Jump to content

How accurate are PPFD an Color temp apps ?


Ponica
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Ponica said:

But if I could choose It would be the lower spectrum. Vegging seems easy and can easily be supplemented with most lights. But flowering seems a bit more specific to the lower range.?, what you say ?

that's spot on 🤓 

for argument sake, you'll have better results vegging a plant under a flower light than you would when flowering a plant under a veg light.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

 I'm still procrastinating , Haven't yet decided if I want to build or buy 🙂

 

In the meantime I designed the below. I took the QBs I already had , some alu flatbar offcuts and some 3d printed components.  I also realized out of the panels I have they have different types of LED's

The below looks like they are around 3000K but cant say for sure. I think it came out quite nice. So If I had to buy the samsung LEDs I will do the same. They draw only 27watt not sure if its usefull. the panels come in 1m strips so I could make another 3 of them, if I have enough Alu offcuts.

 

qb1.jpg

 

qb2.jpg

qb3.jpg

qb45.jpg

Model.jpg

The above version has mounting holes for a 80mm fan.

PM me if you are interested in the STLs,  Sharing is caring 😉

I think if you can find the correct panels it will make for a very nice grow light.

 

Edited by Ponica
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Niiice 🤘 that looks great, I don't think it even needs a fan! bummer that it only pulls 27watts! 

get these strips!!!! 😁 

https://www.digikey.co.za/en/products/detail/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SI-B8V101560US/7562243 

you'll need this driver,

https://www.digikey.co.za/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/HLG-320H-24B/7704033

if you planning on grouping them all together in the old school quantum board fashion, you'll need a heatsink and possibly a fan and you have to mount the driver away from the strips to keep the everything as cool as possible. alternatively you could get aluminium T-strip and build a bar style light then you don't need a fan or heatsink, and the T-strip is enough space between the strips and driver so you mount the driver right on the back.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

Niiice 🤘 that looks great, I don't think it even needs a fan! bummer that it only pulls 27watts! 

get these strips!!!! 😁 

https://www.digikey.co.za/en/products/detail/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SI-B8V101560US/7562243 

you'll need this driver,

https://www.digikey.co.za/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/HLG-320H-24B/7704033

if you planning on grouping them all together in the old school quantum board fashion, you'll need a heatsink and possibly a fan and you have to mount the driver away from the strips to keep the everything as cool as possible. alternatively you could get aluminium T-strip and build a bar style light then you don't need a fan or heatsink, and the T-strip is enough space between the strips and driver so you mount the driver right on the back.

Bookmarked!

Do you think its worth mixing them with some LEDs in the blue spectrum and IR LEDs ?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ponica said:

Bookmarked!

Do you think its worth mixing them with some LEDs in the blue spectrum and IR LEDs ?

 

 

hmmm.... let's see. 

this would be my opinion, 

If you wana use the light for veg and bloom you could add additional blue and far red diodes, but then it would be easier running them off their own drivers then you can switch between the two, so during veg you only use blue and during flower you only using the far red. I would get the 4000K strips, in that case, to not be veg or bloom specific. 

if you wana use the plant just for veg don't worry about anything. I was gona suggest additional blue diodes, but rather configure the light with only 5000k and up so it's natural blue/white. 

if you wana use the light for just flower you go for the 3000k strips and add far red diodes only, no blue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I wanted to make sure I calculated the wattage correctly. The amount of heat these panels put out made me doubt my measurements done with the multi meter.

So I got a Sonoff Powr2 and its reading a total of 130watts

Untitled.jpg

I think its because I measured them with the tips if the multi meter leads and not making proper contact allowing all the current to flow.

Without the light panels the Sonoff reads 7.5 watts (Small AC fan and a USB powered hub + 250watt PC PSU) , when connecting only one panel it goes up to 68.5 watts. So both of them draw around 62watts.

 

I'm thinking to just buy an LED driver to test it out on a grow, will soon see what happens.

 

The plants seem to be happy for now. Except for the little bit of leaf curl. Not sure if its because the light are too close or if I have over watered them.

My first time growing with coco. On the left is a premex which I bought from the store and on the right my own Perlite , coco buffered mix. They have been on a 24 hour schedule for almost 2 weeks now. I have now set the Powr2 on a 18/6 schedule.

2.jpg

 

 

Edited by Ponica
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update.

Wow I dont recall the leafs growing this big in my previous grow, they're gigantic! everyday when I check in to feed them there is a clear difference.  I had to raise the lights for a second time already.

giant.jpg

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should I in the name of science flip the schedule to 12/12 and get the plants to flower  so we can see if the the lights will make some buds ?

If it works out I will dub them "Bud Makers" 😜 Maybe I should start an Open source project that will allow people to build their own on the cheap. I can make them modular so you can snap more together.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Update:

Things got a bit out of hand 🙂 not complaining.

