase as it does not have a tuner card. Needless to say, decoders, pc's etc all have one or more of these outputs. I use raspberry pi's on all 3 screens as video streaming inputs via hdmi.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I looked into that a while ago and they were all more expensive than a TV.