Support the cabbage bandit

A little off topic, but so on topic. The artist who designed this image is a cannabis supporter and you will see alot of his images on stickers and shirts.

We have the right to feed ourselves and others without anyone trying to stop us. We must overgrow our cities! Support revolutionaries, be revolutionaries!#cabbagebandit #djobankuna#rheecemoonjav

242011673_10161869411992715_7273111628689232200_n.thumb.jpg.9e124700d55bc81c134be282b982f494.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I realize how fcuked up the world really is.People are literally dying of starvation and when someone makes a plan to make a difference the a$$holes in power come in hot and heavy...Sad to say we live in an ever tightening noose of authoritative dicktatorship the world over.All I can say is the law is an ass.These same clowns can't maintain the sidewalks or even enforce traffic laws, let alone run a country properly, yet they can come in hot with jackboots and coshes at the ready.🖕🏾 you...Long live the cabbage bandit, long live.Many years ago I had the privilege of meeting permaculture guru Bill Mollison whose vision included turning kerbs into food gardens.Let's make Bill's vision a realty by turning disused kerbs countrywide into good baskets for whoever is hungry...If you can't do a kerbside garden then please do your bit by joining the support group and take on the bullyboys...

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 2

Sorry trying to edit the crap formatting above.

I read this article yesterday and was stumped at the backlash this poor oke is receiving. Life is heading back in a direction where more of us need to be doing what he is doing instead of tending to a non edible lawn. 

We should all be doing what he is doing and support this initiative. We planting vegetables on our verges this coming weekend. Fuck the system, metro/muni does not maintain verges do f-all for communities. I love walking with bare feet on my lawn, so I dig my lawn ,so do my dogs. I will be keeping it.

A link to the article for those who have not read it: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/i-am-not-afraid-says-cabbage-man-as-he-prepares-to-take-veg-garden-fight-to-court-fe8e5c1f-b1a1-43a8-8a28-34c88f517f27

He is trying to do a good thing and is taking the initiative and putting in the effort, yet at the same time I can understand that is everyone is allowed to do this - we would not have any sidewalks and it could quite easily lead to other issues. As an example, rats could come and start taking over the suburbs due to this food which is easily and readily available to them.

People can no longer run, job, walk or cycle as easily or safely.

A common ground needs to be found I feel, I like the idea of having designated space where food can be grown for those in need. Unfortunately managing this becomes an issue as we get those who are greedy or do not care and will ruin it for everyone. Perhaps it would work where an honesty system works.

If there is a cannabis plant in public and it gets to flower and it is easily accessible. I am certain it will be harvested by someone pre-maturely in fear of someone else taking it down first and getting it before they could.

Sort of like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

He is trying to do a good thing and is taking the initiative and putting in the effort, yet at the same time I can understand that is everyone is allowed to do this - we would not have any sidewalks and it could quite easily lead to other issues. As an example, rats could come and start taking over the suburbs due to this food which is easily and readily available to them.

People can no longer run, job, walk or cycle as easily or safely.

Not everyone would do this, a good example is people supplying weed.
- sidewalks dont really exist and I would far rather have to dodge cabbages than faulty sidewalks.
- rats is a big problem in central CBD JHB and no one grows cabbages.
- Runners run on roads, cyclists parallel ride on roads in a single lane and miss potholes. 

Make cabbages on sidewalks legal. I know there are not many activists on here, but seriously its a great initiative. A public person being fined R1500 for growing cabbages on his sidewalk. Come on, its time to support initiatives like this, its the reason you can grow zol in the privacy of your house. Not everyone is going to start growing vegetables on their sidewalk, dont stress. 

16 hours ago, Chris Jay said:

- Runners run on roads, cyclists parallel ride on roads in a single lane and miss potholes. 

Was about to mention this myself, I guess in the bigger city areas people use sidewalks because there is no other option unless you like being mowed down by traffic. But man in the suburbs it's like they don't exists, I myself am extremely guilty of not using sidewalks. 

• Like 1

I think my mind is a little bent. I do believe in law and order ( I cant waffle too much, but I am probably as hypocritical as Bheke Celery ) , but there is really no law and order for the common person in SA trying to make a difference in South Africa. I just posted to FB about the Woolies looter is seriously disagree with his car being confiscated by crooks. He should have just got a 5 year suspended sentence or a promotion to senior management in ANC. His car is his livelihood, and when you listen to laws here this sounds like the full force of the law has been used against one man, who stole a shopping basket of food. I mean a house breaker can steal zink of your roof while you sleep, attach it to his stolen land, and the judge will say he is guilty but you cant have the stolen good back due to his circumstances. I seen that with my own eyes. I am not to sure what it is called in law, but its something to do with the value of the crime, judges take that into consideration. Today marks 3 years of cannabis decriminalisation, but people are still being arrested every day, still in jail for a joint or 3, while companies and pioneering people are making a fortune from exporting THC. #fuckingthesystem 

I see this similar to our cannabis laws. Everyone is looting, thousands looted a several weeks ago, looting of delivery trucks probably happening right now. Eskom, Vodacom, SABC ( trying to loot ) looting customers with massive ridiculous prices for sub standard service. An ex president is still looting our legal system, his family can hold the country ransom and also try to instigate war, but the guy on the street gets the full arm of the law. Just a concept to think about.

242136393_589950615520762_4596120225742347352_n.jpg.dff9ceb28b48101d48c733e6beba4321.jpg

• Like 1

The law is the law....or its supposed to be. The theory on paper is good, but excecution and interpretation is another story as we've seen for years thanks to CancER.

In deepest darkest Seff Efrika it is applied differently. There are 'other' considerations and 'special' extrenuating circumstances that must be taken into account. (Sarcasm, tongue in cheek) It depends on who perpetrated the crime, what mood the arresting officer is in, who the criminal is friends with, strength of connections to ruling party, what his political/ethnic convictions are etc, etc, etc.... 

The 'pimp' Mr Celery is a good example. Previously found guilty of crimes and dismissed from the saps, but then re-appointed to lead??? Corruption, fraud, drugs and guns - Prime example of the 'Law' at work in our beautifull New Seff Efrika.

Its sad and scary.

• Like 1

@Chris Jay I get not everyone is going to suddenly plant shit on the sidewalk if it is allowed, at the same time I get why it is not allowed.

I am not against what he is trying to do at all, he is doing what few would and that is taking initiative and action and trying to make a difference.

As for the Durban guy and his car, it seems as if they're trying to make an example out of him. Because he appears to have some money as he drives a Merc, they feel he has no reason not to pay for the stuff he stole. Whether he actually has money, who knows. Is the car even paid off? I'd be surprised if it is. I am going off a limb and assuming he felt he could take advantage of the situation, everyone else is benefitting so why can't he?

Unlucky for him, he got caught.

Is him forfeiting his car for a basket full of groceries a reasonable punishment? I personally feel it is a bit harsh, but at the same time they're trying to show that eve if you have money, you can still get punished for doing a crime. We all know the reality is that there are soo many people committing crimes and far worse ones who get away with it because of who they know, who they pay etc.

Runners and more so cyclists in the road, I fucking hate it. If its a wide enough ride and they stick to the side to not inconvenience me then fine. When they're far away from the side of the road and are in my way... WTF.
GTFO! The road is for motorized vehicle, you have a fucking mountain bike and there is a sidewalk right there. Much safer for both them and the drivers on the road. Even worse when there are 2 or 3 of them side by side half way into your lane.

No flickers, no side mirrors, no number plate.