Stems are nice and thick, not a single deficiency! and buds are coming along nicely. Some minor light burns here and there.

 

I probably should have trained it better. Best I can do now is to try and pull the branches down with some rope. Below is 2 trees (Technically 3 but the 3rd one is not getting much of a chance)

 

 

outofhand.jpg

 

Went to the china shop and bought more warm Led panels for a life changing R200.00 🙂 Will be adding 2 more if it make decent buds.

 

Edited by Ponica
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

So Here's an update.

 

From the previous photo's you can see I planted 4, one of which was a male. Out of the 3 that was left one of them got overshadowed by these massive fan leafs and got stunted. Pulled her out and gave it to a friend. Not sure if its going to survive.

Then I had 2 left.

1 of the 2 that was left was growing in a mixture of organic and coco/perlite medium. and the other just pure Coco/perlite. Never knew how much to feed the plant in organic mix, so I just kept feeding the same as the pure coco/perlite plant. It never shown any burns or deficiencies but neither did it bud propperly. Not sure why flowers were all over the show but didnt show any progress. So I moved her to the greenhouse outside.

 

Now I only have this one in the tent. Not sure if its doing well but it isnt exactly doing poorly either (To my untrained eye)

 

any comments ? I feel like the bud can be denser.

I dont know the strain its just bunch of left over seeds which came from a very seedy bud.

 

1.jpg

 

2.jpg

 

4.jpg

 

5.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Ponica said:

So Here's an update.

 

From the previous photo's you can see I planted 4, one of which was a male. Out of the 3 that was left one of them got overshadowed by these massive fan leafs and got stunted. Pulled her out and gave it to a friend. Not sure if its going to survive.

Then I had 2 left.

1 of the 2 that was left was growing in a mixture of organic and coco/perlite medium. and the other just pure Coco/perlite. Never knew how much to feed the plant in organic mix, so I just kept feeding the same as the pure coco/perlite plant. It never shown any burns or deficiencies but neither did it bud propperly. Not sure why flowers were all over the show but didnt show any progress. So I moved her to the greenhouse outside.

 

Now I only have this one in the tent. Not sure if its doing well but it isnt exactly doing poorly either (To my untrained eye)

 

any comments ? I feel like the bud can be denser.

I dont know the strain its just bunch of left over seeds which came from a very seedy bud.

 

1.jpg

 

2.jpg

 

4.jpg

 

5.jpg

@Ponica take a moment to pat yourself on the back 😁 because this is proof you can grow a weed plant. now the next step is to get you to grow some good weed..

the chances of ending up with good weed when growing bag seeds or random seeds is a chance that is slim to none. respected breeders will not breed outdoors, indoor growers will isolate breeding projects, so having seeded indoor weed is either a mistake that was made during growing or somehow stray pollen got sucked into the flower tent. if it's outdoor seeded weed then it's up in the air with the parents. probably some ditch weed parents or some Uncle Piet down the road that don't know to pull out his males, and trust me you don't wana spend time growing a offspring that came from someones plant who doesn't yet know to pull out his males. if you put a super dank strain outdoors to flower and get seeds off it, it was pollinated by stray pollen and I wouldn't even suggest growing those out as it will be a waste of time, even though one of the parents was a super dank strain.

I would write this one up as completely experimental, because growing some random seeds you don't know what to expect of will not be a true testimony to your skills or the quality of your growing equipment. 

that might be the best that the genetic could ever look but on the other side of the knife, it could also be the worst... you could only really guage that if you have something to reference it to.

my advice will be to get either some clones or some reputible seeds for future grows. 

also stick to one medium for now. if you wana test a bunch of stuff, make sure you have a control measurment. for example, if you testing what soil works best you need to grow clones of the exact same plant in different soils so there's no phenotypical difference in the plants at least. if you wana test genetics and you wana pop different seeds to find the best phenotype, do it all in the same soil.... otherwise you getting a whole mix masala and you don't really get any true answers from your experiment.

I would suggest Freedom Farms Premium classic paired with Biobizz Grow, Fish & Bloom. + legit clones/seeds 🤘 you'll be gold. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

@Ponica take a moment to pat yourself on the back 😁 because this is proof you can grow a weed plant. now the next step is to get you to grow some good weed..

the chances of ending up with good weed when growing bag seeds or random seeds is a chance that is slim to none. respected breeders will not breed outdoors, indoor growers will isolate breeding projects, so having seeded indoor weed is either a mistake that was made during growing or somehow stray pollen got sucked into the flower tent. if it's outdoor seeded weed then it's up in the air with the parents. probably some ditch weed parents or some Uncle Piet down the road that don't know to pull out his males, and trust me you don't wana spend time growing a offspring that came from someones plant who doesn't yet know to pull out his males. if you put a super dank strain outdoors to flower and get seeds off it, it was pollinated by stray pollen and I wouldn't even suggest growing those out as it will be a waste of time, even though one of the parents was a super dank strain.

