a Different Kinda Indoor Growing 🍄

Naughty.Psychonaut

What is up good people,

here is a little something I have been busy with the last few months that I think some of you might like... 

a Mushroom Farm, well getting there hahah

This is as primitive as things get, I plan to make a few bucks out the place to cover the expenses and invest to get something proper going. Building the same setup with Isoboards is what I am going for, already got quotes to get some frames welded for hanging and making use of vertical space as I have plenty. Just waiting for a cash flow. I teamed up with a guy who's doing the marketing, I am doing all of the growing. Any questions welcome.

Incubation "room". Dimentions: W2mxL3mxH3m. Wood frame to hold thick black plastic to create complete dark room. 1/3rd of the wall on the left is covered with 90% black shade net folded double so the the room can breathe, but let minimal light in. 20210330_085843.thumb.jpg.d63198abf96f3241c40cbdadba5bb7a5.jpg

inside incubation, with few colonising20210330_085928.thumb.jpg.d2412d696eae32755bb9e1f119e95df9.jpg

Hard to get a good pic, but here is the grow room. W3mxL5mxH3m. wood frame to hold a UV protected opaque plastic. 20210330_085727.thumb.jpg.c6360b6740d85b77e109caeb574bd67f.jpg

door open. RH on 98%20210330_093842.thumb.jpg.9735f33b85bfcff174e601fdadd487fd.jpg

The Reservoir. I got a 70L thick black tote bin with a constant water level, pumping ultrasonic fog into my grow room. you can see the whaft it pumps out20210330_093952.thumb.jpg.4f0261245b5e014003359e389e8cbb88.jpg

Inside the Res, I got a M6 fogger, they sent me the wrong floater and I had to improvise with a pool noodle, works 100%. I got a water line pumping water into the res (visible in photo above) with a floater valve to shut it off and keep it from running over. 20210330_093928.thumb.jpg.9e7b334bc0640eb0e29237b91520ee48.jpg

got a 20cm inline fan system running, if I put the fogger off it sucks the 98%RH down to 40% in 10min. got a piece of the black shade net over the mouth of the fan to keep spores from building up inside the fan, gets cleaned weekly. 20210330_094005.thumb.jpg.6baad8e0b9e3d329934909fd1dcaf5bb.jpg

most importan, Sonoff TH16 booooiiiii 🤘 once I get the grow room going, I have to leave the fan off. put the fogger on, let it build to about 95%Rh, then I switch the fan on and leave it on. I got the fogger running on the Sonoff, when the RH drops below 90% it kicks the fogger on, once it reaches 98% it switches back off. Room never really gets wet, except for minimal droplets that form on the floor over a period of day, walls are never wet, but air stays very moist. very important.20210330_090042.thumb.jpg.4c0691f33a6f76ce6dde06dea3bb22a7.jpg

Now, some shroomies20210226_114421.thumb.jpg.ad0e74c248f088fcac0e47542e3687bf.jpg20210226_114409.thumb.jpg.a954d3faedff6bf1213a02f5ef5635d9.jpg20210226_114331.thumb.jpg.b099708df7f861b3480c7c919fdc2140.jpg20210226_114323.thumb.jpg.2184ffd5244da84f613554663a96eb6a.jpg20210226_114250.thumb.jpg.9bed6d8b9c2b158eb0b49c18f1085873.jpg20210224_082052.thumb.jpg.9d2ed298814786a6d393e887a34692c5.jpg20210330_090323.thumb.jpg.f1e9bea9f6a22903c487970ef6d71135.jpg20210226_114216.thumb.jpg.193bf2f8f19753440c74a3e61eb4961d.jpg20210330_090206.thumb.jpg.9725df64ac597fe3abcfa417a9278cb1.jpg20210226_114115.thumb.jpg.d966dc19b88ddea746237a9621881076.jpg20210226_114140.thumb.jpg.b0bdce940416ff1a3d9761dc410ad0af.jpg

• Like 10

Nice dude! I hope you have lots of time on your hands, the work to produce a rolling crop of decent volume is mountainous. After losing a few full crops and our market(imports are popular and cheap), we made the decision to scale down and now only grow for our own table. Anything extra we give to the people living around us. 

GOOD LUCK man! Please keep the pictures coming. 

*Why have you gone with a blacked out room? They don't need to it to fruit or colonize the substrate in the bags. Vast majority of the available information states that enough light to read a news paper is sufficient for the spawn run.  

Edited by Adansonia digitata
Asking questions
  • Like 1

I grew psy active shrooms in a cupboard with a friend once. As long as you work sterile, isn't that difficult... counts for a cupboard hehehe your project looks a bit more complex.

