Trees growing inconsistently in height

David666

Good Day All,

Im David, brand new in the forum. Looking for some information to help me out with my new indoor grow...all help will be greatly appreciated.. 

So I recently invested in an indoor growing step up.. 4x4 tent, 450w LED quantum board grow light, inline fan, humidifier, fans etc. I am growing in soil: super mix soil from Builder's warehouse and calmag and also some sea grow for the veg cycle. The tress are about 9 week in now. I put 5(3 royal gorilla autos and 2 Northern lights autos) seeds directly into the soil in separate pots and 3 days later 1 sprouted and within 3 days from then all the seeds had sprouted.. Things were looking good for the first week and then I started to notice that tress all growing at different speeds if I may say.. The trees are all different sizes although I did same thing for each plant. I watered each plant the same from day 1 with the same nutrients being 5ml calmag per litre of water as instructed and 5ml seagrow p/litre of water and made sure my light was hung about 80-85cm from the plant. The temperature in the tent was consistent around 24-26 degrees celcius and humidity around 50%. Light is on a 18-6 schedule. From around week 7 I started with a little flower nutrient 5ml per lite of water as well. Not too much nutrients as this is my first indoor grow... I have done lots of research and followed guide lines from professional growers online and still not sure what the issue is with the growth... Please guys all information and help will be greatly appreciated... 

Image below shows the plants about 3*4 weeks old... The 2 northern lights are growing very slowly... 

IMG_20211007_114000.jpg

Silence... Do you believe that number to be goodluck? 

I don't think your a bad guy. Just a word of confusion, its a wild world we live in. I'm sure everybody is all over the place. Many are sure they know things when they've watched a couple of Youtube videos. A history that is biblical... I know right who cares its just a number. One thing about growing weed. It will force you to better yourself and enable some deeper thinking. 

I know but a few things. One thing I know certainly, further than my mind soul and emotions can even comprehend, there is ''no chance''.

If this is your freedom of speech, here is mine... That's not a joke, the way of the transgressor is hard. 👍

Goodluck my man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe some more recent pics might help?
Bit of variation in heights and sizes is not unusual at all though.
Each seed is an individual, with it's own character, same as people. Even brothers/sisters can be shorter/taller.
Probably nothing to worry about.
If it bugs you lots, maybe try some clones next time. Would give more uniform growth.

Not sure how good Builders soil is for growing ganga in though

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Plants are like people no 2 of them are the same so you can expect different growth rates it's pretty normal 
If you want uniform growth grow clones from the same mother then growth will be equal its called a monocrop 
Copy cat

@David666 Welcome to the forum.

Some more recent pics will help, but 3 to 4 weeks of growth in the picture you posted seems a bit on the slow side.

Growing from seed is slower, but that seems to be a slower than usual. Various things can affect that, from the genetics to the soil, nutes, PH, environment etc.

To give you an idea, this pic was taken on 31 October, 2 weeks after the seeds sprouted a tail in paper towel and went into the coco (17th Oct) and I only got cotyledons (the first rounded leaves) around 2 or 3 days later. Both plants are in 20L fabric pots for reference.

1636465299049.thumb.jpg.e4af76c0b6ce16a44b5a23b7f0111ef5.jpg

As you can see, there is also a big difference between the two despite seeds going into water at the same time and sprouting tails around the same time.

Different growth rates is normal and acceptable, especially when growing from seed or growing different strains.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, David666 said:

Good Day All,

Im David, brand new in the forum. Looking for some information to help me out with my new indoor grow...all help will be greatly appreciated.. 

So I recently invested in an indoor growing step up.. 4x4 tent, 450w LED quantum board grow light, inline fan, humidifier, fans etc. I am growing in soil: super mix soil from Builder's warehouse and calmag and also some sea grow for the veg cycle. The tress are about 9 week in now. I put 5(3 royal gorilla autos and 2 Northern lights autos) seeds directly into the soil in separate pots and 3 days later 1 sprouted and within 3 days from then all the seeds had sprouted.. Things were looking good for the first week and then I started to notice that tress all growing at different speeds if I may say.. The trees are all different sizes although I did same thing for each plant. I watered each plant the same from day 1 with the same nutrients being 5ml calmag per litre of water as instructed and 5ml seagrow p/litre of water and made sure my light was hung about 80-85cm from the plant. The temperature in the tent was consistent around 24-26 degrees celcius and humidity around 50%. Light is on a 18-6 schedule. From around week 7 I started with a little flower nutrient 5ml per lite of water as well. Not too much nutrients as this is my first indoor grow... I have done lots of research and followed guide lines from professional growers online and still not sure what the issue is with the growth... Please guys all information and help will be greatly appreciated... 

