Preparation for my first Organic Indoor & Outdoor Grow

So I'm currently busy with my first Hydro Indoor grow and I'm learning so much. Now its time for me to expand my knowledgebase into organic growing. I would like to start growing indoor & outdoor organics in November.

I ordered 50L Premium living earth blend Orgasoilux Potting Soil from Jamies Garden Shop. When I spoke to Jamie this morning, he confirmed that his soil mix has not been cooked. I've read that 2 months is a good period to allow the soil to cook. I'm planning to use the Biobizz Fish Mix for vegging and Biobizz Bloom for flowering.

1. What other nutrients and additives would I need to complete my organic living soil mix?

2. How long should I cook my soil and how will I know when it is ready?

3. What is the process of cooking?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice @Sir Smokalot. I look forward to your grow. What will you be lighting with for Indoor?

To be honest though, I was under the impression JGS soil is nutrient rich enough to not need any additional additives. Also, if you are adding Biobizz doesn't That make your plant Non-organic since you're using prepared chemicals? From what I've read, you just water with RO water and that's it. But let one of the admins correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning...

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I have used Jamies Garden orgasoilux. It contains all the neccesasary additive for 3 - 6 months. So IMO no additional additives to be added.

Cooking  is essential to ensure you dont burn your plants. Lesson learnt.

Keep it in breathable containers.

Toss the whole load out very couple of weeks and give it a good stir. Spray some AACT on it and work it through. Make sure its moist but never waterlogged. You will notice an amonia smell when its hot. When its ready your soil should be a consistent texture and great earthy smell.

Biobizz is an organic fertiliser. I have been using it with my organic setup and the plants are loving it. If you search the topic biobizz on this forum you will see there are many discussion around this topic.

Nice @Sir Smokalot. I look forward to your grow. What will you be lighting with for Indoor?

To be honest though, I was under the impression JGS soil is nutrient rich enough to not need any additional additives. Also, if you are adding Biobizz doesn't That make your plant Non-organic since you're using prepared chemicals? From what I've read, you just water with RO water and that's it. But let one of the admins correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning...

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

One 6500k 150w CFL & one 2700k 150w CFL + 150w HPS. This is the lights that I currently have. I'm planning to get some more smaller CFL's to distribute the light better and then I want upgrade the HPS bulb to 400w for my next grow.

As Toby mentioned the BioBizz range is completely Organic. :rastabanana

I have used Jamies Garden orgasoilux. It contains all the neccesasary additive for 3 - 6 months. So IMO no additional additives to be added.

Toss the whole load out very couple of weeks and give it a good stir. Spray some AACT on it and work it through. Make sure its moist but never waterlogged. You will notice an amonia smell when its hot. When its ready your soil should be a consistent texture and great earthy smell.

Biobizz is an organic fertiliser. I have been using it with my organic setup and the plants are loving it. If you search the topic biobizz on this forum you will see there are many discussion around this topic.

Regarding the cooking, must the container be kept in the sun or shade?

...and do I add the Biobizz during the cooking process or during the growth of the plant?

Thanks for all the advice!:-gthumb

Personally I keep mine in the shade as the container is black. I can imagine that it will heat up if exposed to sun for hours on end.

I dont feed my soil while its cooking. I only feed my plants. The ACCT is stimulate the microbe activity in the soil and help with the decomposition of the hot matter.

Hate to throw a spanner in your works but you actually want the soil to heat up.... that's where the term "cooking" comes from . By keeping the mix cool you are actually slowing down the process hugely. I have personally had soils that steam they are so hot from the microbial life working away. I know a grower that has boiled eggs in cooking soil lol

Cheers

Reaf

Thanks for that GLO. I was told by a nursery actually throw boiling water in the soil to kick start decomposition. I have noticed the water droplets from the steam against the lid of my container and normally when I handle the soil its quite warm. :-gthumb

Guest kimcarsons

Not boiling, but warm water can help. Rather just cook it up in the sun, like Reaf says, the soil must "Cook". You could add some molasses in the start perhaps.

Thanx Toby. Im learning so much :)

So now that I know the BioBizz is organic:

1. Where do I get it?

2. Do I only use it after the 3-6 months, since no additives are necesarry in that period?

@Sir Smokalot - Where'd you get your CFL's?

Most hydro stores should sell it.  Check Growguru, Hortishop or Hydroponic.co.za

It should be good for veg but feeding during this time can only be beneficial. That's the beauty of organics. The plant only uses what it needs. All strains are different with different nutritional needs. So look at what your plant needs and supplement accordingly. :-2cents

Thanx Toby. Im learning so much :)

So now that I know the BioBizz is organic:

1. Where do I get it?

2. Do I only use it after the 3-6 months, since no additives are necesarry in that period?

@Sir Smokalot - Where'd you get your CFL's?

@Heisenberg I ordered my CFL's from gthydro.co.za and Biobizz is available at hydroponic.co.za

For those who want to know all the ingredients in Jamie's Orgasoilux – Potting Soil – Premium living earth blend – 50 litre available from

http://www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za/shop/orgasoilux-potting-soil-premium-living-earth-blend-50-litre/

Contents:

Thermophilic compost, Cocopeat,  Perlite,  Earthworm castings/compost, Alfalfa/Lucerne meal, Basalt rock dust, Soft rock phosphate, Seabird guano, Calcitic lime, Dolomitic Lime,  Kelp meal and Diatomaceous Earth.