The result was just way to strong to my liking. Last time we had our shrooms was on a outdoor techno party. 2 had to vomit like on mescaline 🤭 and Lorena, friend, more or less passed out. She said was awesome.. but I trashed those shrooms after the party right away 😂  Dosing those bastards was way to hard.. and I wasn't in the mood to play genie pig 😛

Very curious to see how your project will go 😊

Edited by Prom
typo.. has more ^^
  • Like 2

@Bos 

thanks man! if you're interested in oysters on a small scale I can give you few easy steps to follow and you can get some hay colonised with mycelium from a mushroom bought at the shop. Oysters such as grey, white, pink, yellow, blue oysters work best for this. Shiitake, Lion's mane, Shimeji and even King Oyster and the White button and Portabello mushrooms need a bit more intensive care. 

if you talking bout active ones, can walk you through easiest method for small scale with those too 🤘

@Adansonia digitata

thank you thank you! hahah yeah I've offered up my weekends long time ago, found myself with a whole lot of free time. I do thorough clean out on sunday, keeping both rooms as clean as I can. during the week I just pop by every second day for an hour or two. Do harvests, small clean ups, check ups. Not too much effort thanks to the Sonoff. 🤙

the marketing is more time consuming right now

the dark period helps a bunch when introducing fruiting conditions, the sudden light acts as another shock mechanizm to get the mycelium to fruit. resulting in earlier pin sets. we've actually done a few tests with few strains. let the bag sit in the fruiting room and one next to it with a black bag over. colonising times was even quicker, so quicker colonise and fruits. just think about biomimicary, where do most mycelium grow best? below the surface. even though you get mycelium on the surface sometimes, you might not need the dark for colonising, but it sure helps. and gives you another angle to come at it when comes time to fruit. 

@Prom

hahahah yeah they can teach one a lesson real quick!!! the oysters you don't even need to be that sterile with, I do open air inoculation and cold lime treatment to get my substrate "sterile". Haven't had 1 single spot of contamination in over 100kg of treated substrate. 😏 with the active shroomies it's a bit of a different story. still easy, but you have to get a few things in place before just going at it all willy nilly. I have a monotub going every other month

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

the dark period helps a bunch when introducing fruiting conditions, the sudden light acts as another shock mechanizm to get the mycelium to fruit. resulting in earlier pin sets. we've actually done a few tests with few strains. let the bag sit in the fruiting room and one next to it with a black bag over. colonising times was even quicker, so quicker colonise and fruits. just think about biomimicary, where do most mycelium grow best? below the surface. even though you get mycelium on the surface sometimes, you might not need the dark for colonising, but it sure helps. and gives you another angle to come at it when comes time to fruit. 

This information is incorrect, brother. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adansonia digitata said:

This information is incorrect, brother. 

hmm...... 

seems very strange then that I would get the results I did with the tests I did. 

I don't even wana go into "this research said this" and "that research said that". 

I want proof.

care to show me some experiments you've done to back what you're saying? 

and then maybe coming by my setup and show me how to get the right results?

• Like 1

I would like to highlight again what I said before 

1 hour ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

you might not need the dark for colonising, but it sure helps.

as you are probably aware that mushrooms need a form of "shock treatment" to signal they need to start making fruit bodies. Now, light surely isn't a primary trigger for primordium formation, but using the factor of going from dark to light aids in the shock treatment... 

if you're saying there is no difference in total darkness and a light source to mushrooms..... I just wouldn't say that, it's absurd. ofcourse mushrooms sense light. 

again, let me highlight this, 

1 hour ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

you might not need the dark for colonising, but it sure helps

• Like 1

bro,

you can just show me proof of your results and my mind will be fully changed. 

based my setup off findings I made through the years of doing this. 

I definitly didn't come from nothing and set up a whole mushroom production facility, some research has been done here. 

and I am not talking bout reading a book on how to do this and that. research as in getting my hands dirty and doing real life experiments. 

• Like 1

@Adansonia digitata

you're saying dark room isn't needed for colonising. 

I know this, and if you understood what I said correctly, you would know that this is what I meant.

point is, the information I gave based on my dark room isn't incorrect, as a matter of fact it is spot on. and I know it is and I don't even need to have any back and forth about it. you asked me what it's for and I told you.  

for someone to say information based on experiments is wrong is funny

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Adansonia digitata said:

Sure thing dude. Good luck with your venture.  

13 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

@Adansonia digitata

I know this, and if you understood what I said correctly, you would know that this is what I meant.

point is, the information I gave based on my dark room isn't incorrect, as a matter of fact it is spot on. and I know it is and I don't even need to have any back and forth about it. you asked me what it's for and I told you.  

for someone to say information based on experiments is wrong is funny

Lets see your data then? I'd be interested in seeing which spawn run(light/dark) achieved a better BE. 

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. 

