Outdoor Soil and Nutrients

Hey Growers,

I am almost ready to start my first official grow diary, but needing a little guidance on soil and nutrients as well as the best places to get hold of the stuff.

I am in Durban, to give you an idea of temp/humidity and location.

I have just ordered some Feminized seeds from Biltong and Buds.

The plan is, to have 4 plants growing in about 20 - 30l pots outdoor.

Mediums

I am planning on using FF Organic Classic Soil (Is this still a decent mix, or should I rather be looking for something different? Any Suggestions here?)

Nutrients

I have seen a lot of people talking BioBuzz products. What would you suggest for an outdoor grow and is it really necessary?

Pesticides

To be honest, haven't done much research on pesticides. What would you suggest and is it really necessary preparing for worst case scenarios or is it better to wait and see what nature throws at me?

My goal here is to grow some dank buds without needing to dig too deep into the wallet.

However, I am willing to purchase the necessary ingredients to make the end result, top quality 🙂

Hopefully above average to be honest 😂

• Like 2

Hi @BluntKnife, looking forward to follow along! 

I do grow my plants outdoors too and used FF soil so far. I always achieved good results. So I think you can't really go wrong with Freedom Farms.

The Biobizz range is also great especially if it's your first grow. It's very difficult to overdo it and burn your plants with biobizz. If you're on a tight budget get fishmix, grow and bloom.

Regarding insecticides/fungicides I always get my stuff once I know what I am dealing with. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hey @Fridgedoor,

Thank you for the response.

Ok, sweet. I will definitely go with the initial plan of FF.

Regarding the BioBizz stuff, how much would I need for 4 plants as I see they are sold in a 1l and a 5l.

Would you recommend going with the Bio-Grow for Veg and Bio-Bloom for flowering and would that be enough in regards to nutrients?

Or, what else would you recommend going with over the BioBizz range?

I am guessing there a huge noticeable difference in the quality of your buds when using nutrients?

Is it quite common to run into either insecticides/fungicides in each grow cycle? Noob question 🙂

• Like 1

Hey @BluntKnife

Sounds like it's going to be an epic grow. With regards to pests why not look into some cover crops which keep pests at bay or bring in other beneficial insects? 

In my experience I found it better to prepare and take precautions before the pests arrive. 

Good luck man looking forward to your grow. 

• Like 2

I would use the fishmix in veg as it is quite high in N. Bloom and grow can be used in combination during flowering. I think on the biobizz website you'll find the feeding charts which will give you an idea how much of what to feed. Topmax also helps to fatten up the buds. Some here use root Juice for the early stages. This way you might also get a good idea of how much you need for the season. I think 5 liters would be a bit much. Maybe start with 1-2 liters and get new stuff when needed. 

I think when it comes to taste or overall quality your soil is the most important factor but yes the fertilizer plays a role as well.

I also agree with @CoolJ that meeting precautions against pest is the way to go. If you've got super healthy plants they are able to fight of all kinds of pests and unwanted fungi. I am not too clued up on cover crops though. Maybe also take a look at compost teas used as foliar spray. I just wouldn't buy all kinds of bottled insecticides.

And yes, you'll most likely run into all sorts of pests, bad weather, etc along the grow. That's one of the challenges of growing outdoors but makes it also an interesting journey.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CoolJ said:

Hey @BluntKnife

Sounds like it's going to be an epic grow. With regards to pests why not look into some cover crops which keep pests at bay or bring in other beneficial insects? 

In my experience I found it better to prepare and take precautions before the pests arrive. 

Good luck man looking forward to your grow. 

Hey @CoolJ

Thanks for the reply man 🙂

What sort of cover crops would you suggest grows well in the warm/humid KZN weather?

Never actually thought of doing this, my mind went straight to pesticides 😂<span> 

1 minute ago, BluntKnife said:

Hey @CoolJ

Thanks for the reply man 🙂

What sort of cover crops would you suggest grows well in the warm/humid KZN weather?

Never actually thought of doing this, my mind went straight to pesticides 😂<span> 

I'm not entirely sure what pests you usually deal with in KZN I'm in the Cape but I'm thinking maybe coriander or marigold. 