THERMOPHILIC COMPOST

• High heat compost ensures no pathogens
  • Natural carbon source
  • Contains humus and humic acids
  • Natural PH buffer
  • Contains beneficial micro organisms

COCOPEAT

• 100% organic multi-purpose growing medium.
  • Production does not harm the environment.
  • Excellent substrate for root development
  • Holds high air capacity even when completely saturated.
  • Ideal growing medium because of its water holding capacity and air filled porosity.
  • Best alternative to traditional peat moss.
  • With time develops a high buffer capacity that will enable the plants to overcome a short time deficiency of fertilizers and water.

PERLITE

• Improves aeration and drainage.
  • Insulates.
  • Stimulates root and vigorous growth.
  • Disease, weed and insect free.
  • Neutral PH
  • Allows nutrients and moisture to be readily available.

EARTHWORM COMPOST / VERMICOMPOST

• Contains natural highly beneficial soil microbes, bacteria and enzymes.
  • Improves soil texture
  • Provides water soluble nutrients
  • Excellent soil conditioner

ALFALFA/LUCERNE MEAL

• A slow releasing natural fertilizer
  • Contains a natural growth hormone – Triacontanol, which stimulates root development

BASALT ROCK DUST

• Rock dust containing 72 minerals and trace elements
  • Stimulates soil micro-organism activity
  • Contributes to building of humus complexes
  • Increases yields
  • Buffers PH levels

SOFT ROCK PHOSPHATE

• Slow releasing organic fertilizer

CALCITIC LIME

• Natural calcium source

DOLOMITE LIME

• Natural soil buffer
  • Natural source of magnesium and calcium

SEABIRD GUANO

• Natural slow releasing fertilizer, with nutrients and trace elements

KELP MEAL

• Retains water and fertiliser and then feeds it back to the plant/soil as the soil dries out
  • Contains auxins and cytokinins
  • Slowly releases nutrients beneficial to plant growth

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH

• Naturally occurring silica sediment.
  • Used for its natural insect repelling properties

I have eventually started the cooking process of my JGS Orgasoilux Mix. I separated the 50L into two AeroPrune Planters to make it easier to mix. I placed it in a spot that receives direct sunlight from 09:30 - 16:30.

I added some warm water (as advised) to both planters and just turned it thoroughly by hand so that the entire soil mix is damp. I then folded the AeroPrune planters closed and covered it with the original nylon 50L nylon bag and placed 2 bricks on top of it, so that the wind does not blow it over.

I still have to buy the Bokashi bran and live earthworms to add to the mix. I have decided not to use BioBizz or ANY liquid fertilizer during the cooking or planting process so that I can evaluate how good the soil really is, and if necessary make the adjustments for my next grow.

Let the cooking begin!!! :rastabanana

PTDC0148.thumb.JPG.5ccc525c55f43215a9e2067f7d8e38f8.JPG

PTDC0149.thumb.JPG.99becb1f35d4b0fa985ee339813a65a3.JPG

PTDC0152.thumb.JPG.c21b4d6c6993b8f3fd035bd6f6e96529.JPG

PTDC0150.thumb.JPG.f5c0bc96f604e768c0640f9d2eb2b41a.JPG

PTDC0151.thumb.JPG.93a6a072f7e1ee68dc5c30e719c5982b.JPG

So in theory, if cooked correctly, you should be able to do your entire grow by only feeding water? Considering you'll pot up, adding fresh soil every time you do so. Or am i wrong?

That's exactly right CK! I have realised that Hydroponics takes a lot of effort during the grow where as I'm learning that all the hard work is done before the actual Organic soil grow and less during the actual growing. Also growing in soil is less forgiving for a newbie IMO :-puffin

Mmmm now Im unsure about what I've done. I bought some Organasoilux from Jamie on friday and he didnt tell me anything about cooking. Infact, I told him that i've got a worm farm in my yard and he adviced me to dry the compost out and chuck a thick amount of it over my soil mix as a top soil and water as needed, the compost wont burn the plants in anyway. So now that my Baby North is already growing in "uncooked" soil, what am I missing out on?

Mmmm now Im unsure about what I've done. I bought some Organasoilux from Jamie on friday and he didnt tell me anything about cooking. Infact, I told him that i've got a worm farm in my yard and he adviced me to dry the compost out and chuck a thick amount of it over my soil mix as a top soil and water as needed, the compost wont burn the plants in anyway. So now that my Baby North is already growing in "uncooked" soil, what am I missing out on?

I also bought 50L last week Friday from Jamie!

He actually advised me that I don't need to cook the soil mix BUT according to Toby's previous post in "So it begins - Feb 2015" his plants fried after transferring his to JGS Orgasoilux mix.  Best would be to confirm with Toby exactly how long it took before the plants started showing signs of being over-cooked and what he did to recover it.

My soil mix has been cooking since 9 Sep, will keep you guys updated as to how the cooking process is going.