CoolJ Grows

CoolJ

Here we go again! 

So after a fairly successful last run, we grow again, but this time I'm switching it up abit going the synthetic route 😬

I will be growing 2x Jet Fuel Gelato from Compound Genetics and 2 x Crescendo from Ethos. 

I might squeeze in 1 special Headbanger clone gifted to me from @Dr. Green

All in 15L pots with CannaPro substrate and will be feeding Mega Solutions along with the Silicon and Amino boost. 

I'm excited to see and learn how it goes synthetic nutrients. 

IMG_20210510_210408.jpg

IMG_20210510_213155.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

24 days later and plants are not looking too bad. 

I had a slight bug problem but got some preditor mites for 2 weeks then sprayed Pyrol as an extra measure. 

I added the 1st net this week. The 2 Crescendo are on the left, they are stocky with shorter internode spacing while the Jet Fuel Gelato on the right is way more stretchy with longer internode spacing. 

The Headbanger in the middle is similar to the Crescendo. 

I will probably flip in the next 2 weeks depending on how they look. 

Looking to add Blumats for auto watering but not sure yet. 

IMG_20210607_180321.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Another little update... 

I installed Blumats and a resvior about 3 weeks ago as I'll be away from my grow for a few days at a time, so I've been trying to tune it in(not that easy) I think I finally got it more or less but I've noticed 1 plant looking hungry and the dripper was slightly blocked so will have to check that regularly. 

The growth has been good so far, I might of just topped the Headbanger one too many times so light penetration is not that great but I've tried to defoliate abit. 

I still have the "bite" mark problem but it's not every where and I've kind of given up on trying to find out what it is. 

I've had some preditor mites on for the past week as well just as extra protection. 

I flipped to 12/12 on Monday so waiting to see how much they will stretch in the next 2 weeks. 

IMG_20210629_213037.jpg

IMG_20210629_213132.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

woooaah good golly, sooo since May 13 till today I count as 49 days, it took you a month and 10 days to fill up a 1.2 x 1.2 tent with 5 plants in 15L pots? 

I get that clones take about 2/3 weeks shorter veg time than growing from seed, but this is impressive!

plants are looking damn good too!

🤘

Thanks man. 

Yeah the growth has been great, it's my 1st time using Salt Based Nutrients so I think it might be that is speeding up my Veg. 

Excited to see how they will be in flower. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CoolJ said:

Thanks man. 

Yeah the growth has been great, it's my 1st time using Salt Based Nutrients so I think it might be that is speeding up my Veg. 

Excited to see how they will be in flower. 

oh yeah the "hybrid hydro way" will speed things up a bit yeah. 😁

good on ya mate, excited to see the rest!! 

On 7/1/2021 at 6:56 AM, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

woooaah good golly, sooo since May 13 till today I count as 49 days, it took you a month and 10 days to fill up a 1.2 x 1.2 tent with 5 plants in 15L pots? 

I get that clones take about 2/3 weeks shorter veg time than growing from seed, but this is impressive!

plants are looking damn good too!

🤘

Remember clones still take around 1 to 2 weeks to root.

Feeding plants with nutes which are readily available speeds up growth for sure. Even in soil.

6 weeks from veg to flowers is typically what most do.

@CoolJ Plants are looking great and healthy! Also keen to see how they turn out 😄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Remember clones still take around 1 to 2 weeks to root.

yeah, I get what you mean, but if you wana get technical, he didn't come in with an unrooted clone, he put an already rooted plant into a bigger pot to start off with.

I take it as he got a clone from somewhere, be it his friend, his other tent, his aunty or whatever but the taking of the cut and the rooting of the clone wasn't shown as part of this grow. 

this is actually a valid topic of discussion hahah, if you get a clone from somewhere and go straight to a bigger pot and you are out giving reports on how long to veg a plant, do you tell people the included cutting and rooting time or do you just give the duration of time since you got it?

cause in this case, and many others, I have seen the clones quite big already and can be concidered a month old plant already, so if you veg them 2 months to fill a space you should be saying it took you 3 months? 

so mr. coolJ is actually at 8/9 weeks veg and not 6 weeks? 

add on - if we pop a seed and it's at 1 month we don't disregard that 1st few weeks as part of the plants life, but we do with clones?

or should we start counting Day 1 of Week 1 only when we can start feeding it and call it a plant already?

Edited by Naughty.Psychonaut
add on
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

yeah, I get what you mean, but if you wana get technical, he didn't come in with an unrooted clone, he put an already rooted plant into a bigger pot to start off with.

I take it as he got a clone from somewhere, be it his friend, his other tent, his aunty or whatever but the taking of the cut and the rooting of the clone wasn't shown as part of this grow. 

this is actually a valid topic of discussion hahah, if you get a clone from somewhere and go straight to a bigger pot and you are out giving reports on how long to veg a plant, do you tell people the included cutting and rooting time or do you just give the duration of time since you got it?

cause in this case, and many others, I have seen the clones quite big already and can be concidered a month old plant already, so if you veg them 2 months to fill a space you should be saying it took you 3 months? 

so mr. coolJ is actually at 8/9 weeks veg and not 6 weeks? 

add on - if we pop a seed and it's at 1 month we don't disregard that 1st few weeks as part of the plants life, but we do with clones?

or should we start counting Day 1 of Week 1 only when we can start feeding it and call it a plant already?