I would write this one up as completely experimental, because growing some random seeds you don't know what to expect of will not be a true testimony to your skills or the quality of your growing equipment. 

that might be the best that the genetic could ever look but on the other side of the knife, it could also be the worst... you could only really guage that if you have something to reference it to.

my advice will be to get either some clones or some reputible seeds for future grows. 

also stick to one medium for now. if you wana test a bunch of stuff, make sure you have a control measurment. for example, if you testing what soil works best you need to grow clones of the exact same plant in different soils so there's no phenotypical difference in the plants at least. if you wana test genetics and you wana pop different seeds to find the best phenotype, do it all in the same soil.... otherwise you getting a whole mix masala and you don't really get any true answers from your experiment.

I would suggest Freedom Farms Premium classic paired with Biobizz Grow, Fish & Bloom. + legit clones/seeds 🤘 you'll be gold. 

Exactly the type of input I need sensei  🙂
I  feel like I may now remove my white belt and replace it a yellow belt  and i'm now worthy of proper seeds.

 

On a serious note thanks for the input, it makes encouragement and what you said makes totally sense.

Any recommendation on some seeds ? Being the zombie apocalypse type of guy I prefer to buy regular seeds with the possibility of getting a male which can be used to pollinate to make more.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ponica said:

Exactly the type of input I need sensei  🙂
I  feel like I may now remove my white belt and replace it a yellow belt  and i'm now worthy of proper seeds.

 

On a serious note thanks for the input, it makes encouragement and what you said makes totally sense.

Any recommendation on some seeds ? Being the zombie apocalypse type of guy I prefer to buy regular seeds with the possibility of getting a male which can be used to pollinate to make more.

just wana mention if you grow a clone it is the replica of the plant it came from, so people typically go for clones over seeds to guarentee a good phenotype. 

with seeds there are greater chances of ending up with something you don't like, even if you grow a batch of seeds from a strain you like. in this case you buy a bunch of the seeds, enough to do something called a "pheno hunt". this is where you work your way through all the seeds and find the best one and go from there. 

if you buy a pack of regulars and plan to breed, buy a pack of 10 or more seeds and be sure to find the best male and best female before crossing all willy nilly and making more work for yourself than anything else. if you birth a batch of 300 to 500 seeds and it's all just from the first male and female you could find, you gona spend a lot of time being dissapointed growing out 300 seeds just to find out none of it was worth the time or effort. 

rather work on getting your hands on a female you like through finding the right clone, then get your hands on some regulars of something you also like and find the best male in the pack, then cross those two. 

you can spend quite some time "pheno hunting" the batch of seeds from this breed. they'll be regular seeds again as you knocked up a female with a male. 

if you wana make feminised seed you have to reverse a female. 

If you just looking to have some fun and make some seeds then you can go on any of the local seed banks and get anything that sounds and looks nice to you. I see a lot of support for Trophy seeds. Look at Inhouse Genetics or Ethos Genetics stuff, but honestly there's a bunch and every second breeder has something crazy good. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Last update,

These bag seeds came out OK not too shabby 🙂 And i'm happy with the lights, the PSU i'm using has some extra capacity to add more.

Next time I will try and keep it in control by trimming and training better and will log the progress in a more appropriate section of this forum.

 

Thanks for all the advice.

 

1.png

 

2.png

 

Chapter closed.

 

BTW I may have trimmed it early in fear of running into bud rot issues , because the lower flowers started to develop some fluffy white stuff which came off when i lightly rub it with my fingers.on the sugar leafs.After reading up it wasn't bud rot it was powdery mildew. Seeing 50% of the pistils were amber. Based on that I thought I may as well just take the plunge and start harvesting because I don't own a magnifier.

 

Will be donating the plant to a friend who also recently got into growing, maybe he can re veg it (Practice) with it 🙂

now to get my hands on a good strain.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Ponica
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

cool, shops around you selling seeds or clones? 

I would suggest a clone with good rep from a grower with good rep.

seed packs are always a gamble cause you don't know the pheno you getting till you have grown it out, yet they're easier to come by. 

the reason I would suggest a clone is because you wana test your light, right? so going with a clone which you already know what the weed should look like post harvest and having something to cross-reference the end result to will give you more accurate indication if your light is doing what it should be doing or not. 

if you grow seeds you never really know if you just got an airy pheno or a good pheno. so if it comes out airy you couldn't blame the light. 

the buds you show in the photo there looks like they could've gone a lot longer or they needed a lot more light, but they don't look fully formed at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...