Preparation for my first Organic Indoor & Outdoor Grow

@Toby When you used the JGS mix the first time and your plants suffered. What did you do to make your plants recover? http://www.420sa.co.za/index.php/topic,341.45.html

I would suggest check with Jamie about the batch in question. I know he has made various batches and my batch specific was very heavy in lime. As a result of no cooking due to inexperience and lack of knowledge, I placed in my babies in this uncooked soil, as a result they got screwed, excuse the pun. Jamie did give me some aact to help with the settling of the soil. It took a few doses and I managed to save 2, 1 unfortunately died, the stress was most probably to much. :'(

What I did. I was fearing the worst, having babied my little ones from seed and experiencing its own set of ball aches, I was determined not to lose them. Took cuttings from all of them, as backup. All of this obviously threw a major spanner in the works to my timeline and schedule. Those cuttings are currently in flower. When in doubt take cuttings,lol

I will admit at the time, it wasn't cool at all. BUT did I not go through all those testing times I would not have gained that experience which is priceless IMO.

My best advice, dont let bad experiences get you down. Use it as an opportunity to learn, if you fail, you know you wont make the same mistake again.

Big plus is 420SA and all its members to help you along the way.

Happy growing.

:-peace

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Toby When you used the JGS mix the first time and your plants suffered. What did you do to make your plants recover? http://www.420sa.co.za/index.php/topic,341.45.html

I would suggest check with Jamie about the batch in question. I know he has made various batches and my batch specific was very heavy in lime. As a result of no cooking due to inexperience and lack of knowledge, I placed in my babies in this uncooked soil, as a result they got screwed, excuse the pun. Jamie did give me some aact to help with the settling of the soil. It took a few doses and I managed to save 2, 1 unfortunately died, the stress was most probably to much. :'(

What I did. I was fearing the worst, having babied my little ones from seed and experiencing its own set of ball aches, I was determined not to lose them. Took cuttings from all of them, as backup. All of this obviously threw a major spanner in the works to my timeline and schedule. Those cuttings are currently in flower. When in doubt take cuttings,lol

I will admit at the time, it wasn't cool at all. BUT did I not go through all those testing times I would not have gained that experience which is priceless IMO.

My best advice, dont let bad experiences get you down. Use it as an opportunity to learn, if you fail, you know you wont make the same mistake again.

Big plus is 420SA and all its members to help you along the way.

Happy growing.

:-peace

Jamie advised me that its not necessary to cook, so it could be that he adjusted the recipe. I will be watching @Heisenberg's PC grow with great interest because we both bought Orgasoilux on the same day.  If his seedlings survive for 2 weeks then I will start potting up immediately.:-flyinghi

Good plan bud

One suggestion is to take a black bag and cover the top of the soil with it, press it down right on top of the soil . This will act like a solar radiator and help heat the soil and keep the moisture in.

Cheers

Reaf

I followed your advice! :thumbups It's a beautiful hot day outside! Perfect for cooking! :) :-bow

PTDC0154.thumb.JPG.5d04a67bed4c433a4f7e0ba4b4a11990.JPG

PTDC0155.thumb.JPG.e79f13a23be438d5135199bea645af9d.JPG

PTDC0157.thumb.JPG.434091f55542e7c5233d871bf364ffad.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I need advice guys! Yesterday I potted up some of the JGS mix and tested the drainage by filling the pot with water. The soil stayed waterlogged for 20 - 30 minutes and there was very little perlite which usually floats to the top. When I look at Heisenberg's JGS mix that he collected on the same day, I notice that he has much more perlite in his mix. Do you think I should contact Jamie regarding this or should I go buy my own perlite to add to the mix?

Note that I've seen no signs of the JGS mix even heating up and there is no change in smell either. Any advice will be appreciated.:poke

A simple question, was your bags sitting flat on the floor or was it raised?

If it was flat on the floor drainage would have been hampered. :-2cents

The pot I used had 3 rows of holes on the side (at the bottom) and many holes and a crack at the bottom of the pot. I added a little bit of leca at the bottom which is about 1 inch high. I placed the pot on top of the other JGS mix when I was watering.

IMG-20150919-00038.thumb.jpg.964588ccd58763b31d65daa9870a832f.jpg

IMG-20150919-00040.thumb.jpg.7306a3c4ea718b0b06b4b7ddd5782bd6.jpg

IMG-20150919-00039.thumb.jpg.d0cee7326873f80b02397231d239c444.jpg

I removed the Leca as you suggested @Toby. I filled the pot only enough to cover the holes on the side, which is about 7cm high. I allowed the water to drain into the AeroPlanter. Drainage was slightly better but it's still waterlogged after 15 minutes. Check out the picture with runoff on the soil in the AeroPlanter. It took about 5 minutes to sink into the soil but its still waterlogged like hell!

IMG-20150921-00045.thumb.jpg.d1998e476c9815c2a3039d5e8dfd9678.jpg

IMG-20150921-00046.thumb.jpg.1eba1ff14d256c64450dc9744fa3178b.jpg

IMG-20150921-00044.thumb.jpg.128f1c08b85e4c4a29b93330066fddb4.jpg

IMG-20150921-00042.thumb.jpg.62882dd7725bff3dee0926263c3fc0c4.jpg

IMG-20150921-00043.thumb.jpg.9763b6ed2cf3bae6f8895407efdc5ce3.jpg

I bought some JSG on wednesday. Mine doesn't look like yours. I have a seed in a plastic cup, it holds water for about a day, but the drainage is good, mostly everything passes through. So maybe it was a bad batch.