Well this is the thing, are clones really quicker than growing from seed if you take into account the germination process and the rooting process?

Also the size of your cutting plays a role, a bigger cutting may save time compared to a smaller cutting.

If growing from seed, I feel one should start counting from when the plant is in the medium but this will vary depending on germination method.

I like to use paper towel and put into medium when I see tails, others pop the seeds straight into the medium and wouldn't be able to see when the tails show.

For cuttings, I feel once again one can start counting once there are sufficient roots to be potted into the medium and/or once the cutting is in the medium.

Still variances, although most of the time it's minor and in the bigger scheme of things doesn't really matter all that much, unless you are comparing your grow against someone else's.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Well this is the thing, are clones really quicker than growing from seed if you take into account the germination process and the rooting process?

Also the size of your cutting plays a role, a bigger cutting may save time compared to a smaller cutting.

If growing from seed, I feel one should start counting from when the plant is in the medium but this will vary depending on germination method.

I like to use paper towel and put into medium when I see tails, others pop the seeds straight into the medium and wouldn't be able to see when the tails show.

For cuttings, I feel once again one can start counting once there are sufficient roots to be potted into the medium and/or once the cutting is in the medium.

Still variances, although most of the time it's minor and in the bigger scheme of things doesn't really matter all that much, unless you are comparing your grow against someone else's.

yeah everyone pops seeds different, and clones may differ in size and all that. 

I would say, to ease things out and make it fair, look at both sides and what would denominate the main factor, which would be getting a plant started. So in a sense, if you didn't do "that one thing" there would be no chance of there being a plant.

In my opinion that would be, in the case of growing from seed, taking the seed out its package and placing it in the medium/ shot glass/ paper towel/ whatever it may be, the important part is you are getting the seed going. that is Day 1 with seed. to me.

day one for clones should be the day you slip that freshly cut wound into the medium it's gona root in/ bubble cloner/ coco pellet/ rockwool/ whatever. because this would also be "getting a plant started" and I feel this should be looked at the same as putting the seed in the medium... 🤷‍♂️

59 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

yeah everyone pops seeds different, and clones may differ in size and all that. 

I would say, to ease things out and make it fair, look at both sides and what would denominate the main factor, which would be getting a plant started. So in a sense, if you didn't do "that one thing" there would be no chance of there being a plant.

In my opinion that would be, in the case of growing from seed, taking the seed out its package and placing it in the medium/ shot glass/ paper towel/ whatever it may be, the important part is you are getting the seed going. that is Day 1 with seed. to me.

day one for clones should be the day you slip that freshly cut wound into the medium it's gona root in/ bubble cloner/ coco pellet/ rockwool/ whatever. because this would also be "getting a plant started" and I feel this should be looked at the same as putting the seed in the medium... 🤷‍♂️

Yes, if you want to try standardize everything to make it easier to compare then this is the way to go.

For seeds - once you drop that seed into the medium, water whatever to allow it to start the germination process.

For cuttings - the day you take them.

• Agree 1

yeah hahah well we are discussing on how to compare this correctly, because you mentioned I should consider the time it took him to root and all.

I guess in all situations before comparing anything that differs so much and has endless variabilities you should standardize things or find common ground between the subjects atleast. 

otherwise you be making poor comparisons.

@Naughty.Psychonautthose are valid points, and the clones were rooted before transplanting. I only started counting when I got them and planted them in. 

I agree with @PsyCLownthat if it was a competition on days of growth or something like that the date of cutting is important. 

I'm not trying to fool anyone with the days of veg, it's just how I keep track. With seed I count from the day it popped up from the medium. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Day 18 update. 

The canopy is way too full! 

The Crescendo on the left is looking the best in terms of overall health. The Headbanger in the middle is not too bad either just too many tops wich I removed some to increase light penatration. 

The Jet Fuel Gelato seems abit more hungry than the rest and stretched right under the light and showed some heat stress but nothing too concerning. 

I'll stick to 4 plants or not scrog if grow more again. 

Also growing remotely since flower so not being able to do daily maintenance is not ideal for me. 

I did a big defoliation and supercrop after the pictures so hopefully they will bounce back. 

IMG_20210716_174138.jpg

IMG_20210716_182406.jpg

IMG_20210716_182413.jpg

• Like 2
  • Fire! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Week 4 of Flower and things aren't looking too bad. 

Everything is starting to get frosty and pick up weight only the head banger lacking behind but I think with the increased light she might start picking up. 

I've got 2 new 120w lights as I felt that the 420w wasn't enough but then decided to remove 1 x 90w to start my up my 2nd tent (Something loud coming) I'm excited to see if I can and by how much I can improve my yeild. 

IMG_20210726_171556.jpg

IMG_20210726_172958.jpg

IMG_20210726_174643.jpg

IMG_20210726_174737.jpg

IMG_20210726_191933.jpg

• Like 1
  • Fire! 2

• 4 weeks later...

I finally decided to harvest. 

The 1 Crescendo and Headbanger could of definitely gone abit longer but due to space everything must be Chopped! 

This was definitely a challenging grow, not being there daily to check up on plants and feeding has cause some problems. 

The Blumat watering worked great but needs to be monitored daily as I've had pipes blocked abit and those plants sufferred from that only noticing a few days later. 

Now time to wait and see how they turn out and taste. 

IMG_20210823_114918.jpg

IMG_20210823_114922.jpg

• Like 3
  • Fire! 3