But check out https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/cover-your-crop-seed-packs/ scroll down abit and they give a brief description of what each cover crop benefits.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fridgedoor said:

I would use the fishmix in veg as it is quite high in N. Bloom and grow can be used in combination during flowering. I think on the biobizz website you'll find the feeding charts which will give you an idea how much of what to feed. Topmax also helps to fatten up the buds. Some here use root Juice for the early stages. This way you might also get a good idea of how much you need for the season. I think 5 liters would be a bit much. Maybe start with 1-2 liters and get new stuff when needed. 

I think when it comes to taste or overall quality your soil is the most important factor but yes the fertilizer plays a role as well.

I also agree with @CoolJ that meeting precautions against pest is the way to go. If you've got super healthy plants they are able to fight of all kinds of pests and unwanted fungi. I am not too clued up on cover crops though. Maybe also take a look at compost teas used as foliar spray. I just wouldn't buy all kinds of bottled insecticides.

And yes, you'll most likely run into all sorts of pests, bad weather, etc along the grow. That's one of the challenges of growing outdoors but makes it also an interesting journey.

Ok awesome, I will go read up on the BioBizz website and look into compost teas as well, thanks bro.

I am pretty excited for the journey to be honest 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolJ said:

I'm not entirely sure what pests you usually deal with in KZN I'm in the Cape but I'm thinking maybe coriander or marigold. 

But check out https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/cover-your-crop-seed-packs/ scroll down abit and they give a brief description of what each cover crop benefits.

Ok awesome, thanks so much bro.

I will give this a bit of a read, appreciate it 🙂

• Like 1

Howdy @BluntKnife 

Yeah the ff and biobizz seems like a winning combo.

Grow and bloom is standard.

Fishmix and topmax  makes a bigg diff.

As the guys suggested start small with 1 liters. As the stuff does cost abit more then your average nutez.

1 of the members had a feeding chart for the ff soil with biobizz nutez. See below.

Also u share what strains u planning to grow bro.

Screenshot_20200801-091204_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200801-091230_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Growers,
I am almost ready to start my first official grow diary, but needing a little guidance on soil and nutrients as well as the best places to get hold of the stuff.
I am in Durban, to give you an idea of temp/humidity and location.
I have just ordered some Feminized seeds from Biltong and Buds.

The plan is, to have 4 plants growing in about 20 - 30l pots outdoor.

Mediums
I am planning on using FF Organic Classic Soil (Is this still a decent mix, or should I rather be looking for something different? Any Suggestions here?)

Nutrients
I have seen a lot of people talking BioBuzz products. What would you suggest for an outdoor grow and is it really necessary?

Pesticides
To be honest, haven't done much research on pesticides. What would you suggest and is it really necessary preparing for worst case scenarios or is it better to wait and see what nature throws at me?

My goal here is to grow some dank buds without needing to dig too deep into the wallet.
However, I am willing to purchase the necessary ingredients to make the end result, top quality
Hopefully above average to be honest
Welcome home@BluntKnife , lots of guys here that is masters with outdoors ( I'm not yet), mostly indoors and also want to do outdoors this year and the time to prepair is now.

With my indoor experience I just use the FF Classic in early veg because as is there is not alot of nutes in that mix. I now use FF Custom Craft mix and that works well just with water for the whole plant cycle. Some guys have experience here with Classic and Biobizz so let's wait for them.

Living soils you can buy that don't need alot to be added
FF Custom crafted
Just Cannibis
Orgasoil Mix
Organics Matters

Then I think 40L is a good size pot for outdoors as you don't have to water alot each day, 20L pot might need 2+ waterings a day when plant is big.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Howdy @BluntKnife 

Yeah the ff and biobizz seems like a winning combo.

Grow and bloom is standard.

Fishmix and topmax  makes a bigg diff.

As the guys suggested start small with 1 liters. As the stuff does cost abit more then your average nutez.

1 of the members had a feeding chart for the ff soil with biobizz nutez. See below.

Also u share what strains u planning to grow bro.

Screenshot_20200801-091204_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200801-091230_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hey @afternoon blazer,

Thank you for the reply bro, appreciate it.

I am getting, Banana Kush, Sunset Sherbet, Platinum OG and Bruce Banner 🙂

It's so dam hard picking seeds, Like I want them all 😂

Shot for the charts 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GGG said:

Welcome home@BluntKnife emoji12.png, lots of guys here that is masters with outdoors ( I'm not yet), mostly indoors and also want to do outdoors this year and the time to prepair is now.