Image below shows the plants about 3*4 weeks old... The 2 northern lights are growing very slowly... 

IMG_20211007_114000.jpg

Thanks for all the information so far guys..

Here some recent pictures of the plants around 8 weeks old. 

IMG_20211109_194938.jpg

7 hours ago, StonerZN said:

P.s. welcome to the forum and best of luck! Nice setup u have man.

Thanks man. The soil is just a super mix with perlite and vermiculite all mixed together in a bag some other nutrients also l... 

4 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

@David666 Welcome to the forum.

Some more recent pics will help, but 3 to 4 weeks of growth in the picture you posted seems a bit on the slow side.

Growing from seed is slower, but that seems to be a slower than usual. Various things can affect that, from the genetics to the soil, nutes, PH, environment etc.

To give you an idea, this pic was taken on 31 October, 2 weeks after the seeds sprouted a tail in paper towel and went into the coco (17th Oct) and I only got cotyledons (the first rounded leaves) around 2 or 3 days later. Both plants are in 20L fabric pots for reference.

1636465299049.thumb.jpg.e4af76c0b6ce16a44b5a23b7f0111ef5.jpg

As you can see, there is also a big difference between the two despite seeds going into water at the same time and sprouting tails around the same time.

Different growth rates is normal and acceptable, especially when growing from seed or growing different strains.

Thanks man then plants are looking good so far way better than mine after the same time... 

5 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

Yes no 2 plants or people are the same. So like people, you want to choose “Life”, I suggest you add some life into your soil.

Wormcastings or bottle microbes will both work well.

Okay thank you.. Can I do that now while the plant is flowering? 

Ah!! It all becomes clear now!! 

The slow growth is attributed to the light cycle you have man!! 

You are running a flowering light configuration and that is why your plants are small, not growing much... And of course... They are flowering

It is too late for these ladies really... I would let them finish and then stick close to this forum for your next attempt. 

Light requirements for growing weed differ from veg to flower. 

In veg you need lower powered lights but they must be in for a longer duration. 

And for flower, you need intense light, with a shorter cycle. 

Veg needs 18 hours of constant light to remain in a healthy veg cycle, where it grows stems and leaves and that's it. 

Flower needs 12 hours of light, and more importantly, 12 solid hours of pure uninterrupted darkness!! 

Hit us up with what you have your timer set to and we can give you some tips and methods to keep your grow in tip top shape😋

Ah!! It all becomes clear now!! 
The slow growth is attributed to the light cycle you have man!! 
You are running a flowering light configuration and that is why your plants are small, not growing much... And of course... They are flowering
It is too late for these ladies really... I would let them finish and then stick close to this forum for your next attempt. 
Light requirements for growing weed differ from veg to flower. 
In veg you need lower powered lights but they must be in for a longer duration. 
And for flower, you need intense light, with a shorter cycle. 
Veg needs 18 hours of constant light to remain in a healthy veg cycle, where it grows stems and leaves and that's it. 
Flower needs 12 hours of light, and more importantly, 12 solid hours of pure uninterrupted darkness!! 
Hit us up with what you have your timer set to and we can give you some tips and methods to keep your grow in tip top shape

He’s running auto’s…. Are they really that affected by light cycle? I’m mean I see they are flowering… early….
I worry about that builders soil, and notice humidity at 10% (?!) on the hygrometer.

My guess is stressed plants due to improper EC / PH, possible over watering or / and over feeding at seedling stage. Possibly that 450w light was too bright early on?

So many variables, but this is how we learn.
Myself I dig the tech side of growing but I’m still learning the plant man. It’s that green thumb which some people just have and others like myself have to learn. Honestly 2 years ago I couldn’t even grow mould on old bread without killing it.

Good luck!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Missed the Auto part makes a lot of sense now!

Ja nee.
Agree, could be many many things, from Soil through to seeds and everything in between.
I was personally super unimpressed with the Autos I have grown out, some of them stayed tiny tiny. I knocked one pot over while they were babies, the bloody thing sommer stunted, stopped growing, and flowered at around 10cms high with less than 12 leaves. They can be very finicky.

As Crex said, chalk this one up to experience and hope for better next round
A good place to start would probably be some proper purpose made cannabis soil.
Also a PH/EC pen if you dont have one (cant believe I'm writing this because I still dont have one yet -pricy!)
This will help a lot seeing as you already have some very cool toys already

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

what's up devil boy @David666 

if you really wana understand the science behind your situation you going to have to do some more research on the following 4 topics

- genetics

- phenotype

- plant morphology

- plant plasticity

plants will never grow exactly the same anyway, though you do have some problems at hand aswell, so I agree with the guys, focus on something else for your next grow. 

my suggestions would be

1 - Get yourself some FreedomFarms green bag, the soil you have there is causing more questions and guessing games than it is helping you to grow weed. 

