Rockwool Seed Germination

Kiteloop

Hi guys. Recently popped some seeds for a indoor grow.

Soaked them water 24h, then paper towel method. Worked well and seeds germinated in 2 days. See photo.

e740c3ad-99d5-4c66-8b63-cb157a683032.thumb.jpg.217b3708b42c531565189c0253a2a9be.jpgIMG_8094.thumb.JPG.6500a0eab10fd6f719b2c987819c5013.JPG

Then they went into rockwool cubes and humidity dome + heating mat.
I recently bought a Samsumg Quantum bar setup 320W, but its currently dimmed to 25%.

Temp inside dome is 25'C

IMG_8080.thumb.JPG.4c1b90d5f5d81f3e6c00ba93ca7b150e.JPGIMG_8092.thumb.JPG.102ec51fd5d40cdecf7f5dfed96cbe15.JPG

They went into the Hudity dome on Monday, And seems to have stopped growing completely.
I def burnt them a little with the light in the beginning, but imediately dimmed the light down more.

Edited by Kiteloop

Once the seedlings have broken the surface you can start reducing humidity, open the vents up on the dome and eventually remove the dome entirely. 

Rockwools are such a mission to not over-water or accidentally dry-out, but I've used them in every grow so far. Just takes a lot of attention. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kiteloop said:

@Ill_Evan not sure why the seedlings would stop growing tho?

The cubes seem to have plenty of moisture in them. And inside the dome its 25'C

I dono my dude, I have dabbled in those damn rock wool things and have had the worst success rates with it... I have had better germination rates and over all growing from straight in the pot, but even better with jiffies cubes... 

@Ill_Evanand @Kiteloop I'd consider exploring other less tedious options than germinating in rockwool😜

10 minutes ago, CreX said:

I dono my dude, I have dabbled in those damn rock wool things and have had the worst success rates with it... I have had better germination rates and over all growing from straight in the pot, but even better with jiffies cubes... 

@Ill_Evanand @Kiteloop I'd consider exploring other less tedious options than germinating in rockwool😜

Trying out Eazy Plugs at the moment. Just popped the seeds into the plugs, no soaking. Two days later already got a few seedlings popping up. Easiest germination I've ever had 😂 just hoping they all come out. Shall see. 

20200607_140111.thumb.jpg.efae7f15b317c4c5df671fa99e258cc9.jpg

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Kiteloop said:

@Ill_Evan yeha man im going to see if there is any change over the next day or two, otherwise pop some new seeds with Jiffie pellets. 

Bummer coz these seeds were expensive. 

Feel you man, super bummer. I only got 1 out of 4 seeds to pop per plant when germinating for my current grow. Even though I only needed 1 per strain I was doing, I still had a massive failure rate. 

But don't now get overly cautious when you pop the next ones in the Jiffies. You're gonna feel hellah anxious and want to literally check every minute for progress, I know the feeling. Soak your Jiffies, sow your seeds, and literally leave them alone for two days in a humidity dome. The less you think on it, the better the pop. It is the curse we have. 

• Agree 1

I have dabbled with Jiffys, Rock wool and Eazi plugs(these are the best). When I use rock wool I soak/rinse them in PH5 once or twice until the water they in are about PH 5,5-5,8 and then usually they good to go and better than Jiffys for me, but yeah as said above they hold water espesially at the bottom part and over water them can happen when just checking top part.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, GGG said:

I have dabbled with Jiffys, Rock wool and Eazi plugs(these are the best). When I use rock wool I soak/rinse them in PH5 once or twice until the water they in are about PH 5,5-5,8 and then usually they good to go and better than Jiffys for me, but yeah as said above they hold water espesially at the bottom part and over water them can happen when just checking top part.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

That's my issue with rockwool, the ph is just wrong. I soak my jiffy pellets in distilled water for a few minutes, give them a light squeeze and they good to go.

So i'm going to give the JIffy Pellets a go. Seeds have been soaking for 20h.
I think my issue with the Rockwool was that the PH was too high, I took one out, soaked it and tested the water and is was PH - 8 🤬

This time im using bottled water, and double checking the PH

• Like 2

Iv found jiffies very forgiving... 

I use straight tap water with the jiffies, unphed even... And leave the seeds... 

So far iv had 99% success.... 

It would be higher... But I was impatient and started digging around and I damaged a taproot... 

So now I set em and leave em.... And make sure the bowl has water in it so the jiffies don't dry out

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Cool, and then they can go under your light... Don't be afraid to give them too much light... 

As long as they are far from the heat they can get all the light they want, just like outside under the sun.

It's more cuttings that need low light conditions to get them to transpire less and focus on rooting. 

TBH I put them under my light from the moment I sow them 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kiteloop said:

@CreX So i used some bought bottled water just to be safe, comes Ph6,5 as standard.
put them in a clear container with a lid and in a dark, warm cabinet. 

Not touching them for 2full days, maybe even 3.

I'd just gooi them straight under the light once you've popped them in the Jiffies 8-) 

8 minutes ago, Kiteloop said:

@Ill_Evan Look very very healthy 

Tell me what are the Temps like in your tent currently?
I assume these little ones are without a dome now?
And how often did you water these plugs?

Temp currently is 24C, I'd say pretty much stable. 

They are without a dome, yes.

I soaked them at germination and left them alone for 3 days until the seedling appeared. Then gave them a light spray whenever the cube got light and dry, say about once every two days. Now feeding from the bottom in net pots in preparation for them to go into the DWC 👌

• Like 1

I've just used the rockwool for germination the first time as I ran out of jiffy pellets, and had some from cloning, honestly all have popped, but I will not be using them again, pH is key and to 5.5 or so, flushing them first, but much easier is the jiffy.

Wouldn't mind those easy plugs, look like they work a charm. Next time.

• Like 1