With my indoor experience I just use the FF Classic in early veg because as is there is not alot of nutes in that mix. I now use FF Custom Craft mix and that works well just with water for the whole plant cycle. Some guys have experience here with Classic and Biobizz so let's wait for them.

Living soils you can buy that don't need alot to be added
FF Custom crafted
Just Cannibis
Orgasoil Mix
Organics Matters

Then I think 40L is a good size pot for outdoors as you don't have to water alot each day, 20L pot might need 2+ waterings a day when plant is big.

Hey @GGG,

Thanks for the reply bro 🙂

I have been so excited, looking through a few of the forums and seeing how knowledgeable and friendly everyone has been.

So awesome to be apart of the community here 🙂

I will totally look into the FF Custom Crafted soil as well.

Might try doing 1 pot with this to try and do some sort of comparisons or maybe I am thinking to big now, baby steps, 1 grow at a time 😂

• Like 1

Hey @GGG,
Thanks for the reply bro
I have been so excited, looking through a few of the forums and seeing how knowledgeable and friendly everyone has been.
So awesome to be apart of the community here
I will totally look into the FF Custom Crafted soil as well.
Might try doing 1 pot with this to try and do some sort of comparisons or maybe I am thinking to big now, baby steps, 1 grow at a time
Comparisons is Awsome, it helps all the followers to see how what soil performs and so you contribute to building up knowledge . All the soils is price wise in the same ballpark.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GGG said:

Comparisons is Awsome, it helps all the followers to see how what soil performs and so you contribute to building up knowledge emoji12.png. All the soils is price wise in the same ballpark.

So true dude. It is sounding like a great plan in the head right now 🙂

Hey @CoolJ
Thanks for the reply man
Never actually thought of doing this, my mind went straight to pesticides  

Aweh Bluntknife,
We growing organic outdoors on the north coast- unfortunately heat and humidity doesn't always work for us in the garden.
Pest wise depending on your grow space, humidity and ventilation- most common nasties to expect from own experience would be aphids, spidermite, whitefly, thrips and worms(butterflies)
Fungus wise - budrot and fusaria.

Companion plants helped quite a bit in deterring some nasties and attracting beneficial insects - basil, catnip and marigolds.
Sacrificial plants also assist passively- I've got pumpkin and gemsquash covered in mildew and aphids, but nothing on my cannabis. (Give the bugs something better to chow than your cannabis)

There are a number of products available for most pests, all with their pro's and con's, but to buy all of it would cost a penny. Just be carefull of systemic pesticides and organo phosfates.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

Aweh Bluntknife,
We growing organic outdoors on the north coast- unfortunately heat and humidity doesn't always work for us in the garden.
Pest wise depending on your grow space, humidity and ventilation- most common nasties to expect from own experience would be aphids, spidermite, whitefly, thrips and worms(butterflies)
Fungus wise - budrot and fusaria.

Companion plants helped quite a bit in deterring some nasties and attracting beneficial insects - basil, catnip and marigolds.
Sacrificial plants also assist passively- I've got pumpkin and gemsquash covered in mildew and aphids, but nothing on my cannabis. (Give the bugs something better to chow than your cannabis)

There are a number of products available for most pests, all with their pro's and con's, but to buy all of it would cost a penny. Just be carefull of systemic pesticides and organo phosfates.

Aweh @Bospatrollie2,

Oh nice bro. Silly question, is it ok for the plants to get a lot of shade during the day in these weather conditions compared to direct sunlight?

Or is more sun always the winner?

Thank you for all the info, appreciate it 🙂

This time of the year up until we hit Sept(more than 12hrs daylight) you want to use as much sun as possible imo.

Our girls are in full sun unless it's cloudy,

the plants only get shade when they finishing up (last 2 days)

The plants will grow in a shady area with dappled/indirect sunlight. Just try to maximize the sun that you've got.

They are germed indoors and planted out in the greenhouse to strengthen up(help avoid the goggas while they young), once I have 2 nodes they go outside in full sun.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

This time of the year up until we hit Sept(more than 12hrs daylight) you want to use as much sun as possible imo.

Our girls are in full sun unless it's cloudy,

the plants only get shade when they finishing up (last 2 days)

The plants will grow in a shady area with dappled/indirect sunlight. Just try to maximize the sun that you've got.

They are germed indoors and planted out in the greenhouse to strengthen up(help avoid the goggas while they young), once I have 2 nodes they go outside in full sun.

Awesome, thank you for the info @Bospatrollie2