• Like 1

well besides the plenty of photos I originally posted acting as literal proof, I will  try to go dig up the photos I took when we did the actual test. 

these tests where done exactly because of the things you're saying right now. half of the mycology community sais what you're saying. but what happens when you put it to the test?

another point, we wanted to see what works for us. in our situation. conditions and all, mushroom life can be very sensetive and small environmental changes can have big impacts. so to find out what works for us we wheren't too concerned about what others say or think. we're not out to teach anyone how to do anything. we've got the info, enough of it to play around and see what gets US the best results.

as we are only focussing on the oysters for the time being and obvious that this is the mushroom we're speaking of here since there's only oysters in my photos, we ran Elf, Grey and Pink oysters. The difference was most noticable with the Elf, but definitly a difference across the board.

we took 10 bags of each, 5kg substrate per bag. 90g of spawn per bag. 

5 Bags Elf uncovered - 24 days till 100% colonised

5 Bags Elf covered - 14 days till 100% colonisation

5 Bags Grey uncovered - 19 days till 100% colonised

5 Bags Grey covered - 15 days till 100% colonised

5 Bags Pink uncovered - 17 days till 100% colonised

5 Bags Pink covered - 15 days till 100% colonised. 

some of the uncovered pink oyster actually started fruiting out the top of the bag. I assume there was a hole. 

I have seen mushrooms even growing fruiting bodies in complete darkness, this doesn't mean mushrooms SHOULD be grown in the dark. it just means it can.

we should always look to biomimicary. 

nature is flexible and can bear and endure strange forms of manipulation, this doesn't mean we HAVE to push those limits. 

• Like 1

the fact that you would refute something that's already been prooved goes beyond me,

you don't have to believe anything, but take note of this, learning requires the ability to not assume one already knows everything.

and that based off ego and emotions, with an attitude like that you will run into a few problems in life

• Like 1

what's good @Pandy

Indeed, I do. During colonisation the mycelium will expel much less Carbon dioxide than needed to form good reproductive organs, however there will still be a build up inside the bag. Fungi breathe in Oxygen and breathe out Carbon dioxide, so fresh air is needed, just much less than when time comes to fruit. 

What I do, after packing bags, wipe down with alcohol, get a sterile medical needle, poke holes roughly 2.5 to 3cm apart from eachother all over the bag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

the fact that you would refute something that's already been prooved goes beyond me,

you don't have to believe anything, but take note of this, learning requires the ability to not assume one already knows everything.

and that based off ego and emotions, with an attitude like that you will run into a few problems in life

I don't see egotistical or emotional behavior in my responses. I think this is possibly a default defense mech you're displaying by claiming it, so whatever floats your boat... I have never claimed to know everything, I merely gave input regarding to a subject I have a good understanding and real experience with. I don't recall disputing your bro-science "trial/experiment" data. All that was said is the dark period is not required. YOU seem to have taken this personally(*ego*). 

Good luck with your venture, I hope you manage to get an offtake agreement or a regular customer base. We lost our market due to the importation being very cheap, and the BIG local supplier being able to produce volumes which we could not compete with while trying to hold down corporate jobs, and the plethora of hobbies we hold dear.

For the last time.... Good luck with your venture, and wear a respirator.     

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Adansonia digitata said:

All that was said is the dark period is not required.

yes, I said this, literally in my first reply to what you said, here it is

23 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

you might not need the dark for colonising, but it sure helps. and gives you another angle to come at it when comes time to fruit. 

and I restated it, trying to make it clear for you 

21 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

@Adansonia digitata

the sole idea that you wana tell me data captured from an actual experiment I actually did is wrong, is taking it personal, brother............

I am not aiming to take over the market and fill up my pockets here. I am aiming to sustain my hobby of growing mushrooms on a bigger scale. If I can get a local contract to ensure my rent and other essential resources are all covered, I'll be happy and keep on growing. 

good luck to you in general man

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

The sole idea that you *want to tell me data the captured from an actual experiment I did is wrong, is taking it personal, brother............

um, I'm looking for where that was said... 

*not here either 

The fact of the matter is that dark is not a requirement for either fruiting or colonization. End van die prent... 

Edited by Adansonia digitata
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adansonia digitata said:

The fact of the matter is that dark is not a requirement for either fruiting or colonization. End van die prent... 

again,

this is exactly what I said....... 

then you tried saying my information is incorrect.

if you weren't butthurt about my setup being built the way you would've built it, or whatever is making you feel the way you do, you wouldn't let that cloud your ability to understand what you're reading.

listen here, as much as the dark is not a requirement light is also not a requirement. 

as proven by my setup.

so where exactly you wana go with this? you want me to rebuild my setup cz you read something somewhere???

give it up man

• Like 1

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to the community for this shit behavior on my behalf. While I stand by what I have mentioned it's poor forum to not substantiate the claims.

@Naughty.Psychonaut The intention was not to shit shit on your methods or your experiment. I've obviously upset your groove/offended you. I'm sorry dude.  

• Like 2