2 - Get some photoperiod plants, I would suggest some fiminized seeds from a reliable source. Autos are for the seasoned growers, they are so full of kak I have not even attempted one at all. I feel if you don't do everything 100% you're at more of a loss than anything.

3. Ph and EC pens, for sure takes out a hell of a lot of guessing and playing around, but then again you can test a shitty soil 100 times and make changes, bit the overall composition of your soil could be shit and then testing wont help at all. e.g. just by the looks of it I can say there is way too much bark in that soil and no amount of testing will tell you that. 

🤙

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

what's up devil boy @David666 

if you really wana understand the science behind your situation you going to have to do some more research on the following 4 topics

- genetics

- phenotype

- plant morphology

- plant plasticity

plants will never grow exactly the same anyway, though you do have some problems at hand aswell, so I agree with the guys, focus on something else for your next grow. 

my suggestions would be

1 - Get yourself some FreedomFarms green bag, the soil you have there is causing more questions and guessing games than it is helping you to grow weed. 

2 - Get some photoperiod plants, I would suggest some fiminized seeds from a reliable source. Autos are for the seasoned growers, they are so full of kak I have not even attempted one at all. I feel if you don't do everything 100% you're at more of a loss than anything.

3. Ph and EC pens, for sure takes out a hell of a lot of guessing and playing around, but then again you can test a shitty soil 100 times and make changes, bit the overall composition of your soil could be shit and then testing wont help at all. e.g. just by the looks of it I can say there is way too much bark in that soil and no amount of testing will tell you that. 

🤙

Whats up bro👊Thanks for all the info man will definitely do more research... It has helped me alot so far, even all the information provided by all the growers.. Much appreciated👍

The main reason I started with autos was because loadshedding:( thought it would be the best way to grow weed without having to stress too much about the light going on and off of schedule(no generator yet)... There is so much to learn

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David666 said:

Whats up bro👊Thanks for all the info man will definitely do more research... It has helped me alot so far, even all the information provided by all the growers.. Much appreciated👍

The main reason I started with autos was because loadshedding:( thought it would be the best way to grow weed without having to stress too much about the light going on and off of schedule(no generator yet)... There is so much to learn

only a pleasure brobeans :-rasta 

I see why you would go with the autos, yeah. a lot of growers I know that's got some years behind them will keep auto seeds to have year round harvests outdoors, because you're not as dependent on light cycles. but knowing how to get literally every single step in place before the plant even shows a single sign of stress is the key to growing a auto. 

about the loadshedding and light schedule thing, you see the only way it can go is to reduce the hours of light your plant gets. right? I don't know what area you're in, but my area gets hit with loadshedding 3 times a day at 2hrs each time. this equals to 6hrs of complete darkness and leaves me with 18hrs of electricity. that's a perfect veg cycle for a photoperiod plant. come flower time you need to reduce the 18 down to 12hrs anyway, so you don't nees more or longer hours of electricity anyway. 

the worrying thing when comes to loadshedding is RH, especially during winter. when your extractor and circulation  fans go off it gives time for mold spores to settle and take host. most likely loadshedding gona cause you harm it will be in the form of powdery mildew. 

David666 if you want to grow Auto’s, go for it. I started with auto’s in July last year and haven’t changed. I’ll probably take flack for my opinion but auto’s are kind of the future. Breeders are putting a lot of effort into developing auto’s, getting them closer to the yield of photo’s (especially indoors). Already the terps and THC is comparable, although the pheno’s can vary from seed to seed in the same batch.
Why are some breeders concentrating on Auto’s? Seed sales. If you develop a killer photo, you sell one seed and it gets cloned for 10 years. With Autos you keep selling seeds.

6 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

only a pleasure brobeans :-rasta 

I see why you would go with the autos, yeah. a lot of growers I know that's got some years behind them will keep auto seeds to have year round harvests outdoors, because you're not as dependent on light cycles. but knowing how to get literally every single step in place before the plant even shows a single sign of stress is the key to growing a auto. 

about the loadshedding and light schedule thing, you see the only way it can go is to reduce the hours of light your plant gets. right? I don't know what area you're in, but my area gets hit with loadshedding 3 times a day at 2hrs each time. this equals to 6hrs of complete darkness and leaves me with 18hrs of electricity. that's a perfect veg cycle for a photoperiod plant. come flower time you need to reduce the 18 down to 12hrs anyway, so you don't nees more or longer hours of electricity anyway. 

the worrying thing when comes to loadshedding is RH, especially during winter. when your extractor and circulation  fans go off it gives time for mold spores to settle and take host. most likely loadshedding gona cause you harm it will be in the form of powdery mildew. 

