Hard purple stems

GGG

Hi guys, I learned alot on @420SA the past year and just love the idea that it's local.

I'm not sure if it's PH or temps but growth is not happening.

Growing in soil ( 1st time and loving it) and much to learn still.

My temps range fron 20-30 in veg room and I think it's the low side of the temps that can cause the purple, so the rain water is PH 7-7,1 and I brought it down to 6,3.

My in-line fan is on permanently so I thing when lights are of the heater can't keep up with the air being sucked through the room, but il connect the fan to the digital temperature thing tomorrow.

All went well till 3 weeks ago.

Any advise fellow growers? 3eeccef34bdf90e58ff154df8f3a2dd6.jpga289d5ea0d9bbaa1818a06146e878612.jpg0be814ad2f8331c0bb69f6f7433444f9.jpgab6ed364f3632532a606a91f09831b3c.jpg

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Purple comes from one of three things, in order of occurance:

1. Mg deficiency - feed epson salts. Half a tsp per liter.

2. Consistant low temps below 16 degrees.

3. Genetics, although this is rarely the case.

I will add that with purpling as bad as you have it, you might not be able to correct it. 

I would add some Mg and see what happens. 

Try to not pH adjust your water, especially rain water. Since you are in organics. You may be causing the lockout. Let the soil manage pH. It's only in coco or hydro that you adjust pH imo.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

Hello

The biggest reason you will see the stems go hard is through lack of root space and nutrients. The stems going purple and woody is from the plant absorbing nutrients from the stem to use further up in the plant for new growth. The nutrient that has the biggest affect is phosphorous and then second nitrogen. A stem that has gone woody will not go back to being supple ever again. You will have to monitor stems further up the plant that are still supple to see if they go purple and woody then your condition is worsening. 

It's also important that I mention that some plants can get purple stems or purple striped stems without going woody and this is more of a genetic predisposition to accumulation of anthocyanin and not a nutrient absorption problem. In your pics above it looks like the former above mentioned explanation. 

• Like 3

Good advice so far ^^ Lets go into the color.

Red stems can have a PH, environment (transplanting shock for example) or Temp issue. But in general you wait a week to decide what to do.. as long as the plant seems to grow normal. Red isn't the worst color to have on the stems.

If you are violet and your plant is also growing very slowly you can have the above mentioned issues: Mag level low, Temp (in general low temp, around 16C), incorrect PH or simply humidity totally off.

Other issues which can cause stem coloring are transplant shock, light burn and over watering.

If your plant grows normal and just gets color on the stems.. i would guess first on genetics doing the change, just watch those babies very carefully each day. Over all picture of the plants are more on the healthy side, so wouldn't go in panic mode yet. Try to trace back if you caused it.. otherwise.. let it grow and see, would be my advice.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Try to not pH adjust your water, especially rain water. Since you are in organics. You may be causing the lockout. Let the soil manage pH. It's only in coco or hydro that you adjust pH imo.

I very much agree with Totemic on this one 👌🧐 

• Like 1

Thx guys , only thing that changed if I go back in time is that split my veg room in two, and the cooler temps the last few weeks, they used to be under a 300w led and now under 170 w. Mostly been using the FF Classic and rainwater after clones rooted and never had a problem before and never adjusted water either. Going to change the airflow and will see from there

• Like 1

The only time I had issues with soil was when I did not PH my water / feeds, once I started to PH my water / feeds in organic soil I did not have any issues.

Even with organic soils which are buffered I still like to and recommend one PH their water / feed first.

If the airflow / higher temps do not help, I'd also say give some Epsom Salts / CalMag and see if that helps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On the soil side it looks like no correction is needed in general, on FF website they do advise to try and keep in a bracket, luckily the difference is much more than with nutes and coco.
Adjusted the exhaust fan to only come on when it's above 28 and the intake fan will be working the whole time and heater will come on when it goes down to 24. We will know tomorrow if it helped during the night.

• Like 1

Soo manage to get low temps up to 22,5 and it looks like that's just for a few minutes when lights go of at 8 in the morning and then it stabilizes at 24-25, that should be fine. There was a bit of new growth and not sure if it's the temps or the PH adjustment, I usually change more than one thing and then don't know what helped.....
Let's give it a week and see.