Who uses HID currently?

CreX

• 4 months later...

Greetings all!

I've just introduced a LUMII Black HPS light kit in my tent. Only opted for this because the Black Friday special for the entire kit I found last year was cheaper than the cost price of the ballast alone in the grow shop I used to work in. I also keep the little LED lighting I do have for my seedling/propagation tank (>200W), which isn't enough to see my veg phase through in the tent (4x4 / 120x120x200). Another reason for my choice of lighting is just the type of flower I've consumed over the last few years grown under HID lighting. I've noticed a certain look, appeal and structure that I'm after that I haven't really found with LED grows. Not to say I've tried every LED-grown flower (or other lighting for that matter), or knew every part of those flowers' journies, or the growers personally or whatever darn else they put into that grow. The technology is old, but the results have been proving consistent (and if not better) than other options out there. I'd like to master this process throughout, and show it can be done - with some work - to the final step, and help provide some more information one day for others. 'Spose I'm just the sort of fanatic that looks forward to the challenges HPS growing will bring!

So I'm currently doing the craziest thing in Durban and vegging out under a dimmed-down 200W of a dual spectrum bulb, without an aircon. Other than the expected heat output, I was cautioned regarding node distance. Little to/Of no difference throughout my 5 plants in there at the moment in my opinion with lights above the canopy at 50cm, but if ANYONE has any tips or advice for vegging and flowering under HPS - please - I am most open to any offering as this is my first HPS run and I want to see this through. My goal is to produce craft cannabis flower, not massive yields. There isn't a lot of content out there for HPS growers within the local community and I don't personally know of anyone else doing it on a small-scale at home. Hoping I can help contribute to some informative HPS reads in the future.

Sidenote : HPS lighting chows electricity. So far I'm seeing a R1000-R1200 increase in my monthly top ups on the prepaid meter during veg. Inclusive of fans and NO aircon (for now).

On 1/24/2021 at 1:42 PM, TrexTech_Extracts said:

My goal is to produce craft cannabis flower, not massive yields

Then HPS is your boy. The science says HPS has the best spectrum for flower to this day. I am 100% behind that statement and still own an entire air-cooled in-line HID setup sitting in the closet. However I completely replaced them with LEDs (Quantum Boards). 

Sidenote : HPS lighting chows electricity

I replaced 2 x 400W HIDs with 3 x 240W QB LEDs. 

My electricity cost every month was hovering just shy of R2k with the HIDs, with the LEDs I am now paying less than R1k.

I've noticed a certain look, appeal and structure that I'm after that I haven't really found with LED grows. Not to say I've tried every LED-grown flower (or other lighting for that matter), or knew every part of those flowers' journies, or the growers personally or whatever darn else they put into that grow.

In terms of quality of flower I can't fairly comment between the two setups. My grows currently are certainly much better than when I had the HID setup however my access to way better genetics from using HID as well as my skill as a grower have increased since. I am honing in on my particular setup and I am pretty sure I can get some ultra primo stuff in due time, not to say the latest harvest didn't bring bountiful plenty goodness. 

if ANYONE has any tips or advice for vegging and flowering under HPS - please - I am most open to any offering as this is my first HPS run and I want to see this through.

The heat was an absolute nightmare with HPS and I had to time my grow in the year to be closer to Winter just because of that. Just make sure to keep the heat in mind during flowering. 

• Like 3

Thank you for taking the time 🙏🏽 I'll be sure to document as much of the process as I can. Looking to add any positive contributions here 💯

On 1/26/2021 at 11:16 AM, Ill_Evan said:

Then HPS is your boy. The science says HPS has the best spectrum for flower to this day. I am 100% behind that statement and still own an entire air-cooled in-line HID setup sitting in the closet. However I completely replaced them with LEDs (Quantum Boards). 

My electricity cost every month was hovering just shy of R2k with the HIDs, with the LEDs I am now paying less than R1k.

In terms of quality of flower I can't fairly comment between the two setups. My grows currently are certainly much better than when I had the HID setup however my access to way better genetics from using HID as well as my skill as a grower have increased since. I am honing in on my particular setup and I am pretty sure I can get some ultra primo stuff in due time, not to say the latest harvest didn't bring bountiful plenty goodness. 

The heat was an absolute nightmare with HPS and I had to time my grow in the year to be closer to Winter just because of that. Just make sure to keep the heat in mind during flowering. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 11:16 AM, Ill_Evan said:

Howzit bud.. You by anny chance want to get rid of your HID Setup?

• Like 2