It looks like a received a bad batch. I sent Jamie an email now with all the pictures to inform him of the drainage problems. Will keep you guys updated! Thank you all for your input!:thumbups

This was the email response that I received from Jamie:

How much water did you run through it?

What I see is a common problem with people and my soil mix is over watering, especially people who are new to soil.

Any soil can become saturated with water if you run enough water through.

Orgasoilux has stayed the same ratios for 4 years now, they only things that are tweaked or added are nutrients and minerals.

I have tested various ratios of substrates and found this to be the best.

You did receive the exact same batch as the other customer on that day.

I run 100Ls of soil mix at a time in a cement mixer that was purchased only for soil mixing, this is to ensure a thorough mixing of the soil.

The perlite does become brown when mixed and this why it may look like there is less, but it is the same amount in every batch.

I have many customers using the orgasoilux with no problems, and I also use the soil mix all the time so I have a hands on experience with how its working.

I suggest easing up on watering and adding some mulch which helps to break the water up and spread it more evenly onto the soil.

Most people are only watering once a week now in the cooler months.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

He sent me another email shortly afterward:

If you really feel you got a "bad batch" I will swop it for you no problem.

But I do feel it is an over watering issue.

Cheers

This was the email response that I received from Jamie:

How much water did you run through it?

What I see is a common problem with people and my soil mix is over watering, especially people who are new to soil.

Any soil can become saturated with water if you run enough water through.

Orgasoilux has stayed the same ratios for 4 years now, they only things that are tweaked or added are nutrients and minerals.

I have tested various ratios of substrates and found this to be the best.

You did receive the exact same batch as the other customer on that day.

I run 100Ls of soil mix at a time in a cement mixer that was purchased only for soil mixing, this is to ensure a thorough mixing of the soil.

The perlite does become brown when mixed and this why it may look like there is less, but it is the same amount in every batch.

I have many customers using the orgasoilux with no problems, and I also use the soil mix all the time so I have a hands on experience with how its working.

I suggest easing up on watering and adding some mulch which helps to break the water up and spread it more evenly onto the soil.

Most people are only watering once a week now in the cooler months.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

He sent me another email shortly afterward:

If you really feel you got a "bad batch" I will swop it for you no problem.

But I do feel it is an over watering issue.

Cheers

Jamie gave me very good service and offered to replace it with a fresh batch. :thumbups What do you guys think should I go for a fresh batch?

I would suggest let it dry out completely (maybe a week or more) and then introduce acct to repopulate the microbes. :-2cents

Day 12 - Baby North

All going well, second leaves are still busy sprouting. A small friend popped out next to Baby North. Plucked it out. Growth seems abit slow or maybe I'm just too excited. Consdering getting a humidity and temp monitor,  any recommendations?

321f3670807f7dd919af12b927a187dd.jpg

Thank @Toby Have a look at the above post on @Heisenberg's thread. We collected JGS on the same day from the same batch as Jamie confirmed. I'm trying to learn from any mistakes Heisenberg may have made regarding overwatering.

I think I will follow your advice and then add a bag of perlite and maybe coco to help aeration and drainage.

I've been using Jamies soil for some time now.. From sprouting seedlings to transplanting clones into it. I use mycorrhizal fungi and sprinkle some worm castings before each transplant. For a 25 liter pot I've been watering 1liter every 7 days and it's ample. This week I noticed at day 5 my plants looked thirsty so watered, those in Cape Town will know that our heat has doubled and humidity has dropped by half in the last week so I'll probably water every 5 days going forward and peak summer every 3-4 days.

Lately I've been buying the actual soil kit from Jamie and mixing it myself. He suggests 90 liters of compost, I add 60L organic compost and 40L mushroom compost, making my addition 100 liters, no cooking and so far no probs. for feeding I do AACT every 2 weeks and other times I use plain water or bio grow and bio bloom... Cos that stuff is the shit hehe! I have my own worm bin which I feed banana peel, tea bags, alfalfa, carrots, lettuce, cardboard etc. for a quick 24 hour brew I use EWC and molasses, heated to 26'c

I've made my own super soils etc in the past and fried plants by not cooking so it's something that's always on my mind. If I make my own I cook at least 2 months but with JGS I just mix and use within the same week.

Just my opinion. Btw, having little mushrooms etc pop out your soil is excellent!!! Perfect sign of good fungi and a good living mix. 

I've gone as far as making my own compost pile now so soon I won't even be buying compost any more. Some pics attached of plants in JGS soil.. I also attached a pic of 2 plants I put outside in August which started flowering immediately, for those outdoor growers who didn't know you can pull 2 outdoor harvests over summer. Clones out from August - September then start again from October through til Feb. First lot won't be as dense and chunky as peak summer but it's great for hash and a little personal collection.

image.thumb.jpg.3f90ff3e40e23c54c234e30ca44ec428.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.dc6e39517aeb8f2819266a02daaca9d0.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.e6c57fab06f35120a94a17d826adfdff.jpg