I live near Kempton Park so the loadshedding schedule is also 2 hours a day 3 times a day similar to your area. I agrees the plants need 18hrs in veg however I thought it should be 18hrs continuous light and then 6 hrs darkness..Loadshedding can be anytime of the day I am sure you know how terrible it is esp being a grower so there is no way the plants can get the proper light at the moment without a generator.. Won't that affect the plants negatively? I mean maybe send the plants into flower early... 

Also, can I maybe leave the tent open on then days of loadshedding so there is some air flow to avoid the mildew build up or any other issues in that line? 

Thanks for your help again mate.. This information is very helpful and will use all of it to try grow some good weed.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dookie69 said:

David666 if you want to grow Auto’s, go for it. I started with auto’s in July last year and haven’t changed. I’ll probably take flack for my opinion but auto’s are kind of the future. Breeders are putting a lot of effort into developing auto’s, getting them closer to the yield of photo’s (especially indoors). Already the terps and THC is comparable, although the pheno’s can vary from seed to seed in the same batch.
Why are some breeders concentrating on Auto’s? Seed sales. If you develop a killer photo, you sell one seed and it gets cloned for 10 years. With Autos you keep selling seeds.

Thanks man apologize if I can't reply to all the posts but I read them all... 

I understand stand what you saying about the autos being the future as I lve seen and heard of many top level growers focusing only on autos as it grows good weed fast and that's what I wanted but if it's easier to grow photos then I think next grow il be going that way as I understand photos can handle stress a little more which should be a little easier to grow.. More forgiving if i don't get all the steps correct.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David666 said:

I live near Kempton Park so the loadshedding schedule is also 2 hours a day 3 times a day similar to your area. I agrees the plants need 18hrs in veg however I thought it should be 18hrs continuous light and then 6 hrs darkness..Loadshedding can be anytime of the day I am sure you know how terrible it is esp being a grower so there is no way the plants can get the proper light at the moment without a generator.. Won't that affect the plants negatively? I mean maybe send the plants into flower early... 

So @CreX did a grow using the gas lantern lighting schedule with great success, perhaps he can share more info here.

What else works is to set ones timer to be always on and let Eskom dictate the dark periods for your plants.
When load shedding is suspended, change the timer onto an 18 / 6 cycle - that is what I do.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

So @CreX did a grow using the gas lantern lighting schedule with great success, perhaps he can share more info here.

What else works is to set ones timer to be always on and let Eskom dictate the dark periods for your plants.
When load shedding is suspended, change the timer onto an 18 / 6 cycle - that is what I do.

indeed i have old chap!!

it was out of necessity that i tried it - i have known about the technique for long but never needed to use it.

my Dad has a small grow as well, but the timer he has for his tent is an analogue timer which loses its time if it loses its power.

so what i did was set the timer on to 2 hours off, 4 hours on - and then repeat that 4 more times to fill up the 24 hour schedule.

the main thing with vegging, is your plants must not get more that 8 hours of continuous darkness, or it will trigger flowering responses.

with this method, even if it is a 4 hour loadshedding, it would not leave you hanging for longer than 8 hours ever .

not only does this keep your veggies lekker in loadshedding, it also keeps the pennies in your pocket as the light is only on for 16 hours in a 24 hour period, while fulfulling proper veg growth.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CreX said:

indeed i have old chap!!

it was out of necessity that i tried it - i have known about the technique for long but never needed to use it.

my Dad has a small grow as well, but the timer he has for his tent is an analogue timer which loses its time if it loses its power.

so what i did was set the timer on to 2 hours off, 4 hours on - and then repeat that 4 more times to fill up the 24 hour schedule.

the main thing with vegging, is your plants must not get more that 8 hours of continuous darkness, or it will trigger flowering responses.

with this method, even if it is a 4 hour loadshedding, it would not leave you hanging for longer than 8 hours ever .

not only does this keep your veggies lekker in loadshedding, it also keeps the pennies in your pocket as the light is only on for 16 hours in a 24 hour period, while fulfulling proper veg growth.

Thanks for information @CreXI will definitely try that light schedule with the next grow..

So the plants will be comfortable receiving 4 hours light then off for 2 hours and repeat for 24 hrs? Always thought that a break in the 18hr cycle for veg can stress the plants out and